GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The bored at home / COVID19 / Working from home thread

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Well this sucks. Just got told all salaried employees are taking a 20% pay reduction because of covid19 lost revenue. Guess it's better than getting laid off.

What industry do you work in?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Well this sucks. Just got told all salaried employees are taking a 20% pay reduction because of covid19 lost revenue. Guess it's better than getting laid off.
I’m waiting for that message myself... like you said, better than getting laid off. Did they provide any guidance on a path to get everyone back to their normal wage once this has passed?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
What industry do you work in?
I'm a director of IT for an insurance claims company. We've seen about a 60% reduction in auto accidents from lack of cars on the road.
I’m waiting for that message myself... like you said, better than getting laid off. Did they provide any guidance on a path to get everyone back to their normal wage once this has passed?
Just that they will re assess in 4 weeks and that it could get better or could get worse

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm a director of IT for an insurance claims company. We've seen about a 60% reduction in auto accidents from lack of cars on the road.

Just that they will re assess in 4 weeks and that it could get better or could get worse

Seems like they're using this as an excuse to reduce salary. 60% reduction in accidents means they make MORE money, not less. Did people stop paying premiums, because that doesn't pass the smell test. Less claims equals more profit.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Seems like they're using this as an excuse to reduce salary. 60% reduction in accidents means they make MORE money, not less. Did people stop paying premiums, because that doesn't pass the smell test. Less claims equals more profit.
No, we aren't an insurance company. We handle claims for various insurance companies. The insurance companies I agree are going to end up profiting from the reduction in claims, but we are hurting bad as we get paid on a per claim basis.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
In a lot of cases like homeowners claims, there’s a responsible party (other insurance company involved) where the claim gets paid for instead of them paying out, the customer gets their deductible in most cases and they’re still getting paid premiums every day.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i'm getting real nervous for the same thing, or a reduction of hours, or worst case, furlough... i have very little to bill my time to currently

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Shopping for my first GTI while on quarantine.

Shipped to the parking lot behind the apartment, without going into a dealership, and I'll take the keys from the ground, and wipe them with Lysol rags first, thank you! :cool:

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Yeeouch, sorry to hear that man. I'm on edge for something similar happening to me.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT

Sorry to hear that Jay.

I can't really think of any industry that this kind of economic downturn doesn't hit, which is pretty scary.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I remember in 2008, the company I worked for had it's annual awards ceremony inside the giant shop. They usually held them at hotels/other venues and had basically open bar/food. I guess a bunch of people were mad and didn't show up. I was there bc the party was basically in my work area. The VP wasn't happy about the attendance, so he passed around a pad to write your name on and everybody got $50... Truth be told, if it was off site I wouldn't have been there. LOL

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
oh yeah and i'm very sorry to hear that jay!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
After 9/11 the airline I work for did pay cuts & retro give backs.

So not only was your paycheck smaller, but they took additional money out to repay the company for that percentage of your pay for prior weeks pay dating back a year or so.

This was before my time, I hired on in 2011, but the older guys here are still bitter about it. Plus the lay offs and stations that closed at that time.

Statistically Covid-19 has flight loads lower than post 9/11, so if the federal government can’t float the airlines until this is over (with proper restrictions in place to protect jobs & stop them from doing stock buy backs) I’m in for a rough time for sure.

Edit:

I’m at work now and they all have tried to forget, but said it was something like 24% pay cut plus 9 months backdated give backs.