GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

superpro LCA group buy

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Great stuff but near total waste of money for what you get. Unsprung weight is pretty far down on the list of stuff that makes our cars slow.

The bushings are a different story, although still expensive for what they are. Personally I love the feeling of poly over the stock rubber.

panda_man22

Go Kart Champion
for me not knowing how long i will keep the car an extra set of control arms that can be swapped out upon a sale is worth the extra $ to me
weight savings is not super high on my list or id be on a diet

TypeR_126

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
I wouldn't underestimate the effects of unsprung weight on vehicles dynamics.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
I wouldn't underestimate the effects of unsprung weight on vehicles dynamics.

Except the benefits are nearly always overestimated by enthusiasts. The page I link below has a simple explanation of sprung and unsprung weight transfer and may give you some clues as to why stock unsprung mass is far down on the list of "flaws" that prevent a MKV from really performing on the track.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets24.html

TypeR_126

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Except the benefits are nearly always overestimated by enthusiasts.

That's painting with a pretty large brush. The benefits of reduced unsprung weight are not from weight transfer alone, which your link is addressing. In fact I would agree that it's negligible. The real benefit IMO is increasing the suspensions effectiveness in controlling motion.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Yes, but I would say mkv suspension is much more troubled by the overall geometry than by just being too heavy. These cars would get much more grip benefit out of a suspension that gives as close to constant camber curve as possible, tuned to load the tires as evenly as possible. Wouldn't you agree?

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Also, the wheels, brake system, spindle and even tires have more of an effect on the agility of the unsprung mass than the control arm because of their location and how they're attached, so the control arms don't seem to make sense to upgrade for relatively minor lightness gains given the price.