GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stg2+ GTI vs Celica GTS

karl87

Ready to race!
I usually dont post stories here but this one has some humor to it so I thought Id share. Driving back from a show and shine here in Idaho there was a blue Celica GT-S (Newest body style) with a full body kit and 2millionK hid's. He came up along side me looked over and yelled "wanna race!" I said "sure where do you want to go?" He asked me to follow him and I did, so about 6 miles later he waves me along side him and says he will honk 3 times and we will go. So I waited and he honked, I waited to make sure he was on it and I decimated him, IDK maybe 10 car lengths by the time I was in 4th gear (we did a 20mph roll) He asked to go again from a stop, The results where even worse for him. So I pulled into a parking lot to talk to the guy and he told me how he though I just had a stock turbo and how he has never lost and cars around here aint shit. That's when I told him it was a stock turbo and he said yeah well I've never lost even to sti's and evo's. I asked his mods and he said stage2 clutch, short shifter, exhaust, intake and tune. He said hes at least 250whp. I wasnt laughing at him on the outside and I told him to come to our get together on saturday where we go out to race, he said hed be there... He wasn't.

my buddie had a 2000 GTS celica w/ I/ported header/exhaust/PFC tune and all he could muster was a 14 flat at 100...so basically a stgI mkv...ie kinda slow...and getting to 200whp N/A isnt easy in them...they have a very limited and expensive aftermarket...the 2zz may be considered the baby K20, but it has nowhere near the support...

karl87

Ready to race!
With his mods if he even had a tune which I doubt, I'm guessing he is around 185 whp. If hes lucky. I was expecting a turbo because that body kit was actually done rather nicely and the paint matched perfectly. But I guess he just put his money elsewhere.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
op is puppy kicker

With his mods if he even had a tune which I doubt, I'm guessing he is around 185 whp. If hes lucky. I was expecting a turbo because that body kit was actually done rather nicely and the paint matched perfectly. But I guess he just put his money elsewhere.

careful on that guestimate...@185whp the 2500lbs GTS will run 14flats@99-100mph(assuming he got there w/ a tune)...i would assume he was an auto...ie high 16sec 1/4 car...stock auto GTS's will run low 17's, vs low low 15's w/ the manu. 6spd stock...assuming your only a basic bolt-on tune car; 10 cars in that short amount of time is pretty substantial for a car that only runs high 13's vs low 14's...:thumbsup:

for example...this is a I/PH/E/tune XRS corolla(same motor/tranny) making about 185whp vs a I/tune DSG GTI from a 20 roll...and the corolla is about 100-150lbs heavier that a GTS...

Last edited:

PooLeArMor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 CW GTi
u drove 6 miles with him so that u can race him ??

i dont know how many ppl would do that.......

karl87

Ready to race!
u drove 6 miles with him so that u can race him ??

i dont know how many ppl would do that.......

Not many but it was Sunday and I thought his car might actually be quick. I live in a town with 40,000 people and its the biggest town in 250 miles so there's not allot of opportunity to race.

VMPhil

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GLI and 73' Mini
I love the High strung motor on those but yeah the tuning aftermarket is a bit short. Such a shame. its a great engine. The guy in OPs story was obviously not 250whp. especially not NA unless he had a shit ton of work done on the engine, and it still lost to a stg 2+ GTI.

Boosted_R56

Ready to race!
his nos didnt kick in