GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... WW3 Is 2 Days Away - Another Distraction From This Administration's Epic Fails

cb1111

Quarantine Day 3: Researched 944’s with LS swaps. Looked into smart homes and smart home gadgets. Watched a House Hunters marathon. Researched bidets.
I know it is rude to ask any serious questions in this thread, but....
What symptoms other than typical cold symptoms do you have?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
132320277_4298455600169523_6404805577881915125_o.jpg

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
The automatic lights can introduce vulnerabilities into your home network. Not worth the risk.

I’d just use motion sensors. I don’t want anything connected wirelessly and don’t want it connected to the internet. So not really a “smart house” system.

This sounds like dsg guys claiming their car isn't an automatic. Just doesn't hold up. If you weren't either you would have thrown your vote away on a third party like me.

This!!!! I didn’t like either option either so I threw my vote away.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I know it is rude to ask any serious questions in this thread, but....
What symptoms other than typical cold symptoms do you have?

Just cold symptoms. Had a slight fever Saturday (99.9) but it has been gone since Sunday. Chills, stuffy/runny nose, congestion, tired. Under normal none Covid settings I wouldn’t have even gone to the dr. Just took some cold/flu medicine called off work for a few days and went about my business.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
all of the 'house hunters' shows and home improvement shows are the same exact crap lately. pretty boring overall, and i'm an architecture nerd, and my wife is a home improvement nerd

see: Grand Designs

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^ i think i've seen that one!

one i would def recommend was on netflix called 'worlds most extraordinary homes' - super cool finds on there for anyone into really contemporary/modern architecture

cb1111

The price of a decent 944 has gone up too they used to be a bargain but now people want to swap stuff into them so the prices seem to be creeping up.

I like the idea of automatic lights but I don’t trust wireless locks and such. Keypad lock sure but I don’t need to unlock it with my phone.

I’m easily entertained.

I’m easily entertained. I’m in the process of buying a house so I like to watch the show to get ideas on stuff. That’s where the bidet research came from. The one guy said he used them in Japan and insisted on having one when he bought a house. Of course none did since it’s the US but he added one to the house they ended up buying.

I love how some of them are like “I’m a butterfly scientist and he is a dog walker and our budget is 1.2 million”. I like to see what certain amounts of money get you around the country too.
944's are nice if you can find an unmolested example. Unfortunately, most have been crudely modified and crap.

I bought into the auto lights pretty heavily (x-10) many years ago and, aside from the glitches, I found that it wasn't really useful.

I now have motion sensing lights outside and a more modern version of x-10 for a couple of lamps where the on/off switches are in inconvenient locations. I have a connected thermostat for my geothermal system. Nothing else is automated and, quite frankly, nothing else needs to be. I'm not even sure I need the connected thermostat.

While all this stuff makes for nice toys, think very carefully before you spend money on it.

What I did do is add occupancy sensors for my walk in closets so I don't need to worry about those lights and I put vacancy sensors on the bathroom exhausts. Subtle difference between the two - an occupancy sensor turns on when you walk in and turns off when there is no movement for a set period of time, while the vacancy sensor does nothing until you turn it on and then it turns off after a set period of time (mine are set to 5 minutes) after no movement is detected.

don't get sucked into "this is a bunch of fun stuff" but consider carefully how you will use it.

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
This sounds like dsg guys claiming their car isn't an automatic. Just doesn't hold up. If you weren't either you would have thrown your vote away on a third party like me.
post you link

cb1111

Just cold symptoms. Had a slight fever Saturday (99.9) but it has been gone since Sunday. Chills, stuffy/runny nose, congestion, tired. Under normal none Covid settings I wouldn’t have even gone to the dr. Just took some cold/flu medicine called off work for a few days and went about my business.
Very good. Would you mind updating daily? I'm working on a project about this right now and one of the program managers tested positive. He is a great subject but a slightly pool of subjects would be good. Feel free to PM

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Very good. Would you mind updating daily? I'm working on a project about this right now and one of the program managers tested positive. He is a great subject but a slightly pool of subjects would be good. Feel free to PM

Would love too! I also received a rapid test if that matters. They also took a chest X-Ray because the dr said she was seeing patients with mild symptoms still having pneumonia like scars on the lungs. Idk if scars is the correct term but whatever shows Up on chest X-rays with pneumonia patients. I haven’t heard from them so they were normal.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
The automatic lights can introduce vulnerabilities into your home network. Not worth the risk.
Genuinely curious about this. I have heard that about some of the cheap wifi stuff, but didn't think that was the case for z-wave, zigby, etc. since they run on an independent network through a separate hub. I have all z-wave and really like the automated lighting, use it a ton. You really have to use scene commands to get the most out of it.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
So apparently the Ivy League universities are getting $80 billion of our stimulus money.