GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Television recommendations

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Yeah. years ago, the only thing that really changed was that TVs got larger (and heavier). In 2000, I bought a 37 inch TV (huuuuuuge for the time) that weighed 180 lbs. Today, the 50 inch LCD weighs 35lbs and is considered small'ish.

Today, my 7 year old 50 inch is far better than my 15 year old 47 inch and I'm sure that even the cheapest new TV will be better.
You should see how thick some of the oleds are today lol

1652198900398.png

Ragdude

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
Yeah. years ago, the only thing that really changed was that TVs got larger (and heavier). In 2000, I bought a 37 inch TV (huuuuuuge for the time) that weighed 180 lbs. Today, the 50 inch LCD weighs 35lbs and is considered small'ish.

Today, my 7 year old 50 inch is far better than my 15 year old 47 inch and I'm sure that even the cheapest new TV will be better.
I have almost the same story lol

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
The main issue has been adaptive refresh rate which i really don't care about. It's not for gaming. I really just care about picture quality (and budget pricing) and the Sony does really well. Not just looking at specs, but at reviews.

Disclaimer : although i pretend to know about this stuff, most times i can't tell the difference between a great TV and a good one
They added VRR about a year after release. It works for TV, not so well for gamin g. They promised 120Hz refresh rate capability and still, and will probably never, deliver on it. I don't game, but I also don't think that companies should be able to get away with crap like that.

The high end Hisense are just about in the same league as the big names. Good value for your money.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
From what I've seen, they don't have an agenda or sponsored brands that they push. I was wary to at first. Normally just looked at CNET and Toms Guide, but started to see that Rtings was the only one to test so many TV's. Didn't trust at first but as i read more and more reviews, it seemed legit.
I agree that they don't play favorites, but they also push a lot of butterflies and lollipops. They are rarely very critical about anything, and they don't do a good job of following up after the TV is first released.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
They added VRR about a year after release. It works for TV, not so well for gamin g. They promised 120Hz refresh rate capability and still, and will probably never, deliver on it. I don't game, but I also don't think that companies should be able to get away with crap like that.

The high end Hisense are just about in the same league as the big names. Good value for your money.
Yeah. Sony owners on the forums are still pissed off about that.

The x91j i got still has that issue where vrr doesn't work. But it's on Cocomelon and Jojo 95%of the time, so doesn't bother me. Next step was to replace the tv in our 2nd smaller living room with a 55 or 65" C1, but main tv was on the receiving end of toy stethoscope swung by my 2 YO, so had to replace that first.

Did quite a bit of research. Considered hisense, but better models are not available in 85. Samsung's from this year were inferior to the Sony. The vizios (p series i think) are pretty decent but for the price, the Sony still came out on top.

cb1111

Yeah. Sony owners on the forums are still pissed off about that.

The x91j i got still has that issue where vrr doesn't work. But it's on Cocomelon and Jojo 95%of the time, so doesn't bother me. Next step was to replace the tv in our 2nd smaller living room with a 55 or 65" C1, but main tv was on the receiving end of toy stethoscope swung by my 2 YO, so had to replace that first.

Did quite a bit of research. Considered hisense, but better models are not available in 85. Samsung's from this year were inferior to the Sony. The vizios (p series i think) are pretty decent but for the price, the Sony still came out on top.
Selling the kid would have MADE you money....

I have a Vizio in the exercise room and it is amazingly good, but I'm not sure what the bigger ones are like.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Selling the kid would have MADE you money....

I have a Vizio in the exercise room and it is amazingly good, but I'm not sure what the bigger ones are like.
I have a 32" Vizio smart TV, but I use it with the Roku. The one thing that drives me nuts are the constant firmware updates that render the TV unbootable without a full reset.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Anyone have a review on that 75 inch tv Costco has on sale right now? Seems like an incredible deal.
I'm not a Costco member anymore, so I can't see the member pricing. Post a screenshot.

Costco works with major manufacturers to produce Costco unique models. My Sony X900H is really a Costco Sony X90CH. They are exactly the same electronically, except the warranty is longer on the CH. Don't assume that this is always he case, though. Other manufacturers strip out features, finishes, or functionality for big box retail specific models.

cb1111

1652276942395.png

Great buy for an intro level TV - great for me (and most of the rest of us)

Sam's has this - any thoughts on that?

1652277086860.png

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
All I ever hear about samsungs is how many ads they put on those tv's. I'm not sure it's as bad as people say it is, but I'd avoid samsung for that alone.