GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension Help Please

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
Ok so im not the brightest person when it comes to the whole suspension thing. I have been reasearching it for a while now and i think i know what kit i want to get but i am stuck cause there are a few questions that i have about suspension in general. the first question is what is the difference between coilover kits and shock strut kits. Second how do you people feel about the koni elbach spring kit vs the neuspeed koni kit. Honestly i am leaning towards geting the koni elbach spring kit, but i want to get the best that i can get. third question is are these kits really worth all the money. do they improve driving the vechile all that much. I would really like some imput from those that have some of these products, and could tell me how they are, but that dont mean that you have to own the product to answer my questions. I would just like to say thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out:iono:

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
Suspension kits come with shocks and matching springs. They are not height adjustable, so in other words, you will have a set height with the suspension kits. They are relatively inexpensive and serve the purpose just fine. Some suspension kits such as Koni, have adjustable dampening where you can set the dampening (a.k.a stiffness). You can get a shock kit and a spring set and match them perfectly fine. In the past I used Koni shocks with H&R springs, they were fine.

Coilover kits are a little different, they will give you the flexibility to adjust the height of your vehicle. One thing I like about them is the simple fact that I can lower the car as to my taste and/or use with the coilover kits. Some coilovers kits are only height adjustable such as H&R, KW V1. Some come with dampening adjustments such as KW V2, Bilstein PSS9s, some FKs.... Those set ups are expensive, but you will set your car exact the way you want to run in daily basis, also stiffen things up for track, auto-x. There are more complicated systems that will come with more adjustments suchs as rebound/compression.... KW V3 is a good example.

At the end you decide which way you want to go and please do not hesitate to ask any questions. Although this issue has been gone over several million times, we all should show the same courtesy to new members as they will use "Seach" function more often.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
coilovers are usually height adjustable, most cup kits (shock and spring) are not. i don't have a cup kitmyself, but imo, the performance will improve some, but isn't gonna improve drastically because the gti already has a pretty decent stock sport suspension, though it will help some.

if you plan to make changes or plan to use it as a daily and track car, then coils might be a good idea, especially one with height and dampening adjustment.

i definately think the suspension is worth the money, but obiously this is subjective. personally, i just got the eibach pro-kit springs and i'm using it with the stock shocks.