GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

strong gasoline smell inside car

o6RSGTI

Ready to race!
when i turn the heat on i get this strong gasoline smell. I looked under the hood and under the car there are no signs of leakage that i can see. i haven't been driving the car much the last few weeks about 100 miles a week.

06 FSI GTi 54k miles.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Are you running an upgraded HPFP? If you are, chances are your internal seal is bad and it's leaking gas into your oil. NOT GOOD. It won't hurt much short term but can do major damage if you leave it that way. Definitely check your cam follower and also while you're at it, check the HPFP for leaking. You'll know if it's leaking by seeing how the oil looks and especially smells around your piston/spring/retainer area of the HPFP.

Have you noticed any ticking in your engine bay besides the usual direct injection diesel(ish) sound? If you have, that's a sure sign that your HPFP's internal seal is probably shot.

I know because this happened to me.

jjakimetz

Ready to race!
Are you running an upgraded HPFP? If you are, chances are your internal seal is bad and it's leaking gas into your oil. NOT GOOD. It won't hurt much short term but can do major damage if you leave it that way. Definitely check your cam follower and also while you're at it, check the HPFP for leaking. You'll know if it's leaking by seeing how the oil looks and especially smells around your piston/spring/retainer area of the HPFP.

Have you noticed any ticking in your engine bay besides the usual direct injection diesel(ish) sound? If you have, that's a sure sign that your HPFP's internal seal is probably shot.

I know because this happened to me.

This is good to know.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
look under the rear seat, make sure nothing is leaking from the LPFP

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
is there extended warranty on that?
they told me it's gonna be $1300

Oh, I dont know I was just asking. But, are they saying the Fuel pressure regulator needs replacing? Because that's part of the fuel filter.. And between that and a new HPFP/cam follower, it's a really DIY.. I wouldn't hand 1300 over to the dealer just yet.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
He's talking about the high pressure sensor that's actually attached to the HPFP itself. There's two on there, a low pressure (the one on top) and a high pressure one (commonly referred to as the thrust sensor). Usually when you install a new HPFP you install a new one of those too. It just unscrews and you screw a new one on.

I'm pretty pleasantly surprised how dead on my diagnoses was. Although I'm not happy for the OP because I've been in this situation and it sucks balls.

OP, you can fix this yourself. It's literally T30 torx bolts, 2 electrical connectors, a hose clamp and a 17mm wrench to remove the high pressure line from the OEM HPFP. If you've checked a cam follower you can do this repair. If not, then look up some DIY's on how to do it.

You'll need to replace the fuel pump which is roughly $300 and the thrust sensor which is around $50 if I recall correctly. You can get both off ECS or even cheaper if you search around. For the thrust sensor, when you get the new HPFP you'll see that it just screws into it. There will be a threaded hole for it right on the HPFP. You may have to take some hardware off your old HPFP but other than that, you're all set. It's really not that hard of a job to do.

Best of luck, I know how much of a pain in the ass all this HPFP nonsense can be.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Ah I see. Yeah, OP, there are quite a few detailed DIY's that you can follow. You can save close to a grand if you do this yourself, and it's an extremely simple job. Just make sure you have all the right tools!

The hpfp has no warranty extension on failure of seals of any kind. The extension is just for cam/follower wear and only applies if there are the codes stored in the ecm.

I am confused, the Rail pressure sensor is on the rail (G247), the fuel pressure regulator is the frv, the low pressure sensor is on the hpfp on the left side and the top is the solenoid.

If the sensor is leaking it could be stripped. 1300 is too steep and i work at a dealer.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
He's talking about the high pressure sensor that's actually attached to the HPFP itself. There's two on there, a low pressure (the one on top) and a high pressure one (commonly referred to as the thrust sensor).
This information is inaccurate.
On top is the fuel pressure regulator valve (N276) for regulating the rail/high pressure.
The sensor on the side of the HPFP, also known as the Thrust sensor, is the low pressure sensor(G410).

The high pressure sensor is mounted on the fuel rail(G247).
Here's a pdf with more...including the fuel system: http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_337.pdf

Last edited: