GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Economy So Strong That eBay Hard Up For Business

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Wait, we talking pickles now? I'm Claussen guy and I'll fight anyone who says Vlasics are better.
View attachment 205979

He knows. I was a Vlasics guy until a co-worker told me about Claussen.

Hellmans Mayo and Claussen pickles on a nice juicy burger 🤘

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The vast majority of judges are absolutely not doctors.
And yet. Here they are. Pretending to be doctors. They're terribly unqualified. All the damn courts are. This isn't something that should be up for debate. This is practically a human right.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I strongly disagree with a minimum wage being raised that much across the board. The reason that I disagree is the huge disparity in cost of living depending on what part of the country you live in. In places with a very low cost of living, under which catagory I fall, I see no way that small business owners could possibly hope to be able to pay that much without dramatically raising prices. If they raise their prices to compensate, they will not get the business anymore. It doesn’t take anywhere near as much money to live in Southern Indiana as it does to live in LA or New England.
I don't agree with not raising the min. wage that much across the board. What I do agree with is raising the min. wage even more than $15/hr in high/extreme COL areas. Let's break it down.

At $15/hr, working full time, someone would make $31,200/yr before tax. After ~11% federal income tax, 6.2% social security, 2.9% medicaid, ~5% state income tax (only 9 states don't have it, so let's assume the worst), we get $23,244/yr, or $1,937/mo. Let's take the age-old "you should spend 1/3 of your monthly income on rent", and we have a rent budget of $645. That's really doable in a lot of cities! I was able to live alone in a little bungalow studio for $635/mo in Albuquerque as recently as last year. Very doable in lots of places. Even more doable if you have roommates. If you're single and young, $15/hr is almost too much in some cities. But not nearly enough in other, higher COL cities. You'd need 3 or even 4 roommates in places like LA, SF, or NYC to be able to only spend $645/mo in rent.
But that's IF you work full time. Most young people work part-time, so let's assume they get to work 30hr/wk. Taking that into account, their monthly take home becomes $1,460 and 1/3 of that is $486. Bit harder, but still doable in some lower COL places. Even more difficult in the very high COL cities.

Now lets look at the often forgotten demographic that works at min. wage. The single-income people in their 30s and 40s trying to support some number of children. Not everyone went to college or found a trade or got a good job. Lots of folks are still scraping by on min. wage decades after they were expected to move onto bigger and better things. With all these extra costs (higher grocery bill, car payment, high insurance bill to cover the family, various other insurances, etc., etc.), even $15/hr starts to look way, way too low. Even at $15/hr, people like this may still have to be on food stamps. This is looking bleak, but survivable in the lowest COL areas. You can even forget about considering this situation in high COL areas without mountains and mountains of stress and debt.

A blanket min. wage isn't the best thing to do, I agree. But with all the inaction on a state level, what else can the federal government do? The onus should absolutely be on the states' shoulders to raise their own, individual minimum wages. Even some cities are taking that responsibility, locally. So do we wait for state and local governments to finally do something after decades of not doing anything? Or do we at least take a baby step in the right direction as a country?
Ideally, variably raising the min. wage as a function of COL across the country is absolutely the way to go. But that will never, ever happen without at least 67 Democratic Senators, 290 Democratic State Representatives, and they all have to be in complete agreement with each other. Without a super majority that doesn't have their collective heads up their asses, something like this would never happen. It's really up to individual states and cities for the foreseeable future.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Can a 1 year old survive on its own outside the womb?
We're talking about abortions, so why even bring this up? You can sit down now. Shuffle through your notes and find out where you fucked up.

Aborting a 1yo child is called murder.

Aborting a 1-month-old fetus is called removing a tumor.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
The US courts disagree with you.
Oh, you mean the courts that made sure that abortion is a legal right on a federal level? Those courts?

Or the courts in Jesustown, Missouri that are just three Christian pastors and a basset hound that can raise its paw?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Aborting a 1-month-old fetus is called removing a tumor.
Wow. It's literally ending a human life. If you can admit that it's one thing, but calling it a tumor is even more disgraceful.

Life begins at conception. You clearly made a point that it can't survive on it's own, and I made a point that neither can a 1 year old. Neither can a 2 year old, 3, 4, etc.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Wow. It's literally ending a human life. If you can admit that it's one thing, but calling it a tumor is even more disgraceful.

Life begins at conception. You clearly made a point that it can't survive on it's own, and I made a point that neither can a 1 year old. Neither can a 2 year old, 3, 4, etc.

I don't think life starts at conception so no it's not ending a life to ME.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
I don't agree with not raising the min. wage that much across the board. What I do agree with is raising the min. wage even more than $15/hr in high/extreme COL areas. Let's break it down.

At $15/hr, working full time, someone would make $31,200/yr before tax. After ~11% federal income tax, 6.2% social security, 2.9% medicaid, ~5% state income tax (only 9 states don't have it, so let's assume the worst), we get $23,244/yr, or $1,937/mo. Let's take the age-old "you should spend 1/3 of your monthly income on rent", and we have a rent budget of $645. That's really doable in a lot of cities! I was able to live alone in a little bungalow studio for $635/mo in Albuquerque as recently as last year. Very doable in lots of places. Even more doable if you have roommates. If you're single and young, $15/hr is almost too much in some cities. But not nearly enough in other, higher COL cities. You'd need 3 or even 4 roommates in places like LA, SF, or NYC to be able to only spend $645/mo in rent.
But that's IF you work full time. Most young people work part-time, so let's assume they get to work 30hr/wk. Taking that into account, their monthly take home becomes $1,460 and 1/3 of that is $486. Bit harder, but still doable in some lower COL places. Even more difficult in the very high COL cities.

Now lets look at the often forgotten demographic that works at min. wage. The single-income people in their 30s and 40s trying to support some number of children. Not everyone went to college or found a trade or got a good job. Lots of folks are still scraping by on min. wage decades after they were expected to move onto bigger and better things. With all these extra costs (higher grocery bill, car payment, high insurance bill to cover the family, various other insurances, etc., etc.), even $15/hr starts to look way, way too low. Even at $15/hr, people like this may still have to be on food stamps. This is looking bleak, but survivable in the lowest COL areas. You can even forget about considering this situation in high COL areas without mountains and mountains of stress and debt.

A blanket min. wage isn't the best thing to do, I agree. But with all the inaction on a state level, what else can the federal government do? The onus should absolutely be on the states' shoulders to raise their own, individual minimum wages. Even some cities are taking that responsibility, locally. So do we wait for state and local governments to finally do something after decades of not doing anything? Or do we at least take a baby step in the right direction as a country?
Ideally, variably raising the min. wage as a function of COL across the country is absolutely the way to go. But that will never, ever happen without at least 67 Democratic Senators, 290 Democratic State Representatives, and they all have to be in complete agreement with each other. Without a super majority that doesn't have their collective heads up their asses, something like this would never happen. It's really up to individual states and cities for the foreseeable future.
I absolutely agree with you. This is part of what concerns me though...

“48 percent of all US employees work for small businesses, down from 52 percent in the early 2000s. 18 percent of all US employees work for businesses with fewer than 20 employees.”

What will it do to the economy both large scale and in the individual communities, especially the small towns? I foresee a considerable increase in unemployment levels and small business closures. They have already taken a bit hit from COVID. I don’t think that they are ready for this. I absolutely believe that something needs to be done. I just don’t think that is the answer at this time. Perhaps a progressive tax system where lower income households might not be responsible for any tax? The mega rich need to be taxed more heavily. The Republicans are always for tax cuts for the rich because they say that it will stimulate the economy. That simply is not so. Rich people spend money differently. They may make large purchases, but they do not spend money on a ton of “stuff”. That is actually the spending habits that “poor” people exhibit. So if you stop taxing them, they will reinvest in goods and services and stimulate the economy.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI

Who's going to take care of the child that a woman is forced to have because she can't have an abortion? You? Surely you, because you're defending its life, right? Not every person has a "change of heart" when they see their child after delivery. And when they don't, oftentimes those kids go into the system. And when they don't go into the system, oftentimes those kids suffer an abusive childhood. Because you people with one-track minds are only concerned with preventing a person from exercising their rights because YOUR morals (not theirs.... YOURS) say that life begins and conception. That's not a fact -- that's a feeling. Life begins at conception, but you caring about that life ends after 9 months, ain't that right?

That tumor-like mass of cells cannot even produce a heartbeat until 3 months into the pregnancy. A two-month old fetus is no different than the skin-tag at the top of an ass-crack that is just too expensive to remove.

Last edited:

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
What else does chicago do better than every other city? Cookies, women, pizza, cars, summertime, italian beefs, Gtifan n00dz, concerts.

Did I miss something?

Fuck you Jim, per capita Chicago is not even in the top 10 murders per year in the US. It's not even in the top 20.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I absolutely agree with you. This is part of what concerns me though...

“48 percent of all US employees work for small businesses, down from 52 percent in the early 2000s. 18 percent of all US employees work for businesses with fewer than 20 employees.”

What will it do to the economy both large scale and in the individual communities, especially the small towns? I foresee a considerable increase in unemployment levels and small business closures. They have already taken a bit hit from COVID. I don’t think that they are ready for this. I absolutely believe that something needs to be done. I just don’t think that is the answer at this time. Perhaps a progressive tax system where lower income households might not be responsible for any tax? The mega rich need to be taxed more heavily. The Republicans are always for tax cuts for the rich because they say that it will stimulate the economy. That simply is not so. Rich people spend money differently. They may make large purchases, but they do not spend money on a ton of “stuff”. That is actually the spending habits that “poor” people exhibit. So if you stop taxing them, they will reinvest in goods and services and stimulate the economy.
They'll have to raise prices. I would gladly pay a bit more for a burger or fries if it meant the people who cooked my food aren't struggling.

In order for a progressive tax system on the ultra wealthy (which I am 100% in support of) to solve income problems at the lower end of the ladder, that money would have to be funneled into something like universal basic income, which I am not opposed to at all. You're right, rich people spend money completely differently. A dollar given to Bezos goes into an offshore account. A dollar given to someone making minimum wage turns into 2 or 3 dollars of economic stimulus after its been turned around and immediately spent because that person used it to buy groceries.

Reactions: WAP

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Who's going to take care of the child that a woman is forced to have because she can't have an abortion? You? Surely you, because you're defending its life, right? Not every person has a "change of heart" when they see their child after delivery. And when they don't, oftentimes those kids go into the system. Because you people with one-track minds are only concerned with preventing a person from exercising their rights because YOUR morals (not theirs.... YOURS) say that life begins and conception. That's not a fact. That's a feeling. Life begins at conception, but you caring about that life ends after 9 months, ain't that right?

That tumor-like mass of cells cannot even produce a heartbeat until 3 months into the pregnancy. A two-month old fetus is no different than the skin-tag at the top of an ass-crack that is just too expensive to remove.
I'll ignore your insult and keep it objective.

99%+ of people don't live an easy happy life. In fact, many of the most successful people have lived the hardset lives. Strength is built from adversity. Does that mean children deserve an unjustly hard life? No. But does that mean they should be killed instead? Fuck no.

"YOUR morals (Not theirs.... YOURS)" how many people have you encountered that are ok with you ending their life?