GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The bored at home / COVID19 / Working from home thread

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Today was supposed to be my first WFH day, but I spent 6 hours chasing issues with the VPN on the company laptop. What a giant pain that was.

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2010 GTI
Working from home is pretty normal for me. I usually only do 3 or 4 days in the office, and 1 or 2 remote.

Now, trying to work from home with my wife also trying to work from home, and our 5 year old daughter home all day since schools and daycares are closed down... That's a whole other story. It's enough to make me want to rip my hair out.
Amen...same situation except with three daughters instead of one...lol! Thank goodness for Gigabit internet and Netflix, but they still get restless. Nothing like being on a business call with a child yelling "That's my crayon!" in the background. And thanks to the grocery stores, PB&J with chips for lunch is getting old fast. But one of my twins found a cure, so, we are good...lol!
20200319_121921.jpg

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
My new home office has a view and fresh air. Cat-6 cable is taped to the floor, running from the router to my garage. I'll probably crawl in the attic and make a permanent drop this weekend.

I count myself very lucky that I'm able to work from home nearly as effectively as I can from the office, and that we currently have contracts, projects and deadlines that are largely unaffected by this crisis.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Checking in. Wifey and I are both on mandatory work from home for 2 weeks, and school has been cancelled for at least that amount of time.

We don't really have an office, which sucks, and the kids have taken over the kitchen table--which is fine, because they're occupied. The wife claimed the couch, and I'm sitting on my weight bench using my pool table for a desk, which isn't doing my back any favors.

On the plus side, we have plenty of alcohol, food and toilet paper :)

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK6 gti
Oregon res here.

Not on a mandatory work at home yet but will be by Monday I am sure. I work with wine so no shortage of booze here.

I do love how my friends all laughed when I came back from East Asia a over a year ago and immediately bought a Bidet... who's laughing now B!

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Oregon res here.

Not on a mandatory work at home yet but will be by Monday I am sure. I work with wine so no shortage of booze here.

I do love how my friends all laughed when I came back from East Asia a over a year ago and immediately bought a Bidet... who's laughing now B!
Does that mean you can ship us all wine?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Started working from home a week ago.

I'm a software dev and the company I work for has paid for clients who still need their contracts fulfilled so my job is going nowhere (or so I am told).

My station at work is top notch. Adjustable standing desk, an incredibly nice chair and a super powerful computer with 4 giant monitors and crazy fast business level net. Since it's spoiled me so badly I had to upgrade my home rig, which I'd neglected for a long time.

So, I doubled the memory, a new ssd, upgraded my home internet two tiers from bottom ghetto, finally upgraded windows 7 to 10 and they let me take a couple of the monitors home. Between all that it's about 90% as good.

But the "desk" it's all on is pathetic and my chair is not great. I don't want to spend any more on that stuff. So, it's poor lumbar support for me.

I'm super lucky, and I know it.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
But the "desk" it's all on is pathetic and my chair is not great. I don't want to spend any more on that stuff. So, it's poor lumbar support for me.
I scored a killer deal on a used/broken fully-loaded Herman Miller Aeron task chair fixed it very cheaply. I ended up with a $1,000 chair for about $120 all-in, and it's miles better than what I've got at work. But they won't let me bring it in!! They're weird about things like this.
My desk is a tiny, pathetic 29" wide IKEA special and I've brought in a small dining table in the office to have room for my WFH stuff. I could probably do with higher internet tier too, as I'm remoting into my workstation. All my horsepower is there, but the connection is laggy.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’m still working at work (aviation, so no from home option).

It has been REALLY slow though. Today is my “Monday”, and we had absolutely perfect weather over my weekend. Lots of projects knocked off the wife’s to do list, lots of outdoor activities with the kids (6 year old boy and 2 year old girl).

My wife normally stays home anyway, but the lack of a break from our son and the new homeschooling duties with him off for two weeks has her stressed along with the possibility of me being laid off.

Also, as mentioned above there’s been great food and a bit of drinking haha. It’s weird to not eat out at all, and I kinda feel bad not supporting local restaurants we’re regulars at so maybe Tuesday morning I’ll venture out of carry out before work.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
My company went to half-staff. The other tech is full time and I'm part time, so he is working the majority. I'm working next Friday only at this point.
Sucks for me, but my wife is in healthcare and she's SUPER busy. Downside is every time she feels an ache or scratchy throat she thinks it's CORONA. So she's keeping her distance, no Christmas baby for us LOL.
Kids are home, the school handed out packets to get through the next couple weeks. They have about 5 pages a day each. Only until April 6 but teachers think they won't be coming back, we'll see.
I'm lucky I got the car fixed before the apocalypse. I'd like to tear into the Jeep and do a few projects I've been piling parts for. But the kids are keeping me busy...

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My company went to half-staff. The other tech is full time and I'm part time, so he is working the majority. I'm working next Friday only at this point.
Sucks for me, but my wife is in healthcare and she's SUPER busy. Downside is every time she feels an ache or scratchy throat she thinks it's CORONA. So she's keeping her distance, no Christmas baby for us LOL.
Kids are home, the school handed out packets to get through the next couple weeks. They have about 5 pages a day each. Only until April 6 but teachers think they won't be coming back, we'll see.
I'm lucky I got the car fixed before the apocalypse. I'd like to tear into the Jeep and do a few projects I've been piling parts for. But the kids are keeping me busy...

Have the kids “help”, mine love being out in the garage. You might not get much done, but it’s better than Netflix

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Half my office has been sent home for who knows how long, but at least I'm still working. The courts are slow and my workload has decreased. At least I can now catch up on other projects, so there is a silver lining.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
Update: So I just found out I know somebody who has it. It's my brothers, friends, older brother... He lives in Seattle I believe. He made a huge post on facebook about it. First of all, stating to please do not call or text him until you read the post. He said the amount of calls and texts he had been getting was worse than the actual illness. He's in his 40's, said that he thought he was just sick until he started noticing shortness of breath. After discussing everything with his doctor, and since he had been traveling he got tested. He wasn't experiencing a high fever either. He said he's all good and just doing everything he can to be healthy. Said that they advised him not to go to the ER unless the shortness of breath had started to make him blue in the face/got a lot worse.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Update: So I just found out I know somebody who has it. It's my brothers, friends, older brother... He lives in Seattle I believe. He made a huge post on facebook about it. First of all, stating to please do not call or text him until you read the post. He said the amount of calls and texts he had been getting was worse than the actual illness. He's in his 40's, said that he thought he was just sick until he started noticing shortness of breath. After discussing everything with his doctor, and since he had been traveling he got tested. He wasn't experiencing a high fever either. He said he's all good and just doing everything he can to be healthy. Said that they advised him not to go to the ER unless the shortness of breath had started to make him blue in the face/got a lot worse.

I'm really sure that I would go to the ER before I turned blue in the face. I hope he's okay.