GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Supercharged BRZ + corolla or M235i?

diogoguitar

Hey guys

I basically need a car to commute and I was very close to pull the trigger on an M235i.
But it came to my mind that for the same money, I could get a comfortable daily commuter like a Corolla, and get a supercharged BRZ for fun weekends. Let's imagine I would get all of them the 2014 model.

I can basically get an M235i to do everything (commute+weekend) or get a commuter car plus an affordable sports car like a BRZ. Btw, my commute will be kinda bad (40-50 min each way) and if I were to get the M235i, it would be the manual

I didn't ask this in the BMW or Subaru owner's forum to get unbiased opinions.

So... any thoughts?

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Double the insurance.
Buy a GTI and have a better car than all 3 choices.:D

Tbh I agree with him, tho I've never driven on the track so I don't personally understand the hype about RWD.

How's that for an unbiased opinion?? [emoji16]

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
M235i drive it til it dies. Get extended warranty. Have fun

Given the OP's choice, I agree with this 100%...but with emphasis added for used 2014 model :)

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Before I answer: What is your idea of "fun" on the weekend?

Are you going to a track and doing autocross or performance driving events?
Or are you just going for a nice drive or car show?

Based on the answer, I'll have some input for sure.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion

Looking for this info as well and then I'll post up my opinions. I've driven a BRZ/FRS and 135i/335i so I think I can put in some good insight.

\w/

Ready to race!
Stock BRZ performance will disappoint you like no other.

you need to dump a good $5k to take it to a level that it should've been at from the factory.

diogoguitar

I'm not a race boy, but I'd be down to put the car on a track sometimes. I don't even do drag race on the street. I'm kind of pussy to drive, as I never crashed racing (although I did drop some cones in a large parking lot, which I knew it was safe to push to the limits :) )
If I get the M235i, it will stay 100% stock, other than a limited slip diff from M-performance.

Let's say I'd be driving some twist canyons every weekend and putting the car to safe tracks once in a while. I'm a busy finance manager, so I don't know if i'd be available every week to do some revs.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I'm not a race boy, but I'd be down to put the car on a track sometimes. I don't even do drag race on the street. I'm kind of pussy to drive, as I never crashed racing (although I did drop some cones in a large parking lot, which I knew it was safe to push to the limits :) )
If I get the M235i, it will stay 100% stock, other than a limited slip diff from M-performance.

Let's say I'd be driving some twist canyons every weekend and putting the car to safe tracks once in a while. I'm a busy finance manager, so I don't know if i'd be available every week to do some revs.

Knowing that I say get the M235i. I have driven a 135i/335i (with JB4 tune), and have driven the GT86 twins a few times. While I'm sure you know the GT86 is brilliant fun but it an absolute tin can for regular driving. It's buzzy (Please dear god stay away from the TRD exhaust option), loud inside, cheap (interior material wise), and where it strives the most seems to be the place where you won't be spending too much time at.

A GT86 wants to be raced and a simple coilover, tires, alignment, and some engine bolt-ons make the car seriously quick for lapping. It is a fantastic 10/10's car but below that it is subpar at best. The beauty of it and why people love it is that you can access 10/10's without being at "I'm going to jail" or "If I mess up this corner I will die" speeds. On the street whether it be for weekend fun driving or daily driving the M235i is going to be MILES better. Better place to be, faster, nicer (Not sure if you ever have to drive clients around but that would be a plus too) and will feel at home at a track to boot. I simply don't want to subject another car guy to driving a mundane peasant mobile like the Camry. Drive something fun everyday. M235i has my vote now hands-down.