GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof 'exploded' today on 2016 GTI. That was fun.

ArcticFoxMN

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI 6MT PP Auto
Actually, I could see using that if you were camping in your car or something. But to put that on your car every time you park.........

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Actually, I could see using that if you were camping in your car or something. But to put that on your car every time you park.........
fk that just make sure its secured and drive around w/ it on...just dont go over 40ish

ArcticFoxMN

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI 6MT PP Auto
UPDATE! You think I am done!!!??? We are closing in on 3 months!

Still making all sorts of noise, driving me absolutely INSANE!!! I mean just annoying as a sharp rock in your shoe. It sounded like either a wire coat hanger in the headliner, or like a Geiger counter. tick tick tick tick tick...non-stop, right next to your head.

I had the glass shop come back out (to my house), take the guy for a ride...AND IT DOESN'T MAKE A SOUND. He leaves, and the next day take the car back out AND IT IS MAKING THE NOISE AGAIN. At that point I considered just reenacting the opening to 'Falling Down' where he just abandons his car on the freeway and walks away...great movie (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/)

Because I am a fighter, instead of crying, I then call the body shop (now the third 100 mile round trip as talked about above) and ask to come in and got for a test drive. Made appointment, and then the glass shop, who was/is handling the insurance claim, actually called me Friday last week and kinda implied I was SOL because the glass guy did not hear the noise on the earlier test drive (he called because the body shop called them for insurance authorization), I told him to pound sand...and in my head hoped to hell the car would make noise on the next test drive because this was my last shot. The appointment was this morning. Get up there, still making the noise on the drive in, the guy hops in, and thank god it was making all sorts of noise on the test drive!!! No question at all something was having a party at/around the sunroof and it was well beyond normal noise. I leave the car there, get a call later and they had the glass shop come out (to the body shop) and pull the glass. Not sure what they found, they said glass, but it sounded more like metal, they kinda dodged the question so maybe a screwdriver!? Anyway, they pull that out, put the glass back in. Glass guy test drives, body shop guy test drives, no noise. HOWEVER, while the glass is back in, the sunroof guy (mobile tech in a van) cannot get the sunroof working properly (out of alignment or something, doesn't work 100% as it should), so I need ANOTHER appointment (thankfully at my house, or a shop 10 minutes away) to resolve that. I do have the car back, on my 25 mile drive home, no noise. Of course I am terrified it could restart, but take it one day at a time.

So, progress...they had issues with the alignment before, and just needed one of the more experienced guys who normally does sunroofs to mess with it.

Oh, and I checked on State Farm. To date they have paid out about $2,500 (meaning the glass was $1,200 so up to $1,300 in labor). JFC...that is 3 years of car insurance, and my windshield replacement a few years ago was about $600 if I recall. At least financially I lucked out there.

So yeah, thanks for listening.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
So... Don't ever option the sunroof, got it.

Thanks for sharing your pain.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
Yeah but you didn't do anything to break it...

I honestly hate the sunroof on my mk6 and made sure to get my mk7 without one

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
What's a PITA is that you get forced into the roof if you want the good audio, leather seats, DCC, etc. It's a whole package deal.
Yep, just like the lighting packages.

Oh you want head lights that actually illuminate the road and don't use lighting tech from the 80s? Welp you're gonna need to upgrade to leather, start stop, lane assist, sun roof..

Like wtf happened to there being 'options'?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Yep, just like the lighting packages.

Oh you want head lights that actually illuminate the road and don't use lighting tech from the 80s? Welp you're gonna need to upgrade to leather, start stop, lane assist, sun roof..

Like wtf happened to there being 'options'?
The good old USA dealership system happened! Seriously, most of Europe has the ability to order their cars how they want with a la cart options because direct sales are allowed. But in America, dealerships have to order cars and resell them to us, so they build to a few limited specs in order meet "the average customer" wants. Even companies like BMW and MB which look like they have individual options available, really don't because they're always bundled. At least VW is transparent about it.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
This thread gave me some nightmares to use the sunroof this past summer, but alas, I did. Not a whole lot but enough. I heard if you don't use it at all and then attempt to, you can end up with issues. More than likely due to the lack of operation and parts/lubricants probably drying up and effecting performance. I dunno but I did open it a few times with no issues.

Though it sounds like operation isn't even the only potential problem here in that you can literally drive and have it explode, lol. Sounds crazy and I didn't specifically get this car because it came with one. As you guys said, with the limited options, it just so happened to include it. I thought to myself, well, I'll just try to never use it if it's that bad...

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
My wife's '17 Golf Wolfsburg and my '21 GTI SE both have sunroofs. We use them all of the time and have had no issues with either one, but given what I've read, I do live with some worry. Time will tell.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
The good old USA dealership system happened! Seriously, most of Europe has the ability to order their cars how they want with a la cart options because direct sales are allowed. But in America, dealerships have to order cars and resell them to us, so they build to a few limited specs in order meet "the average customer" wants. Even companies like BMW and MB which look like they have individual options available, really don't because they're always bundled. At least VW is transparent about it.

You can order a la carte in the US, manufacturers allow it, even VW... you just need to find a dealer that is willing to put in the extra effort. You can also kiss any negotiation power away. Dealers don’t like it because it takes away from their allocations, and often takes months and months to fill the orders.

That’s why you get “No we can’t do that, you need to just pick one of these on the lot or at a near by lot we can trade with.”

American consumers just don’t do it.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
The sunroof blowing out thing is not just a VW thing though let's be clear. It's an industry wide problem due to the ubiquity and design of sunroofs today. People want bigger glass panels on their roof for some reason and those same people also want better gas mileage. Leading to larger, lighter and weaker glass.

It's still fairly rare that this type of blow out thing happens but you know what isn't rare? Clogged sunroof drains ...