GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Supersprint resonator delete pipe

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
Available at NA Motorsports:

http://www.namotorsports.net/detail.cfm/part_cd/SS76.52.13

I realize that a shop can just cut the resonator out and slap in a straight section of pipe, but my car is leased and I din't want to hack the crap out of my stock exhaust. A single cut on the diagonal before the muffler is acceptable though, so i've ordered this pipe.
I won't go into the whole, does this pipe free up power bit, i'm just letting anyone who is interested know that I have ordered this and will be installing it probably next week. It should at least be on for H20.

veedubbin

intentionally left blank
Car(s)
VW's
let me know how you like this, I did not lease but I want to stay simple:thumbsup:

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
nice, thinking about going with a supersprint catback after my milltek

This isn't a cat-back,.....it's only the resonator delete. The OEM suitcase muffler is retained.

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
This isn't a cat-back,.....it's only the resonator delete. The OEM suitcase muffler is retained.

There isn't a huge difference in sound. Almost stock like. There's a local who replaced that muffler.

Comment
The rear section of the exhaust is all one piece. If you add that pipe, but you keep the suitcase, you'll have to cut something anyway. The rear resonator and the suitcase are all one big pipe from the factory. You'll still have to hack at it to install it.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
A single cut on the diagonal before the muffler is acceptable though,...

My friend has the resonator delete on his car and I think the sound is perfect for what I like. Obviously not as much as a full exhaust, but it has a nice meelow burble to it, alot better than stock, no drone, and just a little bit of "brap". I had a 3" GHL TB on my 1.8T and i'm NOT going back to that again, i'm getting too old for all that attention.

Yeah,....save a few hundred dollars, and still get a nice little bit of sound. It's all I need.:thumbsup:

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
I put the pipe in this weekend.....

Tools and Time - A ratchet and sockets, a hack saw or cutoff wheel, a jack and a couple of jack stands(or a lift), and about 20-30 minutes.

Parts - here is my only difficulty/dissappointment. The pipe comes with an internal sleeve adapter for the stock downpipe connection, BUT it doesn't come with a connection for the muffler crossover connection. The pipe is the metric equivalent of 2 1/2" back there(65mm), and none of my local shops had the joint in stock. You'll want to find a good connection before you go cutting anything. I suggest ordering a muffler replacement repair sleeve coupling from VW/Audi(65mmx95mm). The front sleeve connection that you remove to install the delete pipe is a smaller diameter(55mm?) and won't work farther back.

Fitment and Quality - except for the aforementioned misssing link, the pipe is of stock like quality, mandrel bent, good welds, burr free, etc. The fitment was cake, no issues with the hangers, plenty of clearance all around, smooth efficient angles, etc. No problems here.

Sound - In my opinion, perfect. It's definately not loud, or droney at all. In fact the only time you'll really notice alot of difference is when your accelerating or engine braking, where it will release a nice, very mellow, subtle purr. I have also noticed just the fainest hint of downshift burble in certain conditions, but it's difficult to replicate just yet. This sound is EXACTLY what I wanted, and what would have been perfect for the factory exhaust. This is definately a picky girlfriend friendly mod.

Power, Torque, and MILs - Because the connector I had at the time didn't fit the rear pipes, I took a quick drive around town with just the delete pipe on, no ehaust, no mufflers, just straight pipe. It was loud. But it also sounded pretty damn good. No MIL's, maybe a hint of throttle/boost response, but not enough to set a MIL, and surely not enough driving to let the ECU adapt to any possible change. A 2.5" non-resonated turbo is definately a future option of I feel the need to upgrade.
I doubt the resonator delete will improve any performance, but the sound is all I was looking for anyways, and in that repect, it definately delivers.

Overall - out of 10
Sound - 9
Performance -NA
Quality - 8
Value - 7

It's a bit expensive for what it is, but I needed it for simplicity of a return to a stock exhaust on a leased car. Also it can easily bolt up to a 2 1/2" DP if needed.

I'm happy. Pics might follow later, but only if there is enough demand. It's just a pipe.

R D

Ready to race!
I would like a shot/pic

I put the pipe in this weekend.....

Tools and Time - A ratchet and sockets, a hack saw or cutoff wheel, a jack and a couple of jack stands(or a lift), and about 20-30 minutes.

Parts - here is my only difficulty/dissappointment. The pipe comes with an internal sleeve adapter for the stock downpipe connection, BUT it doesn't come with a connection for the muffler crossover connection. The pipe is the metric equivalent of 2 1/2" back there(65mm), and none of my local shops had the joint in stock. You'll want to find a good connection before you go cutting anything. I suggest ordering a muffler replacement repair sleeve coupling from VW/Audi(65mmx95mm). The front sleeve connection that you remove to install the delete pipe is a smaller diameter(55mm?) and won't work farther back.

Fitment and Quality - except for the aforementioned misssing link, the pipe is of stock like quality, mandrel bent, good welds, burr free, etc. The fitment was cake, no issues with the hangers, plenty of clearance all around, smooth efficient angles, etc. No problems here.

Sound - In my opinion, perfect. It's definately not loud, or droney at all. In fact the only time you'll really notice alot of difference is when your accelerating or engine braking, where it will release a nice, very mellow, subtle purr. I have also noticed just the fainest hint of downshift burble in certain conditions, but it's difficult to replicate just yet. This sound is EXACTLY what I wanted, and what would have been perfect for the factory exhaust. This is definately a picky girlfriend friendly mod.

Power, Torque, and MILs - Because the connector I had at the time didn't fit the rear pipes, I took a quick drive around town with just the delete pipe on, no ehaust, no mufflers, just straight pipe. It was loud. But it also sounded pretty damn good. No MIL's, maybe a hint of throttle/boost response, but not enough to set a MIL, and surely not enough driving to let the ECU adapt to any possible change. A 2.5" non-resonated turbo is definately a future option of I feel the need to upgrade.
I doubt the resonator delete will improve any performance, but the sound is all I was looking for anyways, and in that repect, it definately delivers.

Overall - out of 10
Sound - 9
Performance -NA
Quality - 8
Value - 7

It's a bit expensive for what it is, but I needed it for simplicity of a return to a stock exhaust on a leased car. Also it can easily bolt up to a 2 1/2" DP if needed.

I'm happy. Pics might follow later, but only if there is enough demand. It's just a pipe.

Hi

It is a mod so I would like a pic or two of it

R D

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
BTW, this thing sounds awesome. I'll get some pics up soon.

I'll be at H20 if anyone wnats to hear it on a test drive.

Plyngntrffc

FIA GT Newbie
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
im sorry, but that pipe...looks EXACTLY like what is now replacing the area where my resonator was...to the T to be honest...and i paid...50 lol..but w/e i mean if u guys have ur reasons to do this go ahead...but its gonna have the same effect as it is just pipe...i bet mine sounds very very similar...

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
im sorry, but that pipe...looks EXACTLY like what is now replacing the area where my resonator was...to the T to be honest...and i paid...50 lol..but w/e i mean if u guys have ur reasons to do this go ahead...but its gonna have the same effect as it is just pipe...i bet mine sounds very very similar...

No, you're right. A muffler shop can weld in a section of 2 1/2" in place of the resonator for under $50, no problem. But I lease, so I only want to make a single cut at the factory cut point, and use the factory connections. For me, and maybe some others, this is a safer(and more expensive) route, to avoid warranty/lease return issues later. :thumbsup: