GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tailgate wiring loom broken

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi

I have an issue where I had to install a new rubber. Grommet in the tailgate left side, I cut the wires from the harness in order to get new grommet on. I colour coded cables both side of the cut and taped off the piece I had to pull through the grommet.

my colour codings came off when pulling back through so no idea where around 6 of the small white cables go

I heat shrunken the wires I know deonoftely matched im just presuming if I connect the others I don’t know they are unlikely to work as desired as I presume they are different relays

any advise?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
That's not good sucks that VW for some reason decided to not color code some of the wires in the hatch. I suspect all those white wires are the same diameter so you cant narrow it down to where they go. The only two things I can think of is 1) get a replacement harness for that side for about $150 or 2) pull the various trim panels from the hatch area to gain access to plugs on both ends and use a wiring diagram to match the cut wires.

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
That's not good sucks that VW for some reason decided to not color code some of the wires in the hatch. I suspect all those white wires are the same diameter so you cant narrow it down to where they go. The only two things I can think of is 1) get a replacement harness for that side for about $150 or 2) pull the various trim panels from the hatch area to gain access to plugs on both ends and use a wiring diagram to match the cut wires.

yes it sucks for sure
I’m gonna try join up the 6 small white wires tomorrow as a last ditch attempt, I’ve now also noticed that the high level brake light ain’t working either even though I crimped the two cables back on

all as a result of installing jom led, I had to run the extra wires needed thru the grommet, right side not as bad as not as many wires that side is 100%

my own fault for not marking each with different permanent marker, I should have just left cables out of the grommet

say only option is buy a new one , presume I’d have to take off the terminals and then re wire

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
It will look like this

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
It will look like this

Thanks a mil really appreciated

smartest thing to do is connect at the relays then take off the connectors that connect on the tailgate itself

then colour code what’s left so I know what connector it goes into.
It’s only the main loom that’s confusing

other two splices that are on the loom are goin g to the high level brake light and then there are two other thick wires on a separate loom

Why did I try install the jom led rear lights lol
Should have left them with wires hanging out and walked away

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
This should give you an idea what is involved to R&R the harness or trace the wires back with the aid of a wiring diagram is you go that route

https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=86689.0
Thank you for that, I’ll see can I find the diagram thanks again
best off just buying a new one anyway as I know these fail anyway so would have had to splice it or replace it at some stage

Thanks a lot for the info