GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stiffened but not lowered

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Need some help guys... I want to get my suspension stiffened slightly (not jaw-shatteringly so, but just a bit tighter) but without dropping the car much if at all. I've been looking at the Eibach Pro-Kit springs since they'd seem to fulfil my purpose, but I'm not sure... Any advice?

Kurupt

low
Car(s)
Jeep
eibach prokit is a real good choice. you can keep stock shocks if u use them. plus it gives a 1.2" drop and thats really nice!

Kurupt

low
Car(s)
Jeep
true his is lower than NA gti so that might cause some problems but they will most likely be only present after a long time

Accel

Rally Car Champion
GTI2007 said:
But his car already is 0.9" lower then the NA GTI so calculated would that make a possible lowering of almost 2.1" in opposite to the NA GTI

No! His car would only be lowered .3", the only difference between the NA and the rest of the world is the spring height, so going to lower springs dosnt compound the drop.

cmdrfire

Hmn, thanks for the advice guys. Reason I don't want the car dropped is that I'm worried that the wider profile tyres (235) will catch on the archways, but 0.3" drop with stiffer springs sounds pretty good... I'll call up a few places, but I think the Eibach Prokits are going to be the ones I get.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Bigger (stiffer) rear sway bar should do quite nice for what you are requiring at this time.

And a hollow bar as opposed to solid (to save on weight).

That's from an old Roadracer/Autox guy!

BTW, I love your Blue!

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
^^ can not agree more. A rear sway bar is going to control the body roll and give your car more neutral behaviours on the twisties and sharp corners. Lowering it helps as well, but at this giving point, I do not know the spring rates of any brands so i can not advise on that. I have always been opposed to lowering the car on stock shocks, not enough dampening will hurt eventually, and it does not happen overnite but in 12-15K spirited driving is enough to hurt the oem shocks with lowering springs. Strut brace, I gotta drive it more to make a decision on it.

Berk

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Strut braces seem to do very little in todays cars with the lower center of gravity... unless of course you are tracking the car (on a race course soley).
Sway bar is the way.

On my old '83 GTI featured in my photos in here, I have in the REAR:
the stock rear bar on the car with a Huge hollow tubular bar, inside connecting the shock towers I have a ABT strut brace (made little difference).
In FRONT: On the bottom is a smaller bar with short lever arms and has an intergrated stress bar (this combo works the best at the front/bottom) and up top is a GMP stress bar).
I used to do serious Roadracing/Autoxing long ago with her and now she sits under a cover with a $3,000 paint job and only comes out on nice summer days.

I had the old huge coil springs up front for racing (300 + lb spring rate and lowered car 2.5"), now it has street/autox springs 1.5" lower than stock and 200 lb rate springs.

The bigger hollow tube bar in the back woke the car up and really made it track flat! Works real well with my street configuration

cmdrfire

Hmn... thanks for the informations Wild Hare... something else to think about!

Will the strut brace give a slightly firmer ride? Because that's what I'm ultimately after... when my car's loaded down with weight (ie, four of my fat friends and skinny ol' me) and I go over a speedbump my wheels touch the bolt on my wheelarches, and I want something to stop that basically as well as improve the handling. I figured if I had some stiffer springs with no drop, that'd achieve the desired effect... as well as improving the handling a bit. Hence stiffer springs... thoughts?