GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The bored at home / COVID19 / Working from home thread

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Cutting your own hair is actually pretty easy unless you have some really eclectic style. Scissors up top, back and sides with the buzzer. Anything more complicated than a trim will take practice but most of us have lots of time on our hands these days.

Plus, if you screw it up you can just keep staying inside anyway ?

My wife is insisting I cut her hair at some point this week. I feel like I'm being setup to fail :(

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
My wife is insisting I cut her hair at some point this week. I feel like I'm being setup to fail :(
Cutting a woman's hair is a totally different story, proceed with caution ?
Definitely a trap, learned this in kindergarten. ?
All true....be VERY careful. I cut my daughters hair when she was 2 while my wife was away.....12 years later it's STILL an issue. Walk away slowly.......

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I've been cutting my wife and daughter's hair, no problem. I'm forbidden from cutting my son's hair after a bowl cut incident...

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I thought, for radiology, we made our money on the ER films and that we lost/didn't make any money on the inpatient (routine) films. But again, I don't know the financial state here

N95's don't exist here. They "banned" them a few years back in our hospital and went to a powered portable air respirator mask thingy instead. BUT now the N95's are allowed to be used again, but of course we don't have them & with a shortage....good luck getting/finding one.
There are no protective gowns either. If you were lucky enough to find or get one, you were told you had to keep reusing it. And if any more show up, they're allotting them.
Typically you would use it one time & throw it away. Instead, we're forced to be using these over and over after interaction with MULTIPLE patients

All protocol is out the window :(

Like I said earlier, it really depends on your patient population. If you're ER sees a lot of Medicare/Medicaid patients or has a high percentage of uncompensated care, the ER is a massive money loser. It's all about demographics, location and percentage of patients with insurance coming through your door. Most ER's lose money.

Do whatever you need to do to keep yourself safe. If you PM me your address, I can send you some cotton masks. If you line them with sterile wrap, you're looking at N99 levels of filtration. Also, see if your hospital linen dept still has some of the old cloth surgical gowns. The fronts are a water resistant blend and would help and can be laundered.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
If you line them with sterile wrap, you're looking at N99 levels of filtration. Also, see if your hospital linen dept still has some of the old cloth surgical gowns. The fronts are a water resistant blend and would help and can be laundered.
This is great info....I'm passing this along to my friends at local hospitals.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I was just looking at some of the numbers. I hope we can slow this thing down. Last week Tuesday there were 398k total confirmed in the world. Right now we're at 810k. If it stays at this rate we'll be at 3.2 million in 2 weeks, and about 100k deaths.

If you look at just the US our rates are more than triple from last week. We had 55k total confirmed last wednesday with about 800 deaths. Now we're at 165k confirmed and 3.1k deaths. Almost half of those 3.2 million are going be americans in 2 weeks. It's possible that by Easter we'll have about 1.5 mill total sick people and about 65k deaths. Our sick rate here has already tripled for 2 weeks straight. We had 17k confirmed on the 17th, 55k a week later, and 165k a week after that.

I'm interested in how quickly this thing is spreading so I've been recording the numbers once a day.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Our main issue right now is testing. Per 1 million population, we've tested 313 to Italy's 3400.

We don't even know where it's emerging until it's too late.

ahard48

Ready to race!
I was just looking at some of the numbers. I hope we can slow this thing down. Last week Tuesday there were 398k total confirmed in the world. Right now we're at 810k. If it stays at this rate we'll be at 3.2 million in 2 weeks, and about 100k deaths.

If you look at just the US our rates are more than triple from last week. We had 55k total confirmed last wednesday with about 800 deaths. Now we're at 165k confirmed and 3.1k deaths. Almost half of those 3.2 million are going be americans in 2 weeks. It's possible that by Easter we'll have about 1.5 mill total sick people and about 65k deaths. Our sick rate here has already tripled for 2 weeks straight. We had 17k confirmed on the 17th, 55k a week later, and 165k a week after that.

I'm interested in how quickly this thing is spreading so I've been recording the numbers once a day.

This whole thing is fascinating to me (as i am an economist), however terribly worrisome. I have been trying to teach myself to think outside the box in terms of natural disasters and investment opportunities. When all this happened i didn't even thing about the affect it would have on the companies making PPE and now the jump in internet home videos (workouts, tiktok, zoom...). Now I'm trying to think ahead as to how the economy will be in detail in terms of price of goods and services and what will rise in prices.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I've been cutting my wife and daughter's hair, no problem. I'm forbidden from cutting my son's hair after a bowl cut incident...
Surprised that after that, a woman would let you cut her hair!