GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunglasses for Driving

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Does anyone have experience with Serengeti brand sunglasses? Look quite nice, cheaper than Oakley, and owned by Bushnell so should be something decent.

I've worn Serengeti for years; in my experience, the Driver's Polarized (glass) lenses are the best. As far as I know, they're the only lenses that are both polarized and photochromic, so they're great for all-day journeys. The downside is glass lenses in metal frames are a bit heavier than the all-polycarbonate shades from other companies, but if you shop around, you'll usually find them in the $100-$150 range. If you're a Costco member, your local store may have a few styles for $70.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I've worn Serengeti for years; in my experience, the Driver's Polarized (glass) lenses are the best. As far as I know, they're the only lenses that are both polarized and photochromic, so they're great for all-day journeys. The downside is glass lenses in metal frames are a bit heavier than the all-polycarbonate shades from other companies, but if you shop around, you'll usually find them in the $100-$150 range. If you're a Costco member, your local store may have a few styles for $70.

I ordered a set of Erice in driver lens. They are plastic lenses so should be lighter. Right at $100

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I ordered a set of Erice in driver lens. They are plastic lenses so should be lighter. Right at $100

I had a set of plastic ones for a while, and now that I think about it, I don't know that there was any real difference, but I end up buying the metal & glass styles for whatever reason, probably because I know they aren't as easy to break. Then again, the only time I've broken a pair of sunglasses (plastic) was when they were in my shirt pocket and my clumsy ass walked into a door.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
$10 two pack of aviators from Walmart

DAS_STIG

Banned
I had a set of plastic ones for a while, and now that I think about it, I don't know that there was any real difference, but I end up buying the metal & glass styles for whatever reason, probably because I know they aren't as easy to break. Then again, the only time I've broken a pair of sunglasses (plastic) was when they were in my shirt pocket and my clumsy ass walked into a door.

My main problem is that I drive north/south a lot right and it's often when the sun is rising/setting. That means it shines on the side of my face and often is in an annoying position where glasses do not block it. With that I am trying to find something a bit more "wrap around" style (base curve 8). There are very few glass lenses that actually have that - I think the only ones I have come across are the Maui Jim Castles. I really like the Serengeti Alghero or Carrara and maybe I will order them to check them out and return if they don't suite me. I like aviator style more than the rectangle like the Erice (plastic) ones I got.

All that being said, I will say the Serengeti Erice are some nice glasses, especially for $100. They feel a bit more plastic/cheap than my Oakley Crosshairs, but I think the Serengeti are also more "sport" sunglasses and weigh less. They are probably better for "sport" requirements. The lenses are great as well and the photochromic system is something I did not know I needed. It is very subtle yet quite effective.

Last edited:

DAS_STIG

Banned

So I received some of the Serengeti mineral glass pairs and wow... there is a huge difference in clarity between polycarbonate and glass. Both my old Oakleys and the Serengeti Erice seem hazy compared to the Serengeti's with glass lenses.

RecycledDonuts

Ready to race!
Oakley Gascan Prism Deep Water Polarized

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DasCayman

I know this thread is a little old but I have polarized Oakley 2 face frames and lenses. Were about 6 years old and scratched. Wife went through customer support for Oakley, mailed them in for repair.. and they sent back a brand new pair - gratis.
I would try out the customer service avenue if you have a pair you really like but need some love.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I know this thread is a little old but I have polarized Oakley 2 face frames and lenses. Were about 6 years old and scratched. Wife went through customer support for Oakley, mailed them in for repair.. and they sent back a brand new pair - gratis.
I would try out the customer service avenue if you have a pair you really like but need some love.

I tried, they told me that they do not have lenses available, but could send me a new pair for $100. I actually ended up settling on Maui Jim Castles. I tried a lot of others - Serengeti, Oakley, cheaper Maui Jims, but nothing stacked up to the Castles. I was really surprised to realize how hazy the plastic lens glasses are after comparing them side by side to glass lenses.

DAS_STIG

Banned
The Maui Jim Castles are very nice and they are (I believe) the last independent sunglass company left...
Good luck with them.

Costa del mar and serengeti are both also not associated with luxaticca as far as I saw. I also found someone selling a 70%off coupon for maui jim on ebay. Ended up getting over $100 off the castles sodefinitely worth it. Would not have purchased them at full price.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Polarized Costa Del Mar 580G lens. They are fishing glasses, but they are EXCELLENT for driving also. One very interesting properly about good polarized glasses is that they will help you see THROUGH heavy daytime showers. Was wearing a pair when it was downpouring in florida last year. Took my costas off because it was getting a little dark cuz of storm clouds. As soon as I took the glasses off, I could NOT SEE 10 feet in front of me because of the water coming down. Put the glasses back on and I was able to see much better. The contrast and antiglare characteristics of the 580Gs are excellent also.