GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering rack replacement

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
Same here. I had mine replaced back in October. My symptom was a loud clicking/knocking sound whenever making tight turns at low speeds (i.e. parking, etc). No clue what caused it, but originally they replaced my subframe, however that fix did not work. So far so good w/ the new rack. FWIW VW extended my bumper to bumper warranty for a year because it took them multiple attempts to diagnose and fix the issue. It also took about 8 weeks to get new steering rack parts.
The dealer wanted to replace my subframe to. They said it was most likely cracked. That was before they realized the steering rack was the real issue. Luckily, I was under the car a couple days prior to bringing it in trying to diagnose the issues myself so I knew there was no issue with the subframe. Long story short, I discouraged the replacement of the subframe because I knew it was not the issue. Glad I did because there was nothing wrong with the subframe and there was a 8 week lead time that they would have had my car for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
What were the symptoms? Mine failed also.
Clicking noise and feeling in the steering wheel like there was a shot tire rod end while turning left or right.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
Lateral impact to your wheel is usually the common denominator when it comes to broken racks

I can confirm this. Mine failed as result of an evasive maneuver that unforuntately led to my front wheel slamming against the side of a curb. It was a lateral impact, as the wheel was near parallel with the curb when it hit. As a result, I got an EPC light and a code that said something like "impossible angle." The car seemed to drive fine, but the code was persistent and the rack had to be replaced as well as the wheel, but only for cosmetic reasons.

Don't panic - - it was a significant impact, not something that even the worst parallel parking attempt could cause.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
When in doubt, have the dealer do the alignment after any coils or springs. That way they'll be a little more forgiving towards warranty work, should anything arise. Besides they have dedicated Hunter equipment modified for VW/Audi. With a printout on their system, they'd be hard pushed to say well the out of spec geometry caused the issue. Not a guarantee but it certainly adds the odds in your favor.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
It does work that way. When you lower a car, it changes the geometry of all of the geometry components. I know that much. I was just inquiring if anybody had this same issue and/or what they did about it to prevent it from happening again.

Only thing you will wear out more are the inner and outer tie rods.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
I have a 2018 GTI SE 6MT. I purchased it new. Currently at 16,900 miles.

I went in for an oil change (VW White Plains, NY). I mentioned that I was hearing a bit of a 'clunk' over small bumps. Clunk's been there since 10K miles.

They are replacing my steering rack (eventually, as parts are back-ordered).

Anyone run into this?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I can confirm this. Mine failed as result of an evasive maneuver that unforuntately led to my front wheel slamming against the side of a curb. It was a lateral impact, as the wheel was near parallel with the curb when it hit. As a result, I got an EPC light and a code that said something like "impossible angle." The car seemed to drive fine, but the code was persistent and the rack had to be replaced as well as the wheel, but only for cosmetic reasons.

Don't panic - - it was a significant impact, not something that even the worst parallel parking attempt could cause.

Interesting. I did the same thing 6 months ago hard enough to cause the inside of the wheel to bulge inward and throw it out of round/true. Had to replace the wheel, but no problem with tie rods or anything else on rack. Even the alignment was unchanged afaict.

Cesco_93

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S M/T
Same here. I had mine replaced back in October. My symptom was a loud clicking/knocking sound whenever making tight turns at low speeds (i.e. parking, etc).

I'm getting the same noise from my steering rack. I'm wondering if raising my car a bit will help.

glayfan40

Passed Driver's Ed
Just had my steering rack replaced under warranty as well. It’s a 2018 Autobahn DSG. Car has ~18,000 miles, stock suspension parts, and is not lowered. It was making clicking noises at low (parking speeds) when the steering wheel is turned. So far so good after replacement.