GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Connects2 Information Thread

BigTuna

is from Canada eh.
There have been a lot of posts about connects2 around here lately, so I thought I'd make a quick info thread.

Below, is all the info you will need about connects2.

1. Yes, Connects2 is better than PAC. However, it's not programmable.
Some folks may want to be able to program buttons to do other tasks. The connects2 just works exactly like your stock steering wheel controls. Complete with audio display on the MFD. It's also really small. Not much bigger than a zippo lighter actually.

2. All you need is the CTSVW002, and a remote lead. That's it. Nothing else.
There are no other adapters needed. The connects2 website sucks and doesn't show the pictures properly. You get a plug that connects to your stock harness, a canbus box, and all the wiring to connect to your new HU's wiring harness.
The remote lead is the ONLY other thing you need. It plugs into the canbus box, and then into your HU and carries the remote signals. You MUST buy one that works with your brand of head unit. (pioneer, kenwood, etc)

Here's a picture.

I didn't include one last thing that others are pointing out... You do need a double din kit to physically mount your HU. There are a few to choose from. Most people use the American international, or "Best Kits" version. However... connects2 does have one as well, and it matches quite well apparently. You can find it here:
http://incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=CT23VW01A

3. All you need is the CTSVW002, and a remote lead. That's it. Nothing else.
I can't stress it enough.

4. Yes... you keep the audio display.
This means the right hand side steering wheel buttons work. :happyanim:
However, you do not get any real information displayed to you. It will only say "Pioneer", or whatever HU brand of HU you have. The big things is, with this display, you can use the right hand side of the steering controls to change tracks without messing up the MFD.

5. Where to order
You can get it from caraudiosecurity.com. However many of us had problems with them.

I would advise you to try these guys:
http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/ (that links directly to the page you need... remote leads are listed at bottom)

Just be sure to email them before you order. They usually require you to do this because the shopping cart won't handle North American orders.

6. How to connect the Connects2 to your new HU
Unless you have iso connectors on the harness that came with your HU, you have to either cut the iso's off of the connects2, or order a European harness for your HU.

A Euro harness can be located on ebay very easily.

If you are going to cut them off, go here for more info from Quality_Sound
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1435851&postcount=9

7. No... the phone button won't work.
The phone button no workie.

8. There are two models of Connects2 Canbus adapters
As Edgar pointed out below (and has some great pics) there are two models of the Connects2 canbus adapters. The CTSVW001 and the CTSVW002.
The CTSVW001 doesn't have all of the same features as the 002. It will handle the steering wheel controls fine, and even give you the audio menu on the mfd, but it's missing the speed pulse, reverse, and parking brake wires that are usually needed in modern DVD, and GPS units.
Your best bet, is just to purchase the 002 even if you don't need all of the extra features. If you ever change head units, you'll be happy you did.

Last edited:

nbn

morning
Great idea, this was definitely needed. You might want to add that a double-DIN faceplate adapter is needed in the text at the bottom of the image (where you mention other items needed to install).

BigTuna

is from Canada eh.
Great idea, this was definitely needed. You might want to add that a double-DIN faceplate adapter is needed in the text at the bottom of the image (where you mention other items needed to install).

No need to mention it... you just did. :biggrin:

If anyone actually reads the thread they will now be informed of that as well.

However, I just wanted to clear up the connects2 thing. Everybody has the same question... "I know the connects2 is a canbus adapter, but what adapter do I need to plug into the connects2 unit?"

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
Does it actually show information on the MFD? or does it just keep a screen with the brand of your deck on the screen while you use the right hand side of the steering wheel controls?

I've seen pictures of it, and it just says "Pioneer" "Kenwood", etc

LoyalSage

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKIV & MKV R32
Does it actually show information on the MFD? or does it just keep a screen with the brand of your deck on the screen while you use the right hand side of the steering wheel controls?

I've seen pictures of it, and it just says "Pioneer" "Kenwood", etc

Yup.. I forgot to include that.. I'll go edit

not to rain on the connects2 party here, but i kind of like reserving my right side buttons for the MFD and still having all the info there available instead of a KENWOOD branded screen the entire time, that truely renders my MFD useless to me 100% of the time since my music is on 100% of the time.

i am more then happy only using the left side buttons, i have:
- vol up
- vol down
- attenuation
- next track (phone button)

i 90% of the time set my ipod to play all songs random, so all i need is next track if i am not in the mood of the current song. everything else like browsing through an album and such can easily be done via touchscreen.

again, this is only my opinion and i believe the PAC setup works better for ME. so i think to say the connects2 is better is really a matter of opinion and priorities.

there is no doubt that at a lower price point, less bulk and use of right hand buttons without having the MFD flip around is an attractive option.

but i am really not unhappy with my PAC setup, there is so much space behind the head unit anyways that i never need to be concerned about the units being larger or more in numbers.

i just want to say, this is a great option, but not necessarily for everyone. also consider the fact that you can only order connects2 direct from the UK, what if you need to return the product? or get it replaced because its defective? its a bit of a pain to ship across borders sometimes, i am not trying to people should not buy the connects2, just playing devils advocate here for anyone who cares and is trying to decide which option to go with. we have two main options, PAC and Connects2, both are great in their own ways.

very good write up by the way, thank you for providing such clean and good information to the community, we need more people to take the time and provide this type of help! :thumbsup:

:)

BigTuna

is from Canada eh.
not to rain on the connects2 party here, but i kind of like reserving my right side buttons for the MFD and still having all the info there available instead of a KENWOOD branded screen the entire time, that truely renders my MFD useless to me 100% of the time since my music is on 100% of the time.

Like your stock setup, if you want the mfd info, just hit the menu button and jump to that screen. I actually rarely use the right side buttons for audio (usually have fuel usage displayed) but I like the option of using them to scroll through giant folders of music stored on a usb drive without taking my eyes off the road.

The PAC stuff works great. No doubt about it, but for folks who want to retain 100% steering wheel control, the connects2 stuff is where it's at. But you're right... it's 100% opinion on this.

In my case, the PAC stuff would've been too bulky. I have a bluetooth module, sat module, sat tuner, connects2 unit, a bunch of other wiring (relay for bypass, etc), and a shock sensor stuffed back there. I'm adding a CAN1, secondary alarm, and extra sirens as well. Space is surely going to be tight.

LoyalSage

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKIV & MKV R32
Like your stock setup, if you want the mfd info, just hit the menu button and jump to that screen. I actually rarely use the right side buttons for audio (usually have fuel usage displayed) but I like the option of using them to scroll through giant folders of music stored on a usb drive without taking my eyes off the road.

The PAC stuff works great. No doubt about it, but for folks who want to retain 100% steering wheel control, the connects2 stuff is where it's at. But you're right... it's 100% opinion on this.

In my case, the PAC stuff would've been too bulky. I have a bluetooth module, sat module, sat tuner, connects2 unit, a bunch of other wiring (relay for bypass, etc), and a shock sensor stuffed back there. I'm adding a CAN1, secondary alarm, and extra sirens as well. Space is surely going to be tight.

I was not aware that you could still navigate through the other menus, and did you say it will help display song titles and such on the MFD?

From what you are describing, I may have to invest in a connects2 pretty soon as well :thumbsup:

BigTuna

is from Canada eh.
I was not aware that you could still navigate through the other menus, and did you say it will help display song titles and such on the MFD?

From what you are describing, I may have to invest in a connects2 pretty soon as well :thumbsup:

Naw... it won't display the songs. But it keeps me from tinkering with the touch screen while driving.

I wish it displayed the songs. That would be awesome.

Edgar

Made in Beanerland!!
Also, there are two differents models and one of those, the one i have is the CTVW002
wich will also give you the speed pulse wire, the backup signal and the hand brake signal.

This are the pictures of my AVIC-D3 ready to rock in my car, i also got it installed in the connects2 dash kit.
I think thats the best looking dash kit you can get.

I got my parts from in-car express for 87 euros including shipping and it only took 8 days to get here since the day i place the order, pretty quick!!!

I hope it can help clear some questions to other members.

Edgar

Last edited:

LoyalSage

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKIV & MKV R32
This are the pictures of my AVIC-D3 ready to rock in my car, i also got it installed in the connects2 dash kit.
I think thats the best looking dash kit you can get.

the dash kit does look interesting, can you provide us with some clean pictures of the dash kit installed in the car?

and thank you for all the extra information.