GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Sunglasses for Driving

DAS_STIG

Banned
Looks like this place might have replacement lenses: https://www.fuselenses.com/oakley/crosshair-2012.html

I've currently got polarized Ray Ban's in both cars and I picked up a some Italian made polarized Bolle for dirt cheap at Costco for beaters years ago.
I saw Fuse as well. Revant Optics seemed to be the most highly rated of those non-OEM lens replacement companies for optical quality that's why I went with them. Sucks their lens does not fit. I may try them again hoping that it was a defective set I got the first time now that Oakley said they do not have lenses available to send me.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Wow, we used to always buy Luxottica glasses. You probably know they own something like 90% of the "premium" brands, like Ray-Ban. Then I wised up. A few hundred per pair for Rx, polarized, etc. Then I noticed Walmart sells the other name-brand suns for 1/3 the price, and they last just as long as the expensive one.

I went to replace the ones I bought from Walmart but not all stores carry the frames, so I looked on the manufacturer's website. The frames alone for non-Rx polarized suns retail for over $300 from any of their "authorized" dealers. Walmart sells them for $80.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Wow, we used to always buy Luxottica glasses. You probably know they own something like 90% of the "premium" brands, like Ray-Ban. Then I wised up. A few hundred per pair for Rx, polarized, etc. Then I noticed Walmart sells the other name-brand suns for 1/3 the price, and they last just as long as the expensive one.

I went to replace the ones I bought from Walmart but not all stores carry the frames, so I looked on the manufacturer's website. The frames alone for non-Rx polarized suns retail for over $300 from any of their "authorized" dealers. Walmart sells them for $80.
Yes, you can buy decent sunglasses for less than $150 and that's what I was hoping some folks would have recommendations on. Oakley's definitely have a nice lens that is levels above your standard grocery store rack brand.

Maui Jim is not owned by Luxottica and that's probably one of the main reasons I am leaning toward them.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Yes, you can buy decent sunglasses for less than $150 and that's what I was hoping some folks would have recommendations on. Oakley's definitely have a nice lens that is levels above your standard grocery store rack brand.

Maui Jim is not owned by Luxottica and that's probably one of the main reasons I am leaning toward them.
Honestly, I've had a random $20 polarized pair from Amazon last 6 years, and the lenses were pretty much similar to the Oakley I have (mentioned in my previous post).

Now if we're talking about glass vs plastic lenses (which my Oakley has), then clarity would likely be different.

Edit: I personally don't like Oakley's PRIZM lenses. I tried a few variants and found the enhanced colors to be a bit much. My eyes are sensitive, though.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mopar22

Go Kart Newbie

That's the exact reason i went with wiley over oakley. Plus they give military members and veterans discounts wile being privately owner by a veteran

DAS_STIG

Banned
Does anyone have experience with Serengeti brand sunglasses? Look quite nice, cheaper than Oakley, and owned by Bushnell so should be something decent.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I ordered a set of Serengeti Erice sunglasses. Everything I am finding gives Serengeti really high ratings. They were only $100 so way cheaper than the Luxoticca brands and even equivalent Maui Jim.

Shane_Anigans

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone have experience with Serengeti brand sunglasses? Look quite nice, cheaper than Oakley, and owned by Bushnell so should be something decent.

I've worn Serengeti for years; in my experience, the Driver's Polarized (glass) lenses are the best. As far as I know, they're the only lenses that are both polarized and photochromic, so they're great for all-day journeys. The downside is glass lenses in metal frames are a bit heavier than the all-polycarbonate shades from other companies, but if you shop around, you'll usually find them in the $100-$150 range. If you're a Costco member, your local store may have a few styles for $70.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I've worn Serengeti for years; in my experience, the Driver's Polarized (glass) lenses are the best. As far as I know, they're the only lenses that are both polarized and photochromic, so they're great for all-day journeys. The downside is glass lenses in metal frames are a bit heavier than the all-polycarbonate shades from other companies, but if you shop around, you'll usually find them in the $100-$150 range. If you're a Costco member, your local store may have a few styles for $70.
I ordered a set of Erice in driver lens. They are plastic lenses so should be lighter. Right at $100

Shane_Anigans

Go Kart Champion
I ordered a set of Erice in driver lens. They are plastic lenses so should be lighter. Right at $100

I had a set of plastic ones for a while, and now that I think about it, I don't know that there was any real difference, but I end up buying the metal & glass styles for whatever reason, probably because I know they aren't as easy to break. Then again, the only time I've broken a pair of sunglasses (plastic) was when they were in my shirt pocket and my clumsy ass walked into a door.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I had a set of plastic ones for a while, and now that I think about it, I don't know that there was any real difference, but I end up buying the metal & glass styles for whatever reason, probably because I know they aren't as easy to break. Then again, the only time I've broken a pair of sunglasses (plastic) was when they were in my shirt pocket and my clumsy ass walked into a door.
My main problem is that I drive north/south a lot right and it's often when the sun is rising/setting. That means it shines on the side of my face and often is in an annoying position where glasses do not block it. With that I am trying to find something a bit more "wrap around" style (base curve 8). There are very few glass lenses that actually have that - I think the only ones I have come across are the Maui Jim Castles. I really like the Serengeti Alghero or Carrara and maybe I will order them to check them out and return if they don't suite me. I like aviator style more than the rectangle like the Erice (plastic) ones I got.

All that being said, I will say the Serengeti Erice are some nice glasses, especially for $100. They feel a bit more plastic/cheap than my Oakley Crosshairs, but I think the Serengeti are also more "sport" sunglasses and weigh less. They are probably better for "sport" requirements. The lenses are great as well and the photochromic system is something I did not know I needed. It is very subtle yet quite effective.

Last edited:

DAS_STIG

Banned
So I received some of the Serengeti mineral glass pairs and wow... there is a huge difference in clarity between polycarbonate and glass. Both my old Oakleys and the Serengeti Erice seem hazy compared to the Serengeti's with glass lenses.