GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Racing Tales

Should GolfMkV.com disallow street racing threads?

• Yes

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 54 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scotaku

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Kirk, do you think you could keep it to one topic, please? Either that or just quickly play your Hitler card so we can tap you out.

There was no epiphany that led me to repeatedly suggest to JJ and Gulfer that -they- take a stance with the board they admin. I found the place to stretch my cars legs and have been doing it since before the GTI so kindly stop inferring that's what I bought the car for... or anyone else for that matter. The subject is whether or not to allow, and thereby encourage, kill stories and other tall tales that offer no less equally zero value to the forum. Search my handle. What do I post when I start a thread? Mostly helpful stuff, I hope the critics will agree.

It is not my intention to rob anyone of their Free Speech or right to express themselves in a positive way. I'm suggesting the community big the bigger drivers when it comes to these traffci light challenges of manhood. if anything, I'm trying to encourage all of you to be the example for others to follow... instead of the fool wasting his energy and attracting undue attention to himself.

For the record, that was me. I was the fool, as I said above. I've paid for it in a variety of ways (tickets, fines, restricted driving privileges, damage to public property) and I've been lucky enough to have survived it to share my experience today.

As for my definition of "street racing" I think it's obvious, but I'll elaborate since it seems to be in question. On a public street, not closed from pedestrian nor uninvolved parties, a contest of speed by one or more vehicles where the speed limit is hardly a suggestion. Good enough?

No, I don't peel away from traffic lights any longer. That's "jackrabbit" starting and it dents my fuel economy. I run premium like the car requires and at $3 a gallon already, I want the stuff to go the distance. I won't "roll off" against another car moving next to me either to see who can accelerate faster. I agree that speeding is often the safest way to operate a vehicle when in an appreciable amount of traffic where driving the posted limit would make my car a hazard. The GTI does that nicely. With a little patience and keeping my eyes up, there really hasn't been a need to go significantly faster than anyone around me even if all of us are breaking the limit. Why samsh it and drive up someone's tailpipe just because the car can? To prove to that Civic Si that my car is better no matter what the magazines say? I've already proven that putting my signature on paper with VW.

You proponents could do yourselves a favor by posting why your stories should be posted instead of trying to tag me as a fascist out to steal your freedom. What good does you telling me that you whooped some ricer do whether I read it or not? It's okay if your answer is, "it strokes my ego," as long as it's honest.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Scotaku said:
and thereby encourage, kill stories........What good does you telling me that you whooped some ricer do.
Boy do I love the way you try to manhandle what some would call "conversation control" with words such as "kill stories" and "what good does you telling me..."
For one, I don't call nor would I ever consider them kill stories. Secondly, no ones telling you their race story. DON'T READ THE THREAD! It's that simple. This thread has already been the subject of more controversy than any racing thread I have ever read on this forum. I know you meant well....really I do.

Last edited:

davesee

FIA GT Champion
ok, I am interested in others adventures. I am sure alot of others are too. (at least that is what the votes are currently showing)

I feel they do add value to the forum because I enjoy reading them. If you were to ask me 10 minutes after reading a "kill thread" who posted it, I wouldnt even remember - so I don't think its most peoples intention to "prove their manhood".

One of my most enjoyable things to do is "jackrabbit starting". I accellerate fast, then ease up around the speed limit (and I don't do this every light, nor to prove my manhood) Its not my intention to go racing through traffic ignoring the speed limit. My previous posts were simply responding to a particular comment that I should be in jail.

I do agree with some of what has been said by scotaku, but just please don't sling around harsh comments.

Summary:
We should be "bigger drivers" - I agree
Kill threads are "useless" - I disagree
(Clearly untrue) kill threads are "useless" - I agree

Here's Johnny

Drag Racing Champion
davesee said:
ok, I am interested in others adventures. I am sure alot of others are too. (at least that is what the votes are currently showing)

I feel they do add value to the forum because I enjoy reading them. If you were to ask me 10 minutes after reading a "kill thread" who posted it, I wouldnt even remember - so I don't think its most peoples intention to "prove their manhood".

One of my most enjoyable things to do is "jackrabbit starting". I accellerate fast, then ease up around the speed limit (and I don't do this every light, nor to prove my manhood) Its not my intention to go racing through traffic ignoring the speed limit. My previous posts were simply responding to a particular comment that I should be in jail.

I do agree with some of what has been said by scotaku, but just please don't sling around harsh comments.

Summary:
We should be "bigger drivers" - I agree
Kill threads are "useless" - I disagree
(Clearly untrue) kill threads are "useless" - I agree

Good sum up:respekt:

Scotaku

kirk180 said:
Boy do I love the way you try to manhandle what some would call "conversation control" with words such as "kill stories" and "what good does you telling me..."
For one, I don't call nor would I ever consider them kill stories. Secondly, no ones telling you their race story. DON'T READ THE THREAD! It's that simple. This thread has already been the subject of more controversy than any racing thread I have ever read on this forum. I know you meant well....really I do.

You forgot "whether I read it or not" but that's okay. Your point that it does no good is taken. :iono:

Scotaku

davesee said:

Then why do you think they post them? For your entertainment? It'd be easier to believe some bone stock GTI with it's transport spacers still on the springs and a tank full of the cheap stuff because Mom only gave me $20 went out and wasted an F430 whose driver was clearly just in it for the chicks. Seriously, post the added value of "adventures" in law breaking and convince me I'm wrong here.

davesee said:

If you're driving like most people around you, including burning your fuel (emphasis, mine) then we're in agreement that you're not "street racing." Pulling away from a light with gusto wasn't in question nor suggested as the jailable offense; your constabulary may disagree but that isn't the kind of thread I'm suggesting we frown upon. Instead, driving well beyond the limits, by yourself or in some theoretical/actual pinkslip/cash/ego "street race" with another driver, with no regard for safety... that's the kind of crap I'm suggesting we actively discourage. And sorry but no, harsh as it may be I won't back off my belief that those Fast n Furious jokers belong in jail. Fines and points aren't curing the problem. A forum where responsible owners of fast whips check the kiddies of their immortality just might help though.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
You just dont let up do you? No matter how civilized anyone tries to be, you just gotta prove em wrong huh?

Oh well. No matter, your opinion is your opinion. Mine is mine.

In response to your question: have you ever thought that the reason someone would post a "kill thread" is because theyre impressed and proud of the performance of their gti? And maybe they want to share it with other proud gti owners/enthusiasts...? That would be the entire reason I would post such a thing.

I'm really done arguing with you, I'd rather browse the forum and lend assistance where i can, and read "kill threads" if available

Scotaku

How is waiting for an answer not letting up or denying you your opinion? Thank you for actually answering one of my questions.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I don't condone it and it is out there and some of us have done it at one time or another. Some of the stories are really fun to read how others want to show off.
I wouldn't shut anyone out for talking about it or posting. Kids will be kids... that's just how life is. If you don't like reading it... just click into another forum or post, that's what I do.

I just don't want to see this place become another Vortex. It gets down right ugly over there and they love to ban & lock threads over the dumbest of stuff.
Let's just get along the best we can and support this fine site we have.

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
If scotaku is offended by anybodys stories or speech, maybe he should not look at the posts. Everybody has opinions, Including him. Whats imature to some might not be to others , thats his opinion, NOT MINE!!!! This is supposed to be a site about peoples experiences and information they have about the MKV. Not about judgeing other people. If this site offends you , I mean YOUR SITE, then make like a tree and leaf!!!!!

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
But street racing will void your warranty:laugh: :tongue: :wink:

and your DL for sure:biggrin:

tydale3 said:
If scotaku is offended by anybodys stories or speech, maybe he should not look at the posts. Everybody has opinions, Including him. Whats imature to some might not be to others , thats his opinion, NOT MINE!!!! This is supposed to be a site about peoples experiences and information they have about the MKV. Not about judgeing other people. If this site offends you , I mean YOUR SITE, then make like a tree and leaf!!!!!

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
agreed on most parts, but truely, this deal might extend to other threads as well. For example when you and i discussing which chip is better, this kid might jump in say how he blew the doors of an "Car A" with his chip and mess up the whole integrity of the topic. So street racing is illegal and supporting/enjoying/discussing/speculating in any extend is immature. In the name of keeping this place clean, we should not tolerate any form of illegal street racing. That is my $0.02:wink:

Wild Hare said:
I don't condone it and it is out there and some of us have done it at one time or another. Some of the stories are really fun to read how others want to show off.
I wouldn't shut anyone out for talking about it or posting. Kids will be kids... that's just how life is. If you don't like reading it... just click into another forum or post, that's what I do.

I just don't want to see this place become another Vortex. It gets down right ugly over there and they love to ban & lock threads over the dumbest of stuff.
Let's just get along the best we can and support this fine site we have.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
scuderiavw said:
But street racing will void your warranty:laugh: :tongue: :wink:

and your DL for sure:biggrin:
But that's HIS warranty and HIS "DL" to worry about. We can't honestly expect to change human nature can we? Good thing this site isn't yours and they have given us the liberty to say what we want. As Wildhare said "Kids will be kids". I probably shouldn't have even posted here again. But man, just let people be themselves. :thumbsup:

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
Well, you do not know the humor behind that post:wink:

kirk180 said:
But that's HIS warranty and HIS "DL" to worry about. We can't honestly expect to change human nature can we? Good thing this site isn't yours and they have given us the liberty to say what we want. As Wildhare said "Kids will be kids". I probably shouldn't have even posted here again. But man, just let people be themselves. :thumbsup: