GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

stage 2 CEL P2096

Sam_Shake

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'06 GTI
i have no access to a vag-com. so i tried autozone for my CEL problem.
heres the problem ever since i went stage dos with revo i had a check engine light on for a day or so then turn off for a day then back on. when i switched catbacks the cel stayed on and autozone pulled two codes but both of them was the p2096 code.

just need input. i wanna try to fix this or ill just go to the dealership so they can rape me for the fix.

code is cat fuel trim system too lean bank 1

help!

mdpay

Passed Driver's Ed
P2096

I just had the same code 2 weeks ago. I installed my Turbo Back exhaust and went with an APR flash. After all finished I kept getting the code.

Turns out it was an exhaust leak. I could not hear anything leaking, but air was being drawn into the exhaust between the downpipe and cat.

Sam_Shake

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'06 GTI
hmmm maybe thats could be the problem ill have to check that!

axisnate02

wheelman
Car(s)
TR MKV GTI / 2DR 6MT
I just had the same code 2 weeks ago. I installed my Turbo Back exhaust and went with an APR flash. After all finished I kept getting the code.

Turns out it was an exhaust leak. I could not hear anything leaking, but air was being drawn into the exhaust between the downpipe and cat.

what did you do to fix the leak? I have the same code and im stage 2.

mdpay

Passed Driver's Ed
exhaust leak fix

My apr exhaust has slip joints, so I overlapped the upper and lower downpipes as much as possible then confirmed the clamps were properly installed and torqued. I do not have any spacers on my O2 sensors.

Like I said, I fixed the small leak that I could not hear. I am 100% this was the cause. I tried resetting my cel 5 times, each time the same code came back within 20 miles. After the exhaust adjustment 500 miles no cel.

Sam_Shake

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'06 GTI
i couldnt hear any leak either i think its my clamp form cat to dp one nut is tight the other one on the cat side is loose bc the top part doesnt catch so i can tighten the nut. i have to rig it someway. but the clamp semms to be on there good idk. it did turn on after i changed catbacks

Sam_Shake

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'06 GTI
but wait technically some ppl run straight pipes after dp and have no problems right? so whats diff if the clamp is loose?

Chris@RT

Banned
but wait technically some ppl run straight pipes after dp and have no problems right? so whats diff if the clamp is loose?

A leak is different then a straight pipe. A small hole in the exhaust actually can draw air IN, not just blow it out. The flow of air across the hole cause a venturi sucking fresh air in which throws off the AF readings hence the rear 02 lean code you have. I have also seen this with 02 sensors spaced too far out of the exhaust stream.

Sam_Shake

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'06 GTI
it has to be a leak then cuz i have no spacers in my o2 sensors. thanks! hopefully i figure this out by monday

axisnate02

wheelman
Car(s)
TR MKV GTI / 2DR 6MT
Interestingly, my p2096 CEL randomly went away 2 days ago, and hasn't come back on since. How can a leak in the DP just go away like that?

Sam_Shake

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'06 GTI
probably you hit a bump that sealed a leak in your clamp or something.