GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Biden Moves To Outlaw Acorns, Limit Squirrel Immigration

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
mine flutuates but we're on the high side of the national median pricing. it was a pain in the ass having electric driven heat in my first apartment after college but have been on a NG heat source since so it's not quite as bad as before when paying all my bills.
I think all the north east pricing is a hair higher than the national average

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Dude, it's bad. I sit awake at night and think of things like "Ok, if I strip the mods off my GTI and sell them, along with the equity I have in the car, and chip in a bit extra, I can scrounge up $10k to put down on a $30k car. A S3 with a JB4 will probably be around the same power as my stage 2 GTI, but with the haldex and a more comfy ride and better technology..."

As long as I can avoid test driving one, I can wait for it to pass.
A3 with fake Quattro is a cheaper option too

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
A3 with fake Quattro is a cheaper option too

It is, but too similar to the GTI to make it worthwhile.

Also, it has the same Quattro as the S3 & RS3 (but probably different software across the 3). All the Quattro's with transverse engines use the haldex. Only longitudinal engines get the better torsen Quattro system.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I could never justify an RS3, even though I could probably afford one with a bit of planning and saving. But it would be hard to justify a $30k S3, nevermind a $55k RS3. My wife and I bought a $200k house, I can't park a $50k in it's driveway...

That is an incredibly dangerous gamble. Because I could easily decide the added comfort and technology outweigh the little bit less fun.

But I am curious as to what would make it less fun to drive in your mind. It has the same exact length and wheel base as a GTI/R. So it should handle the same. Same engine and turbo as the R, so it should get up and go the same. Same (as far as I can tell) DQ381 7spd as the 2019 GTI/R... On paper, the "fun" should be the same.

Unless, you're just saying it would be less fun because it doesn't have a third pedal...
Because haldex on the r and s3 is terrible. I'd take a fwd over that haldex every time.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
It is, but too similar to the GTI to make it worthwhile.

Also, it has the same Quattro as the S3 & RS3 (but probably different software across the 3). All the Quattro's with transverse engines use the haldex. Only longitudinal engines get the better torsen Quattro system.
The a4 is pretty sweet

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The a4 is pretty sweet

It is. But that is far less fun to drive than a GTI. My friend bought a 2018 A4 for his wife that I've driven a few times. The ride is comfortable as hell and the technology is fantastic (not to mention cooled seat, those are incredible), but it feels like you're driving a boat, and doesn't have the same uumph as a GTI.

I think that may be part of the underlying desire for the S3, get that good middle ground. Some of the luxury of the A4, with most of the fun and quickness of the GTI...

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
It is. But that is far less fun to drive than a GTI. My friend bought a 2018 A4 for his wife that I've driven a few times. The ride is comfortable as hell and the technology is fantastic (not to mention cooled seat, those are incredible), but it feels like you're driving a boat, and doesn't have the same uumph as a GTI.

I think that may be part of the underlying desire for the S3, get that good middle ground. Some of the luxury of the A4, with most of the fun and quickness of the GTI...
Makes sense. I think the a4 is a hair over 2 tons

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Made by borg Warner. Totally different systems. Sure. But it’s still the same. The RS‘s components are way stronger. Sure.
It's the same just like gtis and porsche gt3rs both have 4 wheels. They're the same.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
It's the same just like gtis and porsche gt3rs both have 4 wheels. They're the same.
😂 u have no idea what you’re talking about. It’s the same shit. Made by the same company except the rs’s system is stronger and it’s programming is different

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI