GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Biden Moves To Outlaw Acorns, Limit Squirrel Immigration

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
This seems preferable to what CA is doing at this point. Emissions should be pass or fail, no matter what mods you have. You either meet emissions standards at the tailpipe or you don't.
Rapid pass requires you to pass at least 2-3 times a year. Every 2 years. All you have to do is drive through it. So folks who are swapping down pipes are screwed.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Rapid pass requires you to pass at least 2-3 times a year. Every 2 years. All you have to do is drive through it. So folks who are swapping down pipes are screwed.
Meh, I'm keeping stock DP, unless it turns into a dedicated track car.

Anyway, set a standard, you either pass at the tailpipe or not.

If someone can't pass emissions, they shouldn't be driving it on the road. Sorry, not sorry.

Last edited:

cb1111

This seems preferable to what CA is doing at this point. Emissions should be pass or fail, no matter what mods you have. You either meet emissions standards at the tailpipe or you don't.
Yes, but in VA there is also a physical safety inspection that sometimes checks for mods.

There is a black market for renting un-modded cars for a few hours at meets. You find a car that looks like yours, rent it and swap plates while you drive by a rapidpass location. You swap plates back and you've passed emissions.

But yes, as long as you are compliant, there should be no reason to look for mods. If you can get compliant without cats then you should be given a medal.

cb1111

VA is different. You need to pass once before your next test in two years. Once you've passed, you get a bill in the mail for the $28 emissions test fee. Once paid, the system will disregard your plate for another 18 months or so.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Yes, but in VA there is also a physical safety inspection that sometimes checks for mods.

There is a black market for renting un-modded cars for a few hours at meets. You find a car that looks like yours, rent it and swap plates while you drive by a rapidpass location. You swap plates back and you've passed emissions.

But yes, as long as you are compliant, there should be no reason to look for mods. If you can get compliant without cats then you should be given a medal.
That black market for unmodded cars is kinda genius.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
In Indiana you don’t need to pass anything... ever. I had to have my car inspected my the sheriffs office when I bought it, but that was only because I bought it out of state. And even then they didn’t really look at anything.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Meh, I'm keeping stock DP.

If someone can't pass emissions, they shouldn't be driving it on the road. Sorry, not sorry.
I wish there was better availability of emissions compliant, high flow cats. They exist, they're just expensive and most of the aftermarket seems geared towards "faster for cheaper". AWE had the only compliant one on the market when I was shopping, but it was always unavailable or backordered. I would have gladly paid extra to not fight with spacers or DP swaps and have clean emissions.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
CT new cars were exempt from inspection for first 5 years. Great if if you buy a new car every few years. Lol.

cb1111

That black market for unmodded cars is kinda genius.
I was picking up some Krispy Kremes a couple of years ago driving my wife's Civic when they had a Honda meet and a guy came up to me and said "can I rent your car for an hour? I'll give you $100" I declined and suggested he find one on Turo.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
In Texas, a lil cash gets you a pass lol
Most counties don't even go that far. I grew up in a county that did emissions, but basically every BFE county around DFW was just visual inspection. I had my Celica registered in one of those counties and they'd just make sure my blinkers worked and send me on my way.

When I lived in Albuquerque (that county tested emissions), my Celica ran so dirty at low RPM that I'd switch on the rear defroster when I drove to the emissions stall to kick the idle speed up by ~20 RPM or so. That was literally enough to pass. Without the extra current draw bumping up my idle speed, my HC numbers would be too high.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

you mean like TUV, Shakken-sho, etc? Yeah.
What kind of dystopian state you guys driving around in where cops impound cars for being modified? 'Round here, people can drive the most ratchet shit and nobody cares.

CA. The SMOG laws, and the powers they give to the government, would make Zrickety’s head explode.

I live in a state that doesn’t have those issues anymore. Cops don’t fuck with my car when they are too busy kneeling on peoples necks.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Meh, I'm keeping stock DP, unless it turns into a dedicated track car.

This is the issue. EPA wants you to pass at the tail pipe. While fucking carb wants to try and fuck u at every corner

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I think CA and states that enforce federal emissions laws are getting a bad wrap here, because they address our person sacred cow, car modding.

But in reality, it's already illegal in every state to tamper with your cars emissions equipment on a federal level.

The same LaW aNd OrDeR types that are ok with cops choking a dude to death or shooting them for selling loose cigarettes or jaywalking, justifying it with JuSt ObEy ThE LaW, are the same ones that won't wear masks when mandated, want to overthrow the government, and elected Trump, who has a lifelong history of getting away with criminality.

But sure, a catalic converter is oppression, fight the man.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This is the issue. EPA wants you to pass at the tail pipe. While fucking carb wants to try and fuck u at every corner
Not really. EPA and Federal law say removing emissions equipment or altering emissions is illegal.