Sunglasses for Driving

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Im rocking Tavat's. I love them for driving but they're pricey at around 600

edrex

Ready to race!
inspired by this thread I picked up some Maui Jim Howzit's from Costco.com for $102 (MSRP on the box says $319). Great clarity and the polarization doesn't affect the screens in my GTI which I was a little worried about.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
inspired by this thread I picked up some Maui Jim Howzit's from Costco.com for $102 (MSRP on the box says $319). Great clarity and the polarization doesn't affect the screens in my GTI which I was a little worried about.
If you clock your head to may 2:00, the screen should disappear. Under normal circumstances, you should be okay.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Oakley GasCan polarized amber lenses.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
So I received some of the Serengeti mineral glass pairs and wow... there is a huge difference in clarity between polycarbonate and glass. Both my old Oakleys and the Serengeti Erice seem hazy compared to the Serengeti's with glass lenses.

Yeah, I just picked up a pair of Matera (large) with polarized driver lenses, and they're definitely much sharper than the poly lenses on my old pair. $165 on Amazon was the best price I could find; a bit more than I was hoping to spend, but I tend to make a lot of impulse purchases when I've got points to cover them. :D

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
ESS Crossbows. Hate having to spend too much money on something like sunglasses for work and home, and the replacement lenses are under $100. Wiley X has worked pretty well in the past as well. Lenses can just be a minor pain to clean on the inside due to the coating.

I've already told my wife I'll probably be looking at a 'normal' pair of sunglasses when I retire. I like the full coverage of the Crossbows but I don't need to look like I'm about to deploy at any moment anymore. I will say the clear lenses that come with them are great for the range as well.

I'll keep tabs on some Maui Jims and the Serenghettis, haven't tried either yet.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Picking up Oakley polarized Wires

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Prescription Ray-Ban Balorama's. Been around since the 1940's. Worn by Squint Eastwood in the early Dirty Harry flicks. Iconic, functional, comfortable. Love them for driving because they wrap around nicely and don't let light in around the sides. Can be ordered with prescription directly from Ray-Ban.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2014 GTI
Someone mentioned Persols in one of the old posts. They aren't cheap, but they are probably the best sunglasses you can buy (arguable, depending on the activities you intend to wear them for, but for driving and not playing sports they definitely get my vote). If you can swing a pair with their polarized lenses you won't want to wear anything else ever again. They are more of a "stylish" sunglass than a "sporty" sunglass, so they aren't necessarily light weight, but the crystal lenses have probably the best optics you can get.