GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Subframe locking collars - TyrolSport vs ECS

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Any particular reason the TyrolSport Deadset locking collar kit is worth 100% more than ECS version? I realize the ECS kit is aluminum collara and OEM bolts compared to brass collars and ARP bolts for TyrolSPort...but $112 vs $225?

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
I would advise against buying any performance parts branded ECS. They are a drop ship company that sells an assortment of parts, not a company who specializes in development and testing of quality aftermarket components. Have the front/rear dead set kit from TyrolSport myself and it is awesome. Just make sure you use all new bolts for the subframe when you do it. It's a pita to get everything squared up since the kit is designed to get rid of the slop on the subframe, but it's doable.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Different materials. Are you building a race car or is this your daily? That would drive my decision. I wouldn't hesitate to use the ECS kit, but I'm not running collars either.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Different materials. Are you building a race car or is this your daily? That would drive my decision. I wouldn't hesitate to use the ECS kit, but I'm not running collars either.

Pure DD. I've had some mild clunks commonly when pulling out of my garage for years and just never bothered to do anything about it. I recently decided to keep the car for a while longer so looking to address a few minor issues and refresh some bits and pieces. I ended up buying the ECS kit because I can't see how you could fuck this up without really trying.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Just install the subframe correctly.
Use new bolts. Tighten as it is written in the ELSA.
I'm having a clutch replacement done so will have these installed at the same time so I don't have to fvck with it.

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
It's a pita to get everything squared up since the kit is designed to get rid of the slop on the subframe, but it's doable.

You're not wrong. I fitted the TyrolSport kit on axle stands and at one point I wondered if the subframe would ever go back up again. I guess that's why VW fitted skinny bolts into big holes. Considerably easier and faster assembly. Same deal with some Hondas actually, most notably the S2000.

Another unsung benefit of these collar kits is the geometry doesn't change when doing subsequent repairs under there. Swap out dampers and top mounts, console bushes etc and you're good to go. No realignment needed.