GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TDI replacement - my 4 door S14

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Since I gave my TDI back to VW as part of Dieselgate, I've been on the hunt for a proper JDM vehicle to get back into a scene that I had departed from many years ago. After looking at a few vehicles, I've decided to finally settle on this:

After scouring the Japanese auctions and continuously being outbid (adding to the frustration) on many MT examples, I was able to score an excellent deal on a low kilometer example of a highly sought-after Japanese RWD vehicle: a '93 Toyota JZX90 Mark II Tourer V auto with 79,000 km's (49,000 miles). The 4 door S14 reference comes from the fact that it reminds me of my S14 Zenki I had in the mid 2000's. Unlike the other examples I've seen that go into auction, this is a well-kept example most likely owned by a Japanese salaryman throughout the years in the country. It was a 3.5 grade car and no accidents either, which is surprising given how many of them are drift missiles in Ebisu. It comes with a twin-turbo inline 6 courtesy of the legendary 1JZ-GTE engine, which is renowned for being a potent powerplant and being very receptive to modifications. Since it's an auto, there's a fat chance it doesn't have a LSD (LSD was an option for automatic models), but that's fine with me.

I've already bought S2 Kouki tail-lights for a steal on Yahoo! Auctions Japan, which will provide a more updated look on the vehicle (think of the S14 Kouki tails as an example), and will purchase some more modifications to have installed on the car before it leaves port soon.

Plans for the vehicle while in Japan:

Vertex aero kit (only using front and rear bumper add-on's along with side skirts)
HKS Hi-Power 409 Exhaust
S2 Kouki tail lights
Roof Spoiler
Windshield replacement (there's a chip on the windshield and OEM windshields are super cheap via YJA)
Any recalls that need to be done
PowerFC (if I can find one for JZZ30/JZX90)
Front strut bar

Plans once the car arrives stateside:

Manual swap with AR5 instead of R154
Full gasket and seal overhaul (to be done concurrently with the manual swap)
Take off aero kit upon arrival
Wheels - Either R34 GTR wheels, Grenade GX-01's, or Volk Racing TE-37/SL
Coilovers - Fortune Auto
SerialNine differential and subframe bushings
SerialNine tension rods
USDM JZA80 RZ/TT 4pot/2pot brake calipers
OS Giken 2-way LSD
Proper HID/LED retrofit - with projectors and clearing of the headlight lens
Possible LED retrofit of tail lights
Rear camera
Y-Pipe
FMIC
Koyo Radiator
Single turbo setup (stock twin turbos are not durable)
Aftermarket harmonic balancer - OEM ones are known to fail prematurely
Full respray with body kit
R134a retrofit

Will finally be nice to have a RWD turbocharged vehicle for a change. Looking forward to it when it arrives stateside.

Last edited:

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
A glorified Toyota Camry?

The JZX90 Mark II has zero in common with the Camry, other than the Toyota badge. The Camry hasn't been RWD since the early 80s.

Besides, they have more potential than any VW in existence.

Whereas the GTI and the Golf R are technically glorified VW Golf's.

That being said, I wouldn't mind sporting a Camry badge on the car for sleeper status lol

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
I was kidding, but they're pretty damn similar looking:

It's all good, I just wanted to spice it up in hopes of generating more traffic since this forum is pretty much dead :laugh:

But yeah, in stock form it sure as fuck does! It needs aero to truly shine, and the Car Wonder Modify kit is the best one for it:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Oh wow.

All pics aren’t coming through for me.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I like many things JDM, but not a fan of the 4 door and automatic is a deal breaker for me. Hope you enjoy it.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Very nice, dude. That thing fucks.

Cheers.

I like many things JDM, but not a fan of the 4 door and automatic is a deal breaker for me. Hope you enjoy it.

4 doors aren't for everybody, I can concur with that. However, this sedan is more sought after by the drift community than the S-chassis even.

As for automatic, I'm having the manual swap done over in Japan with a JZX110 R154 so a lot of the parts will be brand new and ready to go when it's done. That's the only thing that has prevented the car from reaching shores as I changed my mind on doing the swap stateside. Rasty out in Chiba will be doing the work as they are well known for their work on MT swaps in Japan so the car will be in good hands.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Rasty's video of a AT to MT swap on a JZX100 Mark II:

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
It has begun. Car is now at Rasty getting the JZX110 R154 swap done and HKS Hi-Power exhaust installed :thumbup:

Last edited:

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Oops, forgot the photos don't resize automatically here.

I'll resize them in a bit.

Edit: Ended up hosting a different set of pics from their FB page. I'll resize the original ones later on.

Last edited: