GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Racing Tales

Should GolfMkV.com disallow street racing threads?

• Yes

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 54 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

davesee

FIA GT Champion
Scotaku said:
Why limit explicit content then? Ahem.

Here's hoping you street racers get what you deserve. Jail time.

Take it easy man!! wow, some serious mean-ness..

I like to accelerate fast, usually right when the light turns green. And, alot of the time there is another car next to me. You're trying to tell me that you have never done this?

I didnt say that I am going over the speed limit here..

Do I deserve jail time?

Here's Johnny

Drag Racing Champion
What is your definition of 'street racer'? Someone who races someone from a light and lets off 5-10 MPH over the speed limit or people who race to 120-130 MPH? I believe most of the people on this forum do the fore, not the latter because most of the members on this forum are smarter than that.

I race from stoplights to 10 MPH over all the time. Should I go to jail for having alittle fun? I have run my car up to 120 MPH on a deserted road in the middle of the night, the only life in peril is mine, no one elses. In that way I accept the responsibilties that go with this, but it is no more different than my friend who doesn't have a license plate on his bike, goes 30 MPH over the limit and runs from the cops daily.

If you look at my sig, I have trained in a dangerous line of work, should I not be able to post it because people can die, or become extremly hurt?

definetely seeing both ends of the spectrum on this post.

if you dont want to read it dont read it.
it isnt as if the forum is overflowing with street racing stories as of yet.

Shovels said:
...So if this forum decides to allow it then for those of us who disagree we can always post elsewhere.
:clap:

once again dont read it, and dont forget this is the best forum out there.

mods... for the most part should be used to help keep things on topic, not tell you what you can read and cant.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Scotaku said:
Why limit explicit content then? Ahem.

Here's hoping you street racers get what you deserve. Jail time.

Explicit content (as in racist, sexist etc...) serves only a negative purpose. Other content, regardless of the tone it's written in can be taken as cautionary or informative.

:headbang:

PS: Scot, don't get so emo.

Scotaku

FIA World Rally Car Champion
No emotion here other than the desire to see law breakers get their just desserts. No life other than your own doing 120+ in the middle of nowhere? Prove to me there is absolutely no chance you'll fly past a stranded motorist. Prove to me you won't nail him as he's flagging you down at 2am. You can't. There is a safe place to do those speeds and they're called closed courses. Anyone whom has truly trained for danger knows better. And yeah, you deserve jailtime for wreckless driving despite what you may think you're risking. And while we're at it, just what was you motivation for sharing your tale here? Proving your point by speeding?

This poll was started as an opportunity for the community to express itself and choose to set a better example of respecting the speed limits. Of demonstrating self control over the 'fast' that lives in us. Mine happens to reside in my right foot. But, like I take my dogs to an off-leash park, I've tamed mine and will take her (she's a she) to the place she can be safely let loose. Thankfully I outgrew the need to assert my manifest destiny over every other driver at every other red light. My mileage and reliability have multiplied for it and the local judges no longer recognize me from the gallery. I was the fool many of you are now but I am not content to not set myself up as an example. It's too bad my mistakes seem lost to those determined to repeat them.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
I guess I'm going to jail, just because I like to take off fast. i heard the food was bad :frown:

Scotaku, you're trying to tell everyone here that you haven't broke any laws (no matter how minor) since your so called epiphany of no more "street racing"? And why do I have this feeling that you're gonna say, "Sure, I don't brake ANY laws - I'm COMPLETELY innocent". :bellyroll:

I may sound like an a$$ here, but I really don't appreciate being called a fool.

I think this post is pointless to have now because its just going to become a big argument that will solve nothing.

car

Autocross Champion
Hmm...the main flaw with this thread is that we aren't all operating off of the same definition of "street racing." Sure, I think (as, I would imagine, most people do) that racing another vehicle amidst traffic is stupid, but as someone else has outlined, is going 5-10 mph over the speed limit from a traffic light "racing?" How about going through a section of twisties on a highway and taking suggested 25 mph curves at 40-50? Racing?
Not to single you out, Scataku, because I think you definitley raise very important points (and several I agree with), but are you saying you never speed in your GTI except for at the track? I do. I'm almost constantly speeding behind the wheel of my GTI, but never if I start to feel like I'm losing control of the situation. Really, if you want to talk about driving "safe," sometimes you MUST speed to stay with the flow of traffic, otherwise you'll be the one creating an unsafe situation.
For those of you who admit to having street raced in the past but now preach to others about how you shouldn't do it, do you think you sound anything but hypocritical?
For the record, no, I don't race, but yes, I do drive my car like I think it was intended to be driven.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
car said:
Hmm...the main flaw with this thread is that we aren't all operating off of the same definition of "street racing." Sure, I think (as, I would imagine, most people do) that racing another vehicle amidst traffic is stupid, but as someone else has outlined, is going 5-10 mph over the speed limit from a traffic light "racing?" How about going through a section of twisties on a highway and taking suggested 25 mph curves at 40-50? Racing?
Not to single you out, Scataku, because I think you definitley raise very important points (and several I agree with), but are you saying you never speed in your GTI except for at the track? I do. I'm almost constantly speeding behind the wheel of my GTI, but never if I start to feel like I'm losing control of the situation. Really, if you want to talk about driving "safe," sometimes you MUST speed to stay with the flow of traffic, otherwise you'll be the one creating an unsafe situation.
For those of you who admit to having street raced in the past but now preach to others about how you shouldn't do it, do you think you sound anything but hypocritical?
For the record, no, I don't race, but yes, I do drive my car like I think it was intended to be driven.

now thats an intelligent post regarding this topic, very good points indeed.

Gulfer

Administrator
Staff member
Car(s)
Nothing
Please debate this topic without making personal insults. This isn't fox news channel. Thanks!

MichaelM

Ready to race!
There are smaller airports offering their runways for drag races sometimes.
This is the only kind of "street racing" i can appreciate as it is safe because it's just straight with nobody standing next to it (As you can watch the race from apron/terminal/tower).

Sure, accidents happen even in probably "safe" situations and unprofessional racing often kills people, but I think you have the right to speak about it as long as you do not spam the whole forum.

car's point are really true, I do absoloutely agree on them and, for the record, I do not race as here in Germany, you read dead records of normal civil drivers nearly everyday and you actually lose your licence to fast to try to drive too fast.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
who are you refering to when you say:

" Prove to me there is absolutely no chance you'll fly past a stranded motorist. Prove to me you won't nail him as he's flagging you down at 2am. You can't. There is a safe place to do those speeds and they're called closed courses. Anyone whom has truly trained for danger knows better. And yeah, you deserve jailtime for wreckless driving despite what you may think you're risking. And while we're at it, just what was you motivation for sharing your tale here? Proving your point by speeding?"

who is the you in this story... because i know your not talking about me.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
davesee said:
I think this post is pointless to have now because its just going to become a big argument that will solve nothing.
This whole thread has been pointless since it started. That's why I jumped on the side of letting people say what they want. There always has been and always will be street racing. I don't really do it. But I do speed and so do most of the people who bought this car. People buy it to perform. I'm just glad that the polls are in our favor. Goodness gracious.
P.S. I got another good idea, how about we not be allowed to talk about abortion, politics, religion, or anything for that matter in the off topic section. I want to make a rule too.

:burnrubber: :burnrubber:

Here's Johnny

Drag Racing Champion
Scotaku said:
This poll was started as an opportunity for the community to express itself and choose to set a better example of respecting the speed limits.

HotLanta he was talking to me. This poll is set up with the clear question of should this forum allow street racing stories? Yet you say its a way to set a better example, so whats the point of even asking?

Some are expressing they would like it, some arn't. And yes Scot you can throw all the hypotheticals at me but it won't change the fact I did 120 at two in the morning. I normally don't race from a roll, just from redlight to redlight, for fun.