GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof Drain Tube

clarusmoof

So I discovered that my sunroof has been leaking ... passenger side front and back floor were soaked and there was a hideous smell! traced the leak to the passenger side drain tube that meets at the front. Question for group is how do I get the tube re-inserted/attached to the tube that runs through the firewall?! I can touch both tubes but seems short and I can't seat the drain tube in far enough to prevent continued leaking! I've gently tried pulling on the "nipple" part up to try and connect but the tube just keeps popping out!

Thanks as always!

clarusmoof

Just wanted to provide an update. So ended up splicing on an extension to the drain tube. I first cut off about 3-4" of the drain tube and I put a 1/2" OD clear tube on the top part of the drain tube and the cut off piece. Doing this I was able to get the drain tube into the drain grommet. Testing I was able to get water to drain with no issue EXCEPT I then sprung a leak at where the A-frame covers the tube. UGH!!! So I'll test again and see if I get the leak again, but this time using cold vs hot water. I may be looking at replacing the drain in the end, which won't be a big deal as I have to replace the headliner fabric any way!

Attachments

• Sunroof Drain Fix.jpg
    Sunroof Drain Fix.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 1,420

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Just wanted to provide an update. So ended up splicing on an extension to the drain tube. I first cut off about 3-4" of the drain tube and I put a 1/2" OD clear tube on the top part of the drain tube and the cut off piece. Doing this I was able to get the drain tube into the drain grommet. Testing I was able to get water to drain with no issue EXCEPT I then sprung a leak at where the A-frame covers the tube. UGH!!! So I'll test again and see if I get the leak again, but this time using cold vs hot water. I may be looking at replacing the drain in the end, which won't be a big deal as I have to replace the headliner fabric any way!

Could you have not used barbed hose fittings to get a tight fit instead of the slip fit

clarusmoof

Well that was an option as well! But now I have to pull the headliner to see if the tubing has detached or needs replacing as the leak where the A frame and room meets is leaking like crazy!

vwengineer

Ready to race!
You don't need to pull the headliner, you can get to the connector just by pulling on the headliner carefully, may need to remove the roof handle and sunvisor though. Also the hose is not connected tightly, this is normal.

I also disconnected it when pulling on it. I also chased a leak but in fact, you cannot pour a lot of water or it will drip inside even if the tube is doing its job because the sunroof rail itself is not waterproof

clarusmoof

Thanks the for the info but I was needing to replace headliner anyway, but this should allow me to delay that repair.

So now my car has a very nasty odor from the water saturated padding/carpet! I've used a wet vac to remove as much water as possible and run a fan an heater to dry it out but the smell persists! Any thoughts on removing the smell?

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Spray some vinegar (could be a 50/50 mix with water), it will kill any mold, then try do dry it as well as you can. It will smell vinegar a bit but the smell will go away