GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

stock pre-cat busts out of DP flange

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
so, i was visiting family in the socal desert (plus doing my own things in L.A.) when on a drive in the desert east of palm springs, the front cat just shoots out of the bolt up downpipe flange to the turbo hotside. weirdest sh*t i've ever heard/seen happen. I assume that section was only tack welded to the flange a few spots from the factory? anyways, rather then getting a remanufacture from a dealer for 1100, or waiting to find a used one for 200, a local muffler shop took the pipe off and back-welded the flange back on for 2hrs labor ($160).
with an open hotside for a bit, the spool sound was nice cruising, kinda sounded diesel, but when I get on it, it was sooo f**king loud and accelerated quick it scared the sh*t out of rich people in palm desert lol. but it was annoying & fuel smell and stuff wasnt having it for very long.

08EmKayFive

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 gti
Lol that's what I have to deal with every day being straight piped, honestly already got use to it! Doesn't even seem that loud anymore

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Lol that's what I have to deal with every day being straight piped, honestly already got use to it! Doesn't even seem that loud anymore

well yer talking about straight pipe all the way out the back right? this was dumped in the engine bay near the firewall/bulkhead lol, allot different then open downpipe even. open hotside bypassed both cats, o2 sensors & all the pipes.

08EmKayFive

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 gti
Ohhh, you should of recorded it! must of sounded like a tractor on steroids lol

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You should've just got them to weld a 90 deg bend and run it up through a hole in your hood.

Who would do such a thing!?!! Oh wait, there's a thread on that...

LMGTFY:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176512