GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Biden Moves To Outlaw Acorns, Limit Squirrel Immigration

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I'm not sure where I fall regarding the cake makers having been a a business owner my whole life. I would have baked the cake regardless of my viewpoint if for no other reason then making a profit. If I had been the one wanting the cake I just would have taken my business to a different cake maker.
What if they wanted a cake that said "Kill the ______ "

not calling you out in anyway and as I mentioned earlier I believe they should not be allowed to discriminate against any non-hateful thing. More just for conversation because anything other than mayo can be good.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I can assure you it didn't have anything to do with explaining to my kids how it came to be that Noah and his incestuous family somehow weren't haplessly murdered by the Kodiak bears, Kimodo dragons, and wild elephants they smuggled onto the ark...
Whatever. But you still can't tell him how to raise his children and it's outrageous of you to even think that you can. No more than he can tell you how to raise your's. I guess you're not going to give some examples of your rules so we can critique them. But I wouldn't expect you to as that's a private matter for all parents.

cb1111

I would agree for the most part, but sexuality is a protected class in our country, thus discrimination based on the same is illegal.

If cake makers don’t like this law, they can push to change it. Until then, they cannot refuse service based on the customer’s sexuality. The only reason the bakery got off the hook for a clear civil rights violation was not based in constitutional law, but rather the lower “court’s“ apparent religious bias/undertones. SCOTUS found the decision makers flawed, rather than the decision itself. But, in law, this happens a lot.

A simple, “we are all booked up for that timeframe and can’t take any others, I’m sorry.” But they didn’t, they made it a very clear case of discrimination, and broke the law... then they got off with a lucky technicality.
I like CB's post but to clarify my opinion. I would not allow the cake makers the right to discriminate and I think all forms of birth control should be part of all insurance plans. I like much of Obama care and believe insurance should be a basic right.
I think those cake makers are religious nuts and nobody should buy from them, but they had a loophole to "prove" their point. Nobody should care about someone else's sexual orientation. Any extremist view is dangerous, but if it isn't illegal....

After 20+ years in civil rights (it was a while ago), I find the decision abhorrent - but it was a decision and those idiots did it again not too long ago - which is why I said "why would you want to buy from them?"

Oh, and certainly, birth control supplied by insurance just makes so much sense - to those that think otherwise - abstain from any form of sex except for the express purpose of making a baby

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Whatever. But you still can't tell him how to raise his children and it's outrageous of you to even think that you can. No more than he can tell you how to raise your's. I guess you're not going to give some examples of your rules so we can critique them. But I wouldn't expect you to as that's a private matter for all parents.
We've gradually done exactly that over the thousands of years. Do you think you could "discipline" children today the way they were in 1900? You'd end up in jail pretty fast.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I'm over 100 pages behind, not even going to try to catch up. Just read the last page or two. Zrick is back at his original conspiracy theories, there's a new Jeebus Freak, the usual cast is still playing misinformation whack-a-mole, did I miss anything else?

PS - got the J&J vaccine Saturday, no significant side effects. Thousands vaccinated at the event, no one died.
Welcome back bro!

cb1111

What if they wanted a cake that said "Kill the ______ "

not calling you out in anyway and as I mentioned earlier I believe they should not be allowed to discriminate against any non-hateful thing. More just for conversation because anything other than mayo can be good.
But who decides it is hateful. Aside from the fact that these loons wanted to prove a point, they claim that gay marriage was offensive to them - and a court agreed with them.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
We've gradually done exactly that over the thousands of years. Do you think you could "discipline" children today the way they were in 1900? You'd end up in jail pretty fast.
I agree to a point. Some parents did what we would call beating a child today but things like spanking are still practiced just not to an extreme.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Fun fact: Just because you don't know you were mentally and emotionally stunted from being hit as a kid, doesn't mean you weren't.

cb1111

If our kids did what we did in school then they'd be in jail. I regularly carried a pocket knife in 3rd grade to play mubletypeg and to slice up an apple. I brought and old broken PPK to show and tell and that was the mild stuff.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Getting hit and being abused aren't the same thing.

Discipline and abuse are not the same thing.

If you don't know where the line is you're an abuser, but being a disciplinarian doesn't automatically make you an abuser.

I was the kind of kid who would👏not👏learn👏 the easy way. I would only react to the consequences I was afraid of. 🤷‍♂️

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Fun fact: Just because you don't know you were mentally and emotionally stunted from being hit as a kid, doesn't mean you weren't.
The reverse of that can also be true. You could have been hit as a kid and not be stunted mentally or emotionally.