GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strut tower cut-off for camber adjustment

flip7

Ready to race!
Are there any cons for cutting off the top of the strut tower on a MK7 GTI 6MT?

I am going to install ST XTA coilovers soon (front camber adjustable), and some forum users indicate that cutting those tower top off should not affect anything.

Unless I cut those off there is no access to camber adjustments once coilovers mounted on the car.

Anyone who cut those and ran into any issues?

RopeJumper13

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
While I wouldn't do it personally. Its been done on others, just don't go overboard with the cutting.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Functionally it's fine to do so. The only con is your resale value goes down. Too bad Vorschlag doesn't make a camber plate for mk7's yet. I have those on my mk6 and you can adjust them from the bottom without cutting anything.
Vorshlag does. they've been available for a year or so. here are mine.

They adjust at the top. I use a mirror to see the marks.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
The only con is your resale value goes down.

You think so? The strut towers are pretty well hidden under the plastic shroud. My top hats are cut and I have to look closely to see my bright red Vorshlag plates.

ubersick

Ready to race!
Bump! I'm wanting to see if anyone else has had any other solutions/experience. I'm debating on whether to cut my towers as I need to access the camber plates on my coils but I'd need to remove the coilover to add a bit more camber and then get the car aligned.

Any additional help/suggestions are appreciated!

ubersick

Ready to race!
I holesawed mine to 2" as I can get 2" sheet metal plastic plugs like the stock ones.

thank you for the info! What kind of coilers do you have?

It looks like I might have to cut it if I don't want to take the whole coilover off to adjust the plates :mad:

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
thank you for the info! What kind of coilers do you have?

It looks like I might have to cut it if I don't want to take the whole coilover off to adjust the plates :mad:

Stock DCC struts with 034 camber plates. I was tired of having to drop the strut to tighten the nut. Bear in mind my buddy with GC plates even after cutting literally the entire top off made no camber improvements due to how the plates were designed.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Stock DCC struts with 034 camber plates. I was tired of having to drop the strut to tighten the nut. Bear in mind my buddy with GC plates even after cutting literally the entire top off made no camber improvements due to how the plates were designed.

Why did you need to retighten the upper strut nut after it was assembled? I am getting some noise up front that I believe is from that area, but I didn't think it was that nut.

ubersick

Ready to race!
This is why u was asking (I apologize for the dirty tower)
You can see the adjustment screws deep in the back and not easily accessible

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Why did you need to retighten the upper strut nut after it was assembled? I am getting some noise up front that I believe is from that area, but I didn't think it was that nut.

People have told me the rubber puck compresses over time and require re-tightening otherwise it starts to rattle. I had initially thought the nut backs off (hence the serrated Nordlock washer) but if it is the rubber that compresses, the washer does nothing.

Basically since the nut needs snugging down periodically, this just allows easier access without dropping the strut.