GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The bored at home / COVID19 / Working from home thread

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Or the one that modifies the file and doesn't save it, prints the unsaved copy for reference, changes the folder its saved, doesn't make the appropriate remarks when changed...I didn't sign up to play tech support for the old guy on top of my other responsibilities.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Dude!! That’s like 27v of TURBO POWERERRR pictured there!

Those commercials got me as a kid. My first big scale was a RadioShack Golden Arrow that would smoke the doors off my friends Grasshopper. Would piss him off to no end.

Bwahaha
I remember that RadioShack car! I think my neighbor had that one & I lusted over it

Another neighbor down the street had a "cool" Nikko car IIRC...can't remember which one
Oh the good ol' days of jumping them off ramps, lol

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Ah nice. This thread has moved off of politics and onto RC cars! I'm in.

My kid dug my old RC10 B2 out of the closet a few weeks ago. I forgot I even had it. I gave it a full re-build/cleaning, new body, outfitted it with brushless/Lipo, and got a decent modern radio.

After a few runs up and down the street, and setting up a jump, I realized I'm more of a road-car guy. There's not a good place to run the buggy in the dirt around here (the desert is very rocky) and thrashing on asphalt just tears up the car.

I have a Tamiya M-07R chassis (front wheel drive) and body on order. I'm going to swap my new electronics into the Tamiya and make the RC10 a shelf queen. Maybe I can set up a mini autocross and stay in practice.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Finally got around to rebuilding my stripped out transmission.

992FA8B2-C297-4A40-BC4B-134B02905654.jpeg6F8F0B11-BE32-403B-BEE7-7F7D93D066A3.jpeg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I always wanted to get into gas 1/10 awd on road, but never lived anywhere that raced them. Still don't.

Maybe I'll try to find an 1/8 scale awd buggy and make it into a rally car.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I always wanted to get into gas 1/10 awd on road, but never lived anywhere that raced them. Still don't.

Maybe I'll try to find an 1/8 scale awd buggy and make it into a rally car.

1/8 buggies are good fun, tires/wheels are even more expensive tho. I mainly raced 1/10 because that's what everyone was doing and racing at that time. I don't know of any tracks near me right now either.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
That is so awesome! The body/paint job looks great as well (though I've always cut my bodies first before painting just so I could see where I was cutting easier lol).

I have a boatload of parts coming in for both my 1/10th scale crawler, my 1/10 scale onroad and am hoping my 1/18 scale crawler shows up soon.

3S lipo batteries for the big crawler should be delivered today as well!

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I used to get all stupid and air brush bodies when I was younger. I spent so much time on it. One time I took my anodized motor plate and sanded it down, polished it until it had a mirror finish. It took me literally hours to do one... An older guy at the track asked me if I would do one for him... I was young but I'm pretty sure my brain was saying helllllll naaahhhhh

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Who remember the first time they cut wheel openings and ruined a body you spent hours painting? Good times. lol. I was a Jeff Gordon fan when I was younger, so I did his paint job on all my cars and trucks, but faded the rainbow into flames down the side and over the roof. I wish I had some pics. Airbrush is a must if you're doing complex designs. I can still smell the liquid mask and paint.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
damn i have been missing out here! i've been really wanting to get into RC cars for a while... i love motor driven ones and how they sound, but the electric brushless ones are also nice.

Cant decide what scale i want to get or where to start though. it can be quite a rabbit hole. and i don't really have anywhere to run them

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
damn i have been missing out here! i've been really wanting to get into RC cars for a while... i love motor driven ones and how they sound, but the electric brushless ones are also nice.

Cant decide what scale i want to get or where to start though. it can be quite a rabbit hole. and i don't really have anywhere to run them

Good place to start is a RTR 1/10th scale car or truck. It won't set you back a ton, will be fast, fun and easy to get started. You just need to decide if you have more parking lot or dirt lot to play on. If you can't decide, get a rally car. lol