GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sydney: FULL Day Drive GTG Sat 21st November

JohnnyG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32 DSG 4-Motion
How bout those that know how to drive and know these roads, be allowed to enjoy themselves and anyone else who is unsure be allowed to take their time.

Floody I second that, us Pirate's know these roads, we've been driving them for a long time now

All Naturally Aspirated cars at the back :lol:HaHaha not us R32's

JohnnyG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32 DSG 4-Motion
If the front pack get too far ahead and there is a large gap/group behind, someone who knows where we are going should wait behind and radio through and then guide the pack. Something I learnt from the Mini guys on the Camden cruise.

Cam made a good point, it works when us Pirates do drive days

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
it now looks like ill be on my own for the day.

my intended co pilot has just told me he has to work that weekend.
so im not sure if ill be able to go the whole day or not.

ill see how im feeling on the day, but io WILL be there for al least half of the outing.

chaddy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
it now looks like ill be on my own for the day.

my intended co pilot has just told me he has to work that weekend.
so im not sure if ill be able to go the whole day or not.

ill see how im feeling on the day, but io WILL be there for al least half of the outing.

Half a drive is better than none:wink:

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
true that :thumbsup:

Jason.

chris32

Out of control
Car(s)
R32
Just got the okay from work, got saturday off, so put me down as coming :thumbsup:

Last edited:

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Sorry for the absence, this week has been busy!

Updated first post.
Meet point will be PM'd tonight in case there are last minute stragglers coming in.
Given the size of the group has the potential to eclipse the Nov 07 GTG (though not all VAG) I think Mt Kiera is now out of the question, especially if we end up with over 30.

(Thanks to a fellow forum member's suggestion)
May I introduce the concept of:

Drive Marshalls (abbreviated DM below)

These will be a selected number of responsible participants whose role is to guide sections of the group and keep their eyes and ears out for those who:
  • repeatedly flout important rules
  • make a nuisance of themselves
  • repeatedly place those of the group or public at risk
  • bring the group/forum into disrepute

As such the DM will need to be/possess the following:
  • Have a CB radio (preferably 1W minimum)
  • Know the route
  • Have significant experience with GTGs
  • A role leader during non-"spirited" sections of the drive

Having DMs will allow the group to be split into sections whilst keeping the group in general together. Myself & the DMs can rotate throughout the group so that the DMs do not always have to be at the front or back of the group.

The DMs and myself can make a group decision on what to do with recalcitrant participants, which can include restricting their further participation in the GTG.

I am open to requests to be a DM and as the GTG coordinator/first DM I can vette who ends up being one. Please PM if you don't feel you wish to publicly announce putting your hand up.

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
Haha, drive marshalls sounds so gay, I personally think its too big and suggest either two groups or even split it up over two weekends. We don't need additional policing, Sydney streets are policed enough as it is.

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
I'm not looking at the marshalls as police. More a way of drawing attention to those who might choose to be an idiot on the day so we can have a chat with them and they can make a decision to either tow the line or leave the GTG.
I'm no fun police, but having seen what's happened on past GTGs here and elsewhere, I don't want to be the one that has to clean up any "mess" (not that I will either).

Public aside, I also don't want the day/forum member's experience ruined by something like someone running up the back of someone else...

Drive within your/car's/road's limits and don't be an idiot in full view of the public and you won't have anything to worry about. In that case the marshall's would really be more of a tour guide - what I'm hoping will happen on the day.

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
I think it will be too hard to split over more days especially as people have taken time off work to make it.

Depends on what you look to as a "group".
I don't envisage turning the day into a 100%-fast-as-you-can-track-on-the-streets day.
Certainly not the intention.
So with that in mind, sure there's going to be breaks between the more experienced drivers and those in the back but I don't think this would be more than a minute or 2 at most, thru the RNP for example.

This is also a reminder for those without CB's to seriously consider either getting on or borrowing one - and charging it up. It will really help keep things flowing.

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Here's an example of what will get you thrown out of the GTG - no questions asked. Period.

doublelineinfringement.jpg

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
as would be expected, that kind of behaviour is plain stupidity.

on an unrelated note, is anyone planning to bring along a laptop and VCDS ?

i would like to have some coding done if possible ?

Jason

camerooney

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Dub!
Holy jeebus, that ain't good.
I don't think anyone on the last 2 drives drove like that. Everybody seemed pretty sensible.

Is that a Bora/Passat in that photo?

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Just a note on the aboveposted pic.
This is not an example of just overcooking the corner - you will notice the road is still straight. This is a deliberate move across the lines to improve corner entry.

Having said that - I would expect all participants who do find it difficult to keep within the lines to learn to modify their driving so they can remain within them. This may necessitate reducing your speed, improving corner setup and/or not trying to keep up with the car in front. I would also expect that this "learning" occurs quite quickly and should not take more than 1-2 corners.

Ordering the group should help control the urge to keep up with the car in front. If you find you're being pressured behind or in front, let me know and I will try to reposition you to a less stressful position. All of us have to start somewhere, let's try to keep our newbies safe.

This is not to say I am an angel. It took me some time to gain an appreciation of the above stuff. But I was mindful of not being an idiot whilst learning and tried to keep my car in check whilst doing so. Hopefully I can pass on some wisdom that might keep people out of trouble during the GTG and save them learning from their mistakes the hard way.

Edit:
A good example was triode12 in his Pirelli at the last GTG. He found it difficult to keep up at the beginning of the RNP because of his inexperience with the route vs mine. As such he voluntarily moved to the rear :clap: and had (I believe) a much more enjoyable day, without the pressure of someone pushing him from behind.

Last edited: