GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The bored at home / COVID19 / Working from home thread

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
totally agree, except that FFP3 are able to filter liquid aerosols, WHO confirmed yesterday during their daily live press Q&A that COVID-19 is not an airborne (aerosol) disease, the reason these medical personal are getting sick is that they have the wrong masks (surgical or FFP2 etc) while carrying out invasive respirator work, doing this creates high volumes of aerosol and without the correct masks (FFP3 or better) they are becoming infected, ALL of the masks delivered by the UK MOD to NHS hospitals over the past few days are FFP3, WHO, Public health England etc etc all recommend FFP3 , if not carrying out procedures that create aerosol (getting groceries) then surgical or FFP2 are adequate, but even then if nobody coughs or sneezes anywhere near you and you don’t touch your face before thoroughly cleaning your hands etc you should in theory be ok, as you say, it’s best to take the greatest precautions however and avoid people as much as possible and think along the lines that everything is infected and clean everywhere as much as possible.

Plain surgical masks only prevent you or an infected person breathing, coughing, sneezing out water droplets......if that

FFP3 are the best cheap masks & are a minimum of what everybody should be wearing in close spaces, any front line staff etc,

BUT in heavily contaminated areas..A2 as way tighter fit to face than FFP3....

& yesterday the PHE advice is described by the NHS as "inadequate"...….if you cough/sneeze the virus is in the drops you exhale...….the farther it travels before hitting a surface the more it increases the drying effect, which reduces the size of the water droplet which still carries the virus....as I stated before it becomes such that all you have left is a virus …..which is airborne for a short period...….if the air is moist then it will remain airborne for longer..

As for the WHO...I wouldn't trust them..thay have been "bought" by China..just look up the "dispute" between the WHO, Taiwan & China...over accurate info on this outbreak...

PS here is a report done by HSE (Health & Safety Executive)...way back in 2008 on the "effectiveness" of surgical masks & various others including FFP3...(note nothing higher was tested)...which were available to NHS....

https://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr619.pdf
The info was there..many NHS staff are getting Covid-19 due to bad PPE......all about £££...cheapest all the time..also why we only have on average 2.1, ICU beds per 1,000 of population....whereas many Asian countries have circa 7, ICU beds for 1,000 population..they increased theirs etc after SARS & MERS….

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Plain surgical masks only prevent you or an infected person breathing, coughing, sneezing out water droplets......if that

FFP3 are the best cheap masks & are a minimum of what everybody should be wearing in close spaces, any front line staff etc,

BUT in heavily contaminated areas..A2 as way tighter fit to face than FFP3....

& yesterday the PHE advice is described by the NHS as "inadequate"...….if you cough/sneeze the virus is in the drops you exhale...….the farther it travels before hitting a surface the more it increases the drying effect, which reduces the size of the water droplet which still carries the virus....as I stated before it becomes such that all you have left is a virus …..which is airborne for a short period...….if the air is moist then it will remain airborne for longer..

As for the WHO...I wouldn't trust them..thay have been "bought" by China..just look up the "dispute" between the WHO, Taiwan & China...over accurate info on this outbreak...

PS here is a report done by HSE (Health & Safety Executive)...way back in 2008 on the "effectiveness" of surgical masks & various others including FFP3...(note nothing higher was tested)...which were available to NHS....

https://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr619.pdf
The info was there..many NHS staff are getting Covid-19 due to bad PPE......all about £££...cheapest all the time..also why we only have on average 2.1, ICU beds per 1,000 of population....whereas many Asian countries have circa 7, ICU beds for 1,000 population..they increased theirs etc after SARS & MERS….
Yes I agree with you, more needs to be done, but it is fair to say there is a shortage of masks from reputable sources due to the global demand at present, WHO actually state FFP2 as minimum I believe!! I’ve read about WHO maybe being in China’s pocket but I believe after looking into it that it’s probably false, I don’t know on that though.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yes I agree with you, more needs to be done, but it is fair to say there is a shortage of masks from reputable sources due to the global demand at present, WHO actually state FFP2 as minimum I believe!! I’ve read about WHO maybe being in China’s pocket but I believe after looking into it that it’s probably false, I don’t know on that though.

Yeah many "think" FFP2 is ok..in contaminated areas....I wouldn't set foot in any such area unless A2 & full on disposable onesie suit & face shield...…..

I can't get the PPE I want to go into the shops to shop for my mum who is in the heath risk group.....so I'm touching as few things as possible, wearing disposable ppe black nitrile gloves (what I use for mechanicing )& timing myself to no more than 15mins in any shop...or enclosed space...….

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Yeah many "think" FFP2 is ok..in contaminated areas....I wouldn't set foot in any such area unless A2 & full on disposable onesie suit & face shield...…..

I can't get the PPE I want to go into the shops to shop for my mum who is in the heath risk group.....so I'm touching as few things as possible, wearing disposable ppe black nitrile gloves (what I use for mechanicing )& timing myself to no more than 15mins in any shop...or enclosed space...….
Gloves don’t make any difference, you can’t absorb corona through your skin, gloves or not if you touch your face you’re at risk, if it’s on the gloves and you touch it taking them off, it’s then on your hands! Then you need to wash them anyway, gloves are not a substitute for hand washing, I’ve seen so many people potentially cross contaminating while wearing gloves as they somehow think it’s protecting them, they then touch door handles, their face etc while wearing them, think about it!! Wash your hands..

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Gloves don’t make any difference, you can’t absorb corona through your skin, gloves or not if you touch your face you’re at risk, if it’s on the gloves and you touch it taking them off, it’s then on your hands! Then you need to wash them anyway, gloves are not a substitute for hand washing, I’ve seen so many people potentially cross contaminating while wearing gloves as they somehow think it’s protecting them, they then touch door handles, their face etc while wearing them, think about it!! Wash your hands..

I know you can't absorb the virus through your skin...but I have a few open skin splits on my fingers...so nitrile gloves are best...

The main reason I wear them is to avoid cross contanination.....eg using fuel pumps, opening the door of the petrol station etc....get back to car & then remove gloves outside before you get in, easy to do & not touch the outside of gloves....just fold back on themselves as you remove....nice clean hands then..no cross contamination...so ok for steering wheel of your car etc....

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Soooo MOPP-4?

Gonna get stinky up in here!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I know you can't absorb the virus through your skin...but I have a few open skin splits on my fingers...so nitrile gloves are best...

The main reason I wear them is to avoid cross contanination.....eg using fuel pumps, opening the door of the petrol station etc....get back to car & then remove gloves outside before you get in, easy to do & not touch the outside of gloves....just fold back on themselves as you remove....nice clean hands then..no cross contamination...so ok for steering wheel of your car etc....
Yeah, I get ya, they’re fine if used in the right situation (such as you describe) and disposed of properly, the problem arises when someone puts on gloves then just carries on like they’ve found the cure! This is why the main message that is circulated to the masses is to wash your hands, those of a limited iQ can understand that!
EDIT : You should of course (as I’m sure you’re aware) still wash your hands as much as possible even if you have been wearing gloves.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Looks like its going to be 13 weeks lock down here...so middle of June.....

& South Korea has had "spike" again...with half of the new cases from people who have flown IN from Europe...all because SK have a screening & isolation system set up at the airports etc...basically they are tracking it like mad...& can contain it far better than us & produce these stats...

& Trump has so far backed out of a NY lock down....all about the $$$$$.....like he states the country will be back to normal for Easter...next year maybe mate, but not this year....

the longer you don't restrict movement the more of a problem you build up for yourself...

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Looks like its going to be 13 weeks lock down here...so middle of June.....

& South Korea has had "spike" again...with half of the new cases from people who have flown IN from Europe...all because SK have a screening & isolation system set up at the airports etc...basically they are tracking it like mad...& can contain it far better than us & produce these stats...

& Trump has so far backed out of a NY lock down....all about the $$$$$.....like he states the country will be back to normal for Easter...next year maybe mate, but not this year....

the longer you don't restrict movement the more of a problem you build up for yourself...
The UK government always stated it would most likely be around 12/13 weeks, they’ve thrown out shorter ‘maybe’ durations lately to stop people freaking out.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Wear a mask! People may look at you funny, but hey! FFP3 rated is the type needed and wash your hands with plenty of soap or use hand sanitiser after touching anything while you’re collecting, don’t touch your face at all without clean hands.

Great idea but there are no masks to be had. Whenever anyone can find them they are being allocated to hospitals and doctors offices.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Great idea but there are no masks to be had. Whenever anyone can find them they are being allocated to hospitals and doctors offices.
in the UK 1.5M people in your position have been ordered to stay indoors for 12 weeks, the government has set up a dedicated food and meds order line for them with military assisted deliveries, look after yourself and keep 2metres apart from people when delivering, wash your hands with soap a lot, and don’t touch your face without cleaning them first.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
in the UK 1.5M people in your position have been ordered to stay indoors for 12 weeks, the government has set up a dedicated food and meds order line for them with military assisted deliveries, look after yourself and keep 2metres apart from people when delivering, wash your hands with soap a lot, and don’t touch your face without cleaning them first.

Will do thank you. Currently I don't even go into facilities they just send someone outside and I don't have them sign for the delivery so I'm two arm lengths from everyone. The deliveries I make to group homes and private residences I ring the doorbell using the bag I'm delivering to push the doorbell button. It's only when I'm in the pharmacy picking up the meds that I'm close to people. The pharmacy has rules that when you enter wash your hands and take your temperature but the big flaw is a person can be a carrier without symptoms.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Will do thank you. Currently I don't even go into facilities they just send someone outside and I don't have them sign for the delivery so I'm two arm lengths from everyone. The deliveries I make to group homes and private residences I ring the doorbell using the bag I'm delivering to push the doorbell button. It's only when I'm in the pharmacy picking up the meds that I'm close to people. The pharmacy has rules that when you enter wash your hands and take your temperature but the big flaw is a person can be a carrier without symptoms.
Yeah, they think there could be very many asymptomatic people out there, I think in time we will find more people have had it than we’d believe right now, i actually think I had it on December 26th, it came on suddenly and I was out of it for 10 days but didn’t fully recover for around 3 weeks, it was all the classic symptoms, I’ve had the flu vaccination too which makes it all the more puzzling! And what I discovered yesterday is (I order a lot of stuff from China) that I received a package 5 days before from Hubei province!! Symptoms show 5 days after exposure apparently! They say it can’t live very long on surfaces, well not long enough to last in transit anyway, but what about in zip seal bags?? All coincidence? Hmm, I’m not sure..

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Yeah, they think there could be very many asymptomatic people out there

There was an article I read about Iceland talking about how they've tested a bunch of people whether they have symptoms or not. They didn't have a whole lot of people test positive, but from those that did half of them were asymptomatic.