GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Biden Moves To Outlaw Acorns, Limit Squirrel Immigration

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Mopeds just get in the way. Most of the people I see on mopeds can't go fast enough to even go the speed limit.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
We have a 01 Honda crv still gets 30mpg and that fucker will take you just about any place you want to go.

I have a 2 stroke moped for short trips and people laugh at me. Lol

I.e. you are being sensible...

Like in London loads of Range Rovers, Merc G class, BMW X5, Porsche, "Chelsea tractors" as they are known, after the borough of Chelsea where they are common. Most never see anything more off road than a tiny strip of grass near the kerb...& usually stuck in London where the majority of the speed limit is 30mph & slower...& they transport wife & one skinny kid...

They'd be better off with an electric Smart car, Mini....or VW E-up.

Its all about "look at me I have this big expensive car"...actually you DON'T own that car as most new cars in the past 15yrs are "bought" on hire purchase or similar financial arangements..so the bank owns it..

Self obsessed sycophantic idiots the lot of them...

Reactions: WAP

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Auto loans are at around 2% for people with good credit. It's actually financially soooo dumb to buy a car outright at those loan rates

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Mopeds just get in the way. Most of the people I see on mopeds can't go fast enough to even go the speed limit.
Mopeds are excellent for inner-city stuff. Tight turns, short blocks, lots of stops, cruising at 25. As soon as the speed limit is higher than 40-45 or they're in suburban type environments, they're just a nuisance.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I had one of those when I was a kid and I changed out a couple parts to get it going about 30 mph. With those little tires that thing wasn't very safe even at 30...can't imagine what it'd be like going 60-80 mph.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Auto loans are at around 2% for people with good credit. It's actually financially soooo dumb to buy a car outright at those loan rates

Try 0%...

And even zero % interest with great credit.

To both above, at 0% I'd get on credit..but I'd still keep the car long term.....just that in the past 20yrs peoples attitudes to cars has seriously changed..They used to be kept for at least 6yrs as they were the second most expensive item most people bought, other than their home.

Now cars are seen as "disposable" & over here they take the car for 2-3yrs & ditch it before the end of the 3yr as they have to submit it for an MOT. Usually by this time the car requires some serious work as its been on the lowest/cheapest maintenance package which was included with the hire purchase contract.

Its just the marketing people selling their "have it now" brainwashing, which doesn't benefit the planet, causes masses of pollution & wastage of materials in making the cars, etc....

One of my mates in the past 20yrs has had 14 cars....3 of which are "current".....half at least on the never never, & swapped in 2yrs.....I wind him up over the amount he's spent & lost ..especially when he says I'm mad for spending money modding my cars....I haven't spent of lost anywhere near the amount he has!!!!

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I wish ours was that low.....

Currently over here is it lower than it has been for years...£1.20/lt petrol...approx 4lt to a USA gallon......so £4.80/USA gallon...exchange rate is £1 = $1.37...so £4.80 = $6.57per USA gallon.

About time you lot had to pay the same as we do for fuel..might make you realise most of your cars are not fuel efficient.
They have been screwing you for years...petrol should never cost that much.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
When they figure out how to fully charge batteries in 5 to 10 min, get 300 miles range, and get 100,000 miles reliably out of the batteries, IC engines are done. That's just the reality.

I wish they'd stop trying to build electrics that do 0 to 60 in 2 seconds, it's a cool party trick and all, but I'm more interested in normal performance, with more range, price parity with ICE and being able to charge quickly.
Batteries and the electricity to charge them still come from dirty sources. We lack the infrastructure for charging also, Top Gear/Grand Tour covered this.
VW has made a great electric with the ID3 but they won't sell them to us.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
They have been screwing you for years...petrol should never cost that much.

Petrol doesn't cost that much in any country..its the taxes/duty imposed by the Government.

You see over here in UK & most of Europe to encourage more fuel efficient cars they upped the petrol costs..& they also upped the yearly road tax for cars with high emissions...

This is why we have smaller engine options, smaller cars etc...go look at Japan, much higher taxes/duty on fuels cars etc..that also why they have the "kei" car class..sub 1lt engine size....brilliant little cars though!

Big engines means more weight for the car to handle which affects handling...also more heat to manage which means bigger cooling systems...go look at Gordon Murray & why he designs cars a certain way..& yes I know he does big engine cars, but they are still lighter/faster than many similar...he also designed small cars like the T50 & others...