GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Biden Moves To Outlaw Acorns, Limit Squirrel Immigration

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
It's not like we don't realize fuel efficient vehicles are available in the US.

Now you do, but for ages its been "there ain't no substitute for cubic inches"...& when fuel over there is so cheap compared to other countries ..where's the incentive to get more fuel efficient engines??..

I mean that's pretty asinine view point considering that most Americans have to drive far to their place of work and our country is way bigger and more spread out than GB or the main EU countries. Also public transportation basically doesn't exist outside of major cities.
Public transport outside cities in the UK is crap also....where I live you really do need a car to get around ...

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
I wish ours was that low.....

Currently over here is it lower than it has been for years...£1.20/lt petrol...approx 4lt to a USA gallon......so £4.80/USA gallon...exchange rate is £1 = $1.37...so £4.80 = $6.57per USA gallon.

About time you lot had to pay the same as we do for fuel..might make you realise most of your cars are not fuel efficient.
yeah but exhaust pipe goes crackle crackle pop

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
When they figure out how to fully charge batteries in 5 to 10 min, get 300 miles range, and get 100,000 miles reliably out of the batteries, IC engines are done. That's just the reality.

I wish they'd stop trying to build electrics that do 0 to 60 in 2 seconds, it's a cool party trick and all, but I'm more interested in normal performance, with more range, price parity with ICE and being able to charge quickly.

Last edited:

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Now you do, but for ages its been "there ain't no substitute for cubic inches"...& when fuel over there is so cheap compared to other countries ..where's the incentive to get more fuel efficient engines??..

Public transport outside cities in the UK is crap also....where I live you really do need a car to get around ...
Yeah but how far do you have to drive? Driving from Glasgow to London is only 7hrs haha

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
yeah but exhaust pipe goes crackle crackle pop

You can get pops & bangs tunes over here no problems if you want to be a chav...

When they figure out how to fully charge batteries in 5 to 10 min, get 300 miles range, and get 100,000 miles reliably out of the batteries, IC engines are done. That's just the reality.

Agreed.....but it might help if the batteries were made correctly first as Ford have found out ...want to buy a Ford hybrid where you can't use the battery section as its "contaminated"...!!

Yeah but how far do you have to drive? Driving from Glasgow to London is only 7hrs haha

I've driven a lot further than that & my parents used to drive almost the length of the country.....but distance is NO excuse for bad fuel efficiency..& neither is speed.....before we had the Gatso speed cameras my step dad used to drive from London to the north of Scotland averaging over 70mph..which means he was doing 90mph at times..& do it in a short time in a small Volvo (340) & still got decent mpg....

Last edited:

cb1111

He did kill the Keystone pipeline project which would have helped ensure that we stay self sufficient for energy requirements. And yes I understand the pipeline had potential environmental impacts.
Especially considering that the alternative (for Canada) is to sell it to China and (for us) to bring it to refineries by rail.

Kneejerk action without considering any of the possible impacts.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn

I wish they'd stop trying to build electrics that do 0 to 60 in 2 seconds, it's a cool party trick and all, but I'm more interested in normal performance, with more range, price parity with ICE and being able to charge quickly.
Solid state batteries are starting to look more promising. If they are able to work that out and scale it, it is going to be a total game-changer.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Electric cars are too expensive for most people still.

Especially when you consider the size of the vehicle they'd be replacing. You can't exactly replace a Suburban with a model 3.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Electric cars are too expensive for most people still.

Especially when you consider the size of the vehicle they'd be replacing. You can't exactly replace a Suburban with a model 3.
Most people don’t “need” the Suburban that they own, though.

Murica, land of excess...

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Certainly.

My friends who have foolishly reproduced were immediately buying 7 passenger SUVs and I'm like...there's 3 of you, and one of y'all is still only 15 pounds.

Wife plus two kids.

Still fit in a GTI. “Needing” a 7-seat crossover is bullshit.