The bored at home / COVID19 / Working from home thread

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
brutal...

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
After 9/11 the airline I work for did pay cuts & retro give backs.

So not only was your paycheck smaller, but they took additional money out to repay the company for that percentage of your pay for prior weeks pay dating back a year or so.

This was before my time, I hired on in 2011, but the older guys here are still bitter about it. Plus the lay offs and stations that closed at that time.

Statistically Covid-19 has flight loads lower than post 9/11, so if the federal government can’t float the airlines until this is over (with proper restrictions in place to protect jobs & stop them from doing stock buy backs) I’m in for a rough time for sure.

Edit:

I’m at work now and they all have tried to forget, but said it was something like 24% pay cut plus 9 months backdated give backs.

I have no issue keeping airlines afloat, with the stipulation none of the money goes to executive pay, none of it goes to stock buy backs, and they repay a portion of the money, equal to the amount of money they spent on stock buy backs since 2017.

If you want to move to St. Augustine, Fl, the hospital I work for has openings for 2 network engineers. They don't pay as well as banking industry, so we have a hard time getting positions filled.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I have no issue keeping airlines afloat, with the stipulation none of the money goes to executive pay, none of it goes to stock buy backs, and they repay a portion of the money, equal to the amount of money they spent on stock buy backs since 2017.

I hope this is what we see, across industries. But it's the fed gov, so I have pretty low expectations.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

If you want to move to St. Augustine, Fl, the hospital I work for has openings for 2 network engineers. They don't pay as well as banking industry, so we have a hard time getting positions filled.

I agree 100%, there needs to be accountability when it comes to stimulus money, especially given the fact it’s been abused in the past. Every time they mention stock buybacks I’m half expecting them to call our CEO out by name.

I feel like there’s a ton of opportunity out there for A&P outside of aviation (for those who don’t know A&P stands for the FAA issued Airframe & Power-plant licenses required to be an aircraft mechanic), but I truly am passionate about my job and plan to stick with it as long as it makes sense.

I gave up a lot to be in the position I’m in now. Commuted from Ohio to Philly for 5+ years to work third shift on weekends (double shifts Friday-Sunday) starting when I was 20 years old.

Moved 550 miles to the Charlotte area for another 3 years of third shift before finally making it to second shift last summer.

After nearly a decade of working every weekend and most holidays I’d hate to start over someplace else. I wouldn’t trade it for anything, but man I’d hate to do the worst of it over again lol.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hospitals IT doesn't work weekends or holidays.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I hope this is what we see, across industries. But it's the fed gov, so I have pretty low expectations.

Please no political war but I heard Trump in today's press report saying that the government is going to help the airline and cruise ship industries.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Please no political war but I heard Trump in today's press report saying that the government is going to help the airline and cruise ship industries.
I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with the government helping industries like this.
What is wrong is those companies turning around and using the aid for stock buybacks and executive payouts. As long as any aid given comes with a stipulation prohibiting actions like that, I think this is fine.
Those companies wouldn't be anything without their employees and I hope they do the right thing and take care of the employees. The sad part is most of these companies only do it when explicitly told to.

Now for jokes. Man, if Boeing and other struggling companies would just stop buying lattes every day and blowing money on avocado toast, maybe they wouldn't need help.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with the government helping industries like this.
What is wrong is those companies turning around and using the aid for stock buybacks and executive payouts. As long as any aid given comes with a stipulation prohibiting actions like that, I think this is fine.
Those companies wouldn't be anything without their employees and I hope they do the right thing and take care of the employees. The sad part is most of these companies only do it when explicitly told to.

Now for jokes. Man, if Boeing and other struggling companies would just stop buying lattes every day and blowing money on avocado toast, maybe they wouldn't need help.

I agree and if Boeing wouldn't sell jets that weren't tested thoroughly it would help them also. The press conference that I heard did say that the aid would be paid back to the government. So it sounds more like a temporary assist helping them with working capital. And I agree it better be going to the employees and not to appease stockholders.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Why is it recommended that people living paycheck to paycheck somehow have a 6mo reserve in liquid assets... but multi-billion dollar corporations financially melt down at the slightest hint at instability?

My wife is extremely lucky. Her company just battened down the hatches. They terminated all temps and contractors. They then dissolved a future projects team, and used those employees to fill the vacated temp and contract slots.

The owner/COO reduced his salary to $0.00/mo, and all executives took a 25% pay cut.

All internal incentive/game programs that have cash value (points) have been suspended, and payouts to employee accounts from them halted (most of these were basically beta testing of future projects). Employee point accounts are still open and redemption of points already earned is unchanged.

All purchases not already budgeted require COO signature. Complete gutting/renovation of one building, prompted by a fire caused by a Samsung cellphone blowing up, continues until completion of the currently active work/contracts.

COO sends out biweekly update info to all employees (about 5000 globally) as situations change. Has been keeping tabs on the relief bill and informed the employees that any money to the company will be distributed based on income brackets, bottom up. He’s done he same with all the recent “stimulus” funds passed down. He distributed those funds to everyone’s 401k.

Employees that had laptops were instructed to work from home weeks ago, and laptops for those that didn’t have them yet were purchased by the COO personally to expedite getting his people home by cutting the red tape.

Needless to say their morale is high and, honestly it’s refreshing.

I work in a position that was deemed “nationally essential” years ago, so I’m pretty safe for now.

Been trying to help out where I can. Tipping the baristas and the dudes that make my breakfast burritos to go, $20 a visit. Paying (hemorrhaging?) my daycare bills, even though my kids are hunkered down in the woods with my parents. It’s hard because I normally help others by physical assistance and the like. Social distancing and this damn lingering cough keeps me isolated.

I feel for those hurting, just keep your witts and get creative, don’t be afraid to ask for help and accept it when offered. In 1998 I was living in my car using the CRV to eat. These are the times when you learn who your true friends are.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Why is it recommended that people living paycheck to paycheck somehow have a 6mo reserve in liquid assets... but multi-billion dollar corporations financially melt down at the slightest hint at instability?

My wife is extremely lucky. Her company just battened down the hatches. They terminated all temps and contractors. They then dissolved a future projects team, and used those employees to fill the vacated temp and contract slots.

The owner/COO reduced his salary to $0.00/mo, and all executives took a 25% pay cut.

All internal incentive/game programs that have cash value (points) have been suspended, and payouts to employee accounts from them halted (most of these were basically beta testing of future projects). Employee point accounts are still open and redemption of points already earned is unchanged.

All purchases not already budgeted require COO signature. Complete gutting/renovation of one building, prompted by a fire caused by a Samsung cellphone blowing up, continues until completion of the currently active work/contracts.

COO sends out biweekly update info to all employees (about 5000 globally) as situations change. Has been keeping tabs on the relief bill and informed the employees that any money to the company will be distributed based on income brackets, bottom up. He’s done he same with all the recent “stimulus” funds passed down. He distributed those funds to everyone’s 401k.

Employees that had laptops were instructed to work from home weeks ago, and laptops for those that didn’t have them yet were purchased by the COO personally to expedite getting his people home by cutting the red tape.

I work in a position that was deemed “nationally essential” years ago, so I’m pretty safe for now.

Been trying to help out where I can. Tipping the baristas and the dudes that make my breakfast burritos to go, $20 a visit. Paying (hemorrhaging?) my daycare bills, even though my kids are hunkered down in the woods with my parents. It’s hard because I normally help others by physical assistance and the like. Social distancing and this damn lingering cough keeps me isolated.

I feel for those hurting, just keep your witts and get creative, don’t be afraid to ask for help and accept it when offered. In 1998 I was living in my car using the CRV to eat. These are the times when you learn who your true friends are.

That's killer impressive....I don't think I've heard of anything like this taking place, although I'm sure it is, just not en masse. Pretty blown away by that strategy....I like it.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma

Sounds like a great company....you guys hiring for any product manager/ product owner roles when this gets over?? ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Cruise ship companies shouldn't get a penny from the United States. They skirt around paying any taxes by operating under foreign jurisdiction. I say fuck em.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Sounds like a great company....you guys hiring for any product manager/ product owner roles when this gets over?? ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Enterprise Architects? lol

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
But they're always on call, right?

Yes and no. The network team splits it every other week. They hardly ever get bugged though. The database team and interface team get all the calls.