GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Economy So Strong That eBay Hard Up For Business

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The standard deduction was increased quite a bit. You can still claim mortgage interest(up to 750k debt), but if your itemized deductions are less than the standard.. then you take the standard amount.

It's always been that way.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Not sure how? Read the link and you'll see why it cost you more to have the mortgage interest rate deduction than not being able to deduct it.

Dave Ramsey is for morons. How he dumbs down concepts like what you posted clearly shows this. You don't focus on average interest on an amortized loan.

I'm curious if you know this answer. If you were able to borrow $10,000 at 4% over 5 years and could put it into a 5 year CD at 4% interest compounding at the same rate, would you be net positive, net negative, or equal? His answer caters to people who refuse to understand the basic concept to this question.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Dave Ramsey is for morons. How he dumbs down concepts like what you posted clearly shows this. You don't focus on average interest on an amortized loan.

I'm curious if you know this answer. If you were able to borrow $10,000 at 4% over 5 years and could put it into a 5 year CD at 4% interest compounding at the same rate, would you be net positive, net negative, or equal? His answer caters to people who refuse to understand the basic concept to this question.

It's simple.
Debt is bad period.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Thanks for agreeing with me.
So, you're saying I should forego my 2.75% interest savings account to pay off my car loan at 1.87% because all debt is bad.... Right....
Like I said, you're the exact demographic that Dave Ramsey caters to, and you confirmed that with your foolish response to avoid my question.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
So, you're saying I should forego my 2.75% interest savings account to pay off my car loan at 1.87% because all debt is bad.... Right....
Like I said, you're the exact demographic that Dave Ramsey caters to, and you confirmed that with your foolish response to avoid my question.
Are you actually getting 2.75? Where... lol

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Yes. Because if you didn't have that debt you could invest it. You don't get rich playing an interest rate game. Dave Ramsey appeals to all demographics.
Just people that don't want to play the game of debt.
And yes your investments could lose money but historically if you invest in safe mutual funds you'll come out dramatically ahead. If you invest in individual stocks you'll lose your ass unless you get lucky.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Yes. Because if you didn't have that debt you could invest it. You don't get rich playing an interest rate game. Dave Ramsey appeals to all demographics.
Just people that don't want to play the game of debt.
And yes your investments could lose money but historically if you invest in safe mutual funds you'll come out dramatically ahead. If you invest in individual stocks you'll lose your ass unless you get lucky.
Where is this magical money coming from that you can pay off debt AND invest? If you're using money to pay off debt, that's money you can't invest. Do you even understand what you're saying, or are you just regurgitating what you think you remember hearing from Dave Ramsey?

Contrary to what Dave Ramsey says, there is such a thing as good debt. If your mortgage has an interest rate at ~3% if you refi recently, the average long term return (10+ year minimum timeframe) of the S&P500 is ~9% annualized. Since a mortgage is a long term loan, we're going to use long term amounts. Because the 3% is amortized and the 9% is compounding, you'll get SIGNIFICANTLY more return by NOT paying off the debt other than what the minimum is. However, if you can't understand the benefit of compounding over amortization (as you showed by avoiding my question), then this is going to be way over your head.

Oh yeah, and you get to write off that mortgage interest, making it even BETTER to not pay extra to your mortgage. But follow Dave Ramsey, it's not my money that's being lost.