GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Super rare Blackout Edition

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
How much money can they be saving by not painting the freaking bumpers?

I can't wait to see a Mk8 really torn down and evaluated. We've already seen the hood prop rod instead of a strut - I can only imagine how much cost cutting the bean counters have wreaked on this poor machine. If they're willing to save such a paltry sum on the strut & some paint, imagine what else they might screw up? Oh another example - the AWFUL grab handles on '19 R's, which seem to fail about about an 80% rate. Somebody probably saved 5c apiece by switching vendors. Now they're drowning in warranty claims.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
How much money can they be saving by not painting the freaking bumpers?

I can't wait to see a Mk8 really torn down and evaluated. We've already seen the hood prop rod instead of a strut - I can only imagine how much cost cutting the bean counters have wreaked on this poor machine. If they're willing to save such a paltry sum on the strut & some paint, imagine what else they might screw up? Oh another example - the AWFUL grab handles on '19 R's, which seem to fail about about an 80% rate. Somebody probably saved 5c apiece by switching vendors. Now they're drowning in warranty claims.
To be fair a tone of companies do this for entry level/bare bones vehicles. You see it more so in the work trucks

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
To be fair a tone of companies do this for entry level/bare bones vehicles. You see it more so in the work trucks

The Golf has never been a "bare bones vehicle", certainly not to that extent. And to compare it to a "work truck" merely drives my point home - this is a bean counter's victim, clearly. Gonna be more bad news, no doubt.