GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

the Battery life of Tablets

vw761

Ready to race!
What do you go when the battery dies in these xoom, ipads, galaxy 10.1 etc? I havent seen much on how much it would cost to replace the battery in these big tablets. I assume battery life is 2-3 years with regular daily use. I am now leaning heavily towards the Toshiba Thrive because its has a removable battery.

utekineir

Banned
Had my 3g iPad for over a year, it sees a large amount of use. Battery lasts about as well as it did when new (8-10 hours). Charge every 2-3 days or so overnight usually.

By the time the battery is junk I will have replaced it with a new model and sold this one on craigslist. Technology moves too fast. IPad 3 should be a nice big upgrade.

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 GTI DSG
Had my 3g iPad for over a year, it sees a large amount of use. Battery lasts about as well as it did when new (8-10 hours).

By the time the battery is junk I won't care, will be time for a new one. Technology moves too fast.

That's how I see it too. My ipod hasn't had any battery issues and I use it daily for 2 yrs now. I'm assuming the battery in my ipad2 is the same type or better hopefully. OP have you got a GTI yet? Jus curious...also I'd go w/ the ipad. Everyone I know who gets something else for another reason wishes they got the ipad. Lack of flash is shit, I know but everything else makes up for it.

mikegabriel

Banned
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
Had my 3g iPad for over a year, it sees a large amount of use. Battery lasts about as well as it did when new (8-10 hours). Charge every 2-3 days or so overnight usually.

By the time the battery is junk I won't care, will be time for a new one. Technology moves too fast.

QFT.

In my opinion, I see average lifespan of a portable battery (Camera, Laptop, Cellphone, etc) is around 3 years. Usually by that point they just don't hold enough of a charge to make them of any use. In my iPad 2, the battery lasts a good 10 hours under heavy use. If by 3 years it's only holding half that charge, I'll still consider it useful. Might be charging it nightly by that point but that's a minor issue.

Tablet batteries are quite a bit larger than what you're used to seeing.

vw761

Ready to race!
That's how I see it too. My ipod hasn't had any battery issues and I use it daily for 2 yrs now. I'm assuming the battery in my ipad2 is the same type or better hopefully. OP have you got a GTI yet? Jus curious...also I'd go w/ the ipad. Everyone I know who gets something else for another reason wishes they got the ipad. Lack of flash is shit, I know but everything else makes up for it.

Nope no GTI, 2 months ago I bought a 2011 Mazda3 Hatch with the 2.5 motor. I couldnt pull off the payments on a new GTI With DSG, it was about 6k over budget. The 3 handles damm near GTI levels, and the 2.5 is no slouch for a NA 4 banger. I'm pretty happy so far.

I think I am going to get the Toshiba Thrive tablet next month.