GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tesla to release $35k car in 2017, "Tesla Model III"

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Tesla trying to compete with new electric BMW 3 Series rival..launching 35k in 3 years...more information at the link below.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcneal/2014/07/16/a-35000-tesla-model-iii-is-coming-in-2017/

"Late Tuesday night, Tesla Motors TSLA +0.3% confirmed that a third-generation car called the Model III will be coming in 2017. The car will cost a mere $35,000, according to a report, half the price of the popular Model S. The pricing will position the vehicle to compete with the BMW 3-series.

Tesla’s confirmation came in a Tweet, responding to to an exclusive article by Auto Express EXPR +3.41% magazine, which wrote:

Tesla founder and CEO Elon Musk has exclusively revealed to Auto Express plans for a new electric BMW 3 Series rival, including its name – Tesla Model III. There were rumours that a new smaller Tesla was to be called Model E, but in one of his most candid interviews yet, Musk revealed why he had to have a rethink on the name. “We had the model S for sedan and X for crossover SUV, then a friend asked what we were going to call the third car,” Musk told us. “So I said we had the model S and X, we might as well have the E.

Key to the new model, which Musk said should retail for around $35,000 (likely to equate to around £30,000 in the UK), is cheaper battery technology made possible by Tesla’s forthcoming Gigafactory.”

rumored prototype photo

"The Model 3 is technically Tesla’s fourth car, scheduled to hit the market after the Model X. The X is a seven passenger ”crossover” vehicle. The vehicle is rumored to have a range of less than 306 miles (the current range of the Model S). Earlier this year, Elon Musk spoke about the vehicle noting that it would be 20 percent smaller than the Model S, with a shorter range. Auto Express posted photos of the new car, which Tesla says are mock-ups based on Auto Express speculation.

The confirmation follows news that Qihoo, a Chinese Internet security company claims to have found a way to hack a Tesla. Forbes contributor Eric Mu, writes “It is not yet clear under what conditions these results were generated, or if they were concocted to the purported tests at all, but if our instinctual assumption is proved true and what we see is what the hack is capable of achieving, then the maker of the famed car should seriously rethink their cyber security measures.”

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Hope it's not that ugly prototype

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I saw the BMW i3 at Safeway over the weekend, up close and personal :yikes: . I don't understand why they have to make electric cars so hideous....

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
How do you hack a Tesla? What is the point?

And what is with all the weird % numbers?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
How do you hack a Tesla? What is the point?

And what is with all the weird % numbers?

Many new cars have internet or satellite connectivity. The point is to prove it's possible...

The % shows the current stock fluctuation of the company referenced in the Forbes article. The OP did a copy/paste from the Forbes article.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Many new cars have internet or satellite connectivity. The point is to prove it's possible...

The % shows the current stock fluctuation of the company referenced in the Forbes article. The OP did a copy/paste from the Forbes article.

Stupid. Both are stupid.

Of course it is able to be hacked. Everything can be hacked.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Stupid. Both are stupid.

Of course it is able to be hacked. Everything can be hacked.

Yep, and they have to call it out because people are often stupid, oblivious or both :(

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Yep, and they have to call it out because people are often stupid, oblivious or both :(

Or just don't care.

This is a neat little car. Not for me, but I can see the allure of it for sure.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't mind a Model X but I has no plug at my garage space.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
I dunno about the car, but I'm just happy to see Tesla making it...at least for the present.

There is a new Tesla dealership going in right next to others in the local "auto row"....cool that they sell direct and eschew the dealership model. Some eastern state (North Carolina?) banned Tesla after the local auto dealership lobby got their paid congressman to pass legislation...#oldboycronyism.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
$35K - good to see it at that price point. Too bad the styling is basically just a mini Model S.

For that price, I'll be rollin' coal in an STI.

Bender1

Banned
I dunno about the car, but I'm just happy to see Tesla making it...at least for the present.

There is a new Tesla dealership going in right next to others in the local "auto row"....cool that they sell direct and eschew the dealership model. Some eastern state (North Carolina?) banned Tesla after the local auto dealership lobby got their paid congressman to pass legislation...#oldboycronyism.

In most states, universally in eastern ones, it is ILLEGAL to have manufactures sell direct. These are olldddd laws. Nothing new about them. PA just passed (last week) a Tesla law to allow Tesla to sell direct.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
$35K - good to see it at that price point. Too bad the styling is basically just a mini Model S.

For that price, I'll be rollin' coal in an STI.

:laugh:

ive always said it...why buy a 75k electric hybrid car...you have the money to spend on the gas. < but tesla is the exception since it also hauls ass.

If this 35k tesla is rwd and puts out good performance numbers like model s, would be pretty awesome.