GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 Question..?

itsYANO

08 GTI mkV Midnight Black
Car(s)
08 GTI mkV
Okay so ive been wondering.. i have heard about the whole GIAC-X file thing.. and i heard its optimized for the AWE TBE now i know that you can run the same file without it.. and if you do run it without doing so its basically like running stg 1 software..

now my question is if you have stg 2 mods (TBE for example) on GIAC.. how does that measure up against other chips that are flashed with Stg 2 sofware (REVO APR for example).. so i guess basically my question is if you had the same stg 2 mods on a GIAC flashed car vs a APR/REVO stg2 flashed car will the power gains be similar?:iono:

im only wondering because i know that GIAC supposedly adapts and compensates for the new parts you put in, but just how adaptable can it be? it seems hard to believe a chip will be able to adapt to a point where other flashes have an entirely different software to use..i dont know tho thats why im asking.. and i was just wondering if any of you had any experience with this..

also side question.. what kind of software/mods do you need to run with stock s2k's? anyone know? my buddy has one and i want to see the look on his face when he can no longer take me lol

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Well, my friend has GIAC and the ATP catless DP and EVOMS intake and he dynoed 233whp and 266wtq. I did not have my APR Stg 2 at the time though, but I dynoed 204whp 215wtq with the P flo and ATP DP only. A guy with just GIAC and no intake or DP did 215whp and something around 233wtq.

It's hard to say though, as every dyno is different and the weather is very dependent on power.

madvillian

Banned
Maybe just give GIAC a call or send them an email. The will probably be able to give you estimated crank numbers. Even though most people here don't care about BHP, sometimes it's helpful because WHP is so subjective.

When I was trying to decide on software a while ago, I emailed APR to ask what kind of power Stage 2, and 100 octane would make because the numbers weren't advertised on their site, and the got back to me really quickly with the answers I was looking for.

Whichever tuner you go with I don't think you'll be dissapointed. I can't find it now, but I think I saw a dyno sheet a while back with GIAC and an ATP DP and it looked pretty good.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Maybe just give GIAC a call or send them an email. The will probably be able to give you estimated crank numbers. Even though most people here don't care about BHP, sometimes it's helpful because WHP is so subjective.

When I was trying to decide on software a while ago, I emailed APR to ask what kind of power Stage 2, and 100 octane would make because the numbers weren't advertised on their site, and the got back to me really quickly with the answers I was looking for.

Whichever tuner you go with I don't think you'll be dissapointed. I can't find it now, but I think I saw a dyno sheet a while back with GIAC and an ATP DP and it looked pretty good.

As I said earlier, GIAC, ATP DP, and EVOMS with a 6MT tranny got 233whp and 266wtq on a dynojet, with it being about 66 deg F out and somewhat damp.

BHP can be measure by figuring 15-20% drivetrain loss from the whp amount.

itsYANO

08 GTI mkV Midnight Black
Car(s)
08 GTI mkV
As I said earlier, GIAC, ATP DP, and EVOMS with a 6MT tranny got 233whp and 266wtq on a dynojet, with it being about 66 deg F out and somewhat damp.

yea well im kindof a newb... does that sound about right for those mods at stg 2?

madvillian

Banned

My point is you could take that exact same car on the same day to a different dyno and get totally different numbers. And I think the dyno I saw had a little more torque than your friend. It's so subjective you can't say well I dynoed XXX whp w/ REVO, and he dynoed XXX w/ APR so REVO makes better power. Dyno numbers really don't mean a lot to me, the only real use I see in them in benchmarking to show power added from mods on the same car, same dyno, same conditions.

That's why I suggested he contact the tuner directly to get the crank numbers they came up with during their testing process, because that number will give him a more accurate idea of what his car will be making than someone elses dyno run, where the numbers would be almost impossible to recreate on a different dyno. This is shown everytime someone posts a dyno run. I've seen stage 1 cars dyno anywhere from the 190's to 230's.

Also 20% loss is pretty high for a FWD drive car. The OP can do whatever he wants I was just giving a suggestion. Peace.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
yea well im kindof a newb... does that sound about right for those mods at stg 2?

Give or take. It really depends on the starting whp and torque of the motor as every motor is broken in. Then you have to factor the climate (humidity and temperature), the dyno you're on, which tune you have, etc.

Revo tends to be higher than APR and GIAC; it's usually just a more agressive tune. But I would say that all Stg 2 2.0T's are within the range of 230-260whp and 260-285wtq. That's if they don't have other little tweaks like the wastgate tweak that will shorten the life of the turbo drastically and isn't a novice mod to do unless you have a lot of money to spend on a big turbo.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
My point is you could take that exact same car on the same day to a different dyno and get totally different numbers. And I think the dyno I saw had a little more torque than your friend. It's so subjective you can't say well I dynoed XXX whp w/ REVO, and he dynoed XXX w/ APR so REVO makes better power. Dyno numbers really don't mean a lot to me, the only real use I see in them in benchmarking to show power added from mods on the same car, same dyno, same conditions.

That's why I suggested he contact the tuner directly to get the crank numbers they came up with during their testing process, because that number will give him a more accurate idea of what his car will be making than someone elses dyno run, where the numbers would be almost impossible to recreate on a different dyno. This is shown everytime someone posts a dyno run. I've seen stage 1 cars dyno anywhere from the 190's to 230's.

Also 20% loss is pretty high for a FWD drive car. The OP can do whatever he wants I was just giving a suggestion. Peace.

I agree with you. Dyno's are just that, a benchmark and bragging rights. If you can't put that power to the ground or aren't a good driver, you're power is useless.

That's a perfect example in one of Rev's videos with his G35 with just CAI beating a 350Z with exhaust and intake and a lot less weight. Rev can drive. Driver's mod for the win. And yeah, 20% may be high for FWD loss. Probably closer to 15%.