GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

sucked up water

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Mine drove for about a week, every day, before letting loose. I had a funky vibration in the clutch pedal before it did. But it drove fine. It was like a tick tick tick, each crank rotation, varying with RPM. Like tapping the backside of the pedal with a wooden dowel rod. The initial damage did feel impactful, in my case though. It stopped the engine dead in it's tracks. The engine seized momentarily, due to the water pressure in the cylinder. But it started later on (after pulling the plugs and running the starter with no spark or fuel for a while, and later ran OK for a few days. With a complete stop, at hydrolock, like mine, I'd do a teardown in a heartbeat, to save/reduce the catastrophic damage. But a little water in the intake tract... I'd run it cautiously, and see what it does.

I agree that you will want to check it out. I just can't think of a better way than a teardown. And the cost and time involved is very high.

Yeah nothing was that catastrophic no shut down or vibrations or weird noises until i tried to boost. I ran it again after the post and it seemed to idle a little bit better and revved to 3k nicely. Still afraid to do anything more than that really.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
That's the problem with stuff like this, there is no sensor or system in place to tell you how rods and valvetrain are doing. Only thing I can think of would be to perform a compression test. Theoretically, a bent rod won't allow the piston to travel as far and would equate to lower compression in a cylinder with a bent rod. Something to consider and a fairly easy test to perform. Like so many others, I wish you were closer so i could physically help you out with this.

I know what you mean about the paranoia with the injector tick, I go weeks without driving my car (months when winter hits) and I always feel like it's louder ot there's a new noise. Drives me nuts, but thenI say screw it and just drive it. But mine is not my daily.

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
That's the problem with stuff like this, there is no sensor or system in place to tell you how rods and valvetrain are doing. Only thing I can think of would be to perform a compression test. Theoretically, a bent rod won't allow the piston to travel as far and would equate to lower compression in a cylinder with a bent rod. Something to consider and a fairly easy test to perform. Like so many others, I wish you were closer so i could physically help you out with this.

I know what you mean about the paranoia with the injector tick, I go weeks without driving my car (months when winter hits) and I always feel like it's louder ot there's a new noise. Drives me nuts, but thenI say screw it and just drive it. But mine is not my daily.

Yeah sucks that this happened. How ever the car seems to be fine drives fine have t been full Throttle yet but should be ok... Now that I drove a new wrx yesterday I might just sell the car :( no room at the house to keep for a project car and maybe thinking about just getting a new car and leaving it stock for a while.. No head aches lol

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
So the Car works great no problems at all, seems like i dodged a huge bullet !! the wrx was nice and all but my car is just so much faster, I could never sell it after driving it yesterday plus no monthly payment is very nice . Thanks for the help/advice ! time to continue building it :)

michail77

Go Kart Champion
I think sometimes we get oversensitive when things happen but I've gotten to the point where I think I can hear how much oil I have, lol.

If one has comprehensive wouldn't it be better to just see if it fails before taking the engine apart? The deductible could wind up costing less.