The Best coilovers on the market !!!

xyouthx

slow ass car
u have an intake!! No power mods pfff, you better be in SM with that thing

Minimaul

Chronic Masturbator
Car(s)
e36 m3/4/5
Pretty fancy stuff. They're a bit out of my price range, but I'll have to consider 'em 'cause they seem to do a lot more than what I was thinking about getting. I'm looking for a good set of coils for autocross and daily driving.

EL_3grab

Beast from Middle East
Dan can you please explain this to me

"1. Adjustable shock body length
This allows you to lower your car without sacrificing shock travel. Most other coilovers achieve lowering by lowering the spring, this compresses the shock when the car is motionless, which means for each inch you lower the car that is 1 inch less of shock travel, which is bad for suspension. Without suspension travel there is no damping. You can see in the first picture the min and max settings for shock body length."

How come adjusting the shock length doesn't affect the travel?? Example, would you have 4 inch travel at min. and max shock body length?

More picture on how adjusting the length? :)

Dan GSR

Autocross Champion
Dan can you please explain this to me...

How come adjusting the shock length doesn't affect the travel?? Example, would you have 4 inch travel at min. and max shock body length?

More picture on how adjusting the length? :)

great question
im sure others are confused about this as well

to understand this, you have to understand how different coilover systems achieve lowering
most kits ( bilstein, koni, h&r, kw, fk, patec....etc) achieve drop by lowering the spring perch

I will show for example how this is done
in the first picture you see the coilover how it comes out of the box
in the second picture you will see the spring perch lowerd about 2"
this is how the "other" kits would achieve drop
so when the car is taken off the lift and put onto the ground, the shock will compress 2" before it becomes in contact with the sping
Also by doing this you are reducing the life of the shock as it has to work harder to dampen the same amount of force thru a shorter distance
reason why lowering this way is bad? well the shock has about 3.5" of overall shock travel
this will compress a little under the weight of the car, so now you have about 3" of shock travel to work with, now if you lower the spring perch by 2", you now only have 1" of shock travel that you are acutally using, it is VERY difficult for any shock to properly dampen a car with only 1" of shock travel. The longer the shock travel, the longer the duration the shock has to properly dampen a compression cycle.

In this next example you will see how the cross coilovers are superior when it comes to lowering the vehicle without compromising performance of the shock. In the third picture you will see the coilovers taken apart to show how the length of the shock body can be lengthed to maximum height. In the fourth picture you will see how then can be shortened to minimum ride height. In both settings, shock travel is unaffected. So you have the full 3.5" of shock travel available ( minus droop from the weight of the vechicle).
In the fifth picture you can see the shock assembled with minimum and maximum ride height settings side by side. Again with the same amount of shock travel in both settings. Also by having independent adjustments of body length and spring perch position we can preload the spring. Doing so can make the spring more responsive.

Dan GSR

Autocross Champion

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Wow, that's pretty sweet. So now since you have the same amount of travel, does that mean the rates are the same? I've ridden in my friends GTI with H&R Coils lowered about 2.5" in the front and 2.25" in the rear, and it's bouncy. I'm assuming this is because the rates are stiffer and there's less suspension travel. Am I correct?

Dan GSR

Autocross Champion
it doesn't effect the spring rate

the harshness that you feel is due to lack of shock travel
because the h&r coilovers requires the spring perch to be lowered
you have such little shock travel when lowered as much as your buddies car is
so what is happening is the little shock travel that is there (about 1") gets compressed quickly, then your on your bumpstop, and the shock just simply stops compressing, and all that energy has to go somewhere, so its forced onto the frame/body of the car....thats when you feel the harshness

Last edited:

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Yeah, that's what I figured. Makes sense. His car looks sick that low, but I don't think I could daily drive something that bouncy/stiff everyday.