GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The bored at home / COVID19 / Working from home thread

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Got notified today that my company is extending mandatory WFH until at least 4-17, so another 3 weeks. School is closed until May-15.

What are you guys doing with your retirement portfolios? Staying the course or moving things around?
Going to withdrawal what's left to spend on whoors and blow since we're all going to die in a few months

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
What are you guys doing with your retirement portfolios? Staying the course or moving things around?
Staying the course. I was about to use mine to buy a couple of years towards my retirement. I even stopped that purchase. It's dropped by half already. I look at it this way- the same is coming out of my paycheck each time, but I'm getting more stocks for the money. When prices rebound, I'll have a lot more.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Got notified today that my company is extending mandatory WFH until at least 4-17, so another 3 weeks. School is closed until May-15.

I you didn't move to bonds and cash pre crash, you really don't have much choice but to stay the course. If you did, then wait for the unemployment, retail number to hit and for businesses to figure out that you can't bully a virus into submission, and start buying at 15,000 when the second shoe drops.

When the DOW hit 29,000, I cashed out. No way that was based on reality when you look at the increase in private and public debt, weak GDP, and weakening retail. It was only a matter of time before the gross incompetence caught up with the economy. This is how I expected it, but it was coming either way.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I you didn't move to bonds and cash pre crash, you really don't have much choice but to stay the course. If you did, then wait for the unemployment, retail number to hit and for businesses to figure out that you can't bully a virus into submission, and start buying at 15,000 when the second shoe drops.

When the DOW hit 29,000, I cashed out. No way that was based on reality when you look at the increase in private and public debt, weak GDP, and weakening retail. It was only a matter of time before the gross incompetence caught up with the economy. This is how I expected it, but it was coming either way.

I moved to a cash position before the carnage. I have one advisor pushing bonds (corp debt) really hard, and another advisor saying closed-end funds. This is all new territory to me.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

Same here. We coworkers? lol

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Due to the density here, it's expected.

I agree that we're not out of the woods yet, I only stated that if it wasn't for these preventive steps that have been taken, hospitals would have been overwhelmed already.

Some stats here:
Density is not the reason the US has an almost vertical spike of cases. Look at countries like Japan and SK, their population densities are monstrous (865/sq-mi and 1300/sq-mi, respectively) when compared to the US (87/sq-mi), and their number of infected is much lower, and have basically stabilized. Even if we compare Tokyo and NYC, Tokyo's most densely populated wards are between 50-100% more dense than NYC. The virus caught this country with its pants down and our leaders reacted way too late - THAT'S the problem. And we still aren't testing everyone that needs to be tested. I do not trust the numbers that the US has been reporting, due to the lack of testing - they're much higher.
Anybody got any plans for this stimulus $?
Straight into savings in case shit really gets bad.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Density is not the reason the US has an almost vertical spike of cases. Look at countries like Japan and SK, their population densities are monstrous (865/sq-mi and 1300/sq-mi, respectively) when compared to the US (87/sq-mi), and their number of infected is much lower, and have basically stabilized. Even if we compare Tokyo and NYC, Tokyo's most densely populated wards are between 50-100% more dense than NYC. The virus caught this country with its pants down and our leaders reacted way too late - THAT'S the problem. And we still aren't testing everyone that needs to be tested. I do not trust the numbers that the US has been reporting, due to the lack of testing - they're much higher.

Straight into savings in case shit really gets bad.

This. Early testing and aggressive measure early and the impact could have been minimized. If we did what were doing now in January or February, there'd be no looming massive lockdown and huge spike.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm confident the actual number of cases is at least 50% more than reported. That drops the mortality rate to close to .7%.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm confident the actual number of cases is at least 50% more than reported. That drops the mortality rate to close to .7%.

I'm confident that we've been undercounting Covid deaths for 4 months.

And the deaths start to pile up once the health care system and medical supply chain is overwhelmed, so hold on buckaroo.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Why is it recommended that people living paycheck to paycheck somehow have a 6mo reserve in liquid assets... but multi-billion dollar corporations financially melt down at the slightest hint at instability?

My wife is extremely lucky. Her company just battened down the hatches. They terminated all temps and contractors. They then dissolved a future projects team, and used those employees to fill the vacated temp and contract slots.

The owner/COO reduced his salary to $0.00/mo, and all executives took a 25% pay cut.

All internal incentive/game programs that have cash value (points) have been suspended, and payouts to employee accounts from them halted (most of these were basically beta testing of future projects). Employee point accounts are still open and redemption of points already earned is unchanged.

All purchases not already budgeted require COO signature. Complete gutting/renovation of one building, prompted by a fire caused by a Samsung cellphone blowing up, continues until completion of the currently active work/contracts.

COO sends out biweekly update info to all employees (about 5000 globally) as situations change. Has been keeping tabs on the relief bill and informed the employees that any money to the company will be distributed based on income brackets, bottom up. He’s done he same with all the recent “stimulus” funds passed down. He distributed those funds to everyone’s 401k.

Employees that had laptops were instructed to work from home weeks ago, and laptops for those that didn’t have them yet were purchased by the COO personally to expedite getting his people home by cutting the red tape.

Needless to say their morale is high and, honestly it’s refreshing.

I work in a position that was deemed “nationally essential” years ago, so I’m pretty safe for now.

Been trying to help out where I can. Tipping the baristas and the dudes that make my breakfast burritos to go, $20 a visit. Paying (hemorrhaging?) my daycare bills, even though my kids are hunkered down in the woods with my parents. It’s hard because I normally help others by physical assistance and the like. Social distancing and this damn lingering cough keeps me isolated.

I feel for those hurting, just keep your witts and get creative, don’t be afraid to ask for help and accept it when offered. In 1998 I was living in my car using the CRV to eat. These are the times when you learn who your true friends are.

Is your wife's company one that we can patronize? Have you been tested for the nagging cough? What kind of job do you have? I have nothing but respect for your generosity.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sounds like a great company....you guys hiring for any product manager/ product owner roles when this gets over?? ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Cruise ship companies shouldn't get a penny from the United States. They skirt around paying any taxes by operating under foreign jurisdiction. I say fuck em.

A lot of the bailouts for businesses are actually loans that have to be repaid.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Is your wife's company one that we can patronize? Have you been tested for the nagging cough? What kind of job do you have? I have nothing but respect for your generosity.

They work with companies to improve employee engagement, so maybe?

I was tested over a month after my possible exposure on 2/12. Came back no virus, but that was nearly 30 days after the fevers and body aches subsided. All that’s left is the cough. I have a sinking feeling that I won’t know what it was till they come out with an antibody blood test.

I work for the federal government as a combination of pseudo doctor and pseudo lawyer.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
They work with companies to improve employee engagement, so maybe?

I was tested over a month after my possible exposure on 2/12. Came back no virus, but that was nearly 30 days after the fevers and body aches subsided. All that’s left is the cough. I have a sinking feeling that I won’t know what it was till they come out with an antibody blood test.

I work for the federal government as a combination of pseudo doctor and pseudo lawyer.

I don't get the pseudo part. Are you a consultant?