GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SPRINGS VS SWAY BAR? Which to do!?

Heco94

Ready to race!
:readthethread:

Well I'm new to the VDub Modding stuff ,and modifying your car in general. I'm looking to improve the handling on a MK5 Rabbit.

On my other threads I've asked about braking and springs and I've gotten my answers but now after that I'm reevaluating my modding choices ..

I was going to go with :

HPS Hawk pads all round'
Eibach pro-kit springs
27mm rear sway bar from namotorsports

but know I've done more research ,and I'm not sure about the eibach's people have problems running stock shocks with aftermarket springs .. :mad0259:

HERE'S THE MAIN QUESTION (if you answer anythign this is really most important):

Will these springs improve my handling that much that there needed .. Since I'm going with a sway bar ( that's HUGE in the rear) will that be enough is the handling on the mk5 rabbit that bad?

what other possible combination's can I run

Ex: larger sway bars alround

like a 27mm in the back and hmm 24 in front
or tie downs or something.

I've read people who have lost there power steering from aftermarket springs and stock shocks

I really can't afford coil's and am not going to save for them

Sop am I just being stupid and springs arn't that bad or is this true and they don't improve handling enough ( risk is greater than reward )

also I'm only going with the Eibach Pro-kit springs if I but springs ..

Thanks for the help I know I'm blasting the forum with threads but I'm new :iono:

geboost07

X20A Strike Freedom
Car(s)
golf gti
i would say go with springs, it helps the looks of the car and also lowers you center of balance. i havent heard anything about people loosing power steering on MC PHERSON struts but if they only relate to eibachs then go with H&R's. a sway bar is a great choice too! but i cant justify getting a sway bar with stock ride height, over lowering the car then getting the sway bar.

Heco94

Ready to race!
Hmm ya I guess It's stupid but there is a guy a few links down that's why I posted this .. I might go with the 1st line up .. but still it ..seems sketchy , but ya a non lowered car with sway bars is a waste of sway bars at least in the rabbit .I've only test driven the car haven't done the ball's to the walls curvey road thing I'll do that when I buy it still chould use some support/help on what to do I am a newbie =[

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Springs.. hands down

posted with my phone

Heco94

Ready to race!
Springs.. hands down

posted with my phone

you seem to post a lot with your phone :wink: ya I'm thinking about going with both the APR sway bar (27mm) and the springs just wait for this guy to see what he say's until I make my final choice :thumbsup: and by the way thanks for all the help today josein06gli you've helped me on all of my posts :thumbsup:

stringshifter6

Nom Nom Nom
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Too big a sway bar will ruin the balance of the car, especially on stock springs. A bigger bar will help you rotate on an autocross though.

IMO 27 is a little large, go for the 24mm H&R rear bar. The front does not need to be touched. The car is better balanced with a matched set of bars but it's a hassle to install the front one. I don't know if you're willing to deal with it.

I'd rather go with springs first in your case.

This is a great thread to read. Here

geboost07

X20A Strike Freedom
Car(s)
golf gti
Too big a sway bar will ruin the balance of the car, especially on stock springs. A bigger bar will help you rotate on an autocross though.

IMO 27 is a little large, go for the 24mm H&R rear bar. The front does not need to be touched. The car is better balanced with a matched set of bars but it's a hassle to install the front one. I don't know if you're willing to deal with it.

I'd rather go with springs first in your case.

This is a great thread to read. Here

hmm good intel!

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Your welcome dude. That's what the forum is for to help each other out and give each other solid advice to help fix things or mod our cars. I have a Sprint Evo with the tapatalk app. I can post faster than I can even when on my computer lol

posted with my phone

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
^75% my posts of from my iphone, im just too cheap to get the 1.99 tapatalk app for my phone lol

anyway OP, springs first.

LOUCFUR

DIÄBLÖ
Car(s)
GTI MKV
lower it 1st

DivineStrike

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 Black Magic GTI
hmm...ruin the "balance" of the car with a big rear sway bar??? what balance? all fwd cars understeer like crazy from stock and you can never really get rid of it. Sway bar is quick and easy makes the car handle much better. 27mm isn't too much. makes the stock gti suspension pretty much perfectly neutral so far as I can tell. Will know more next auto-x. but my advice is ride it stock, then RSB, then Koni yellow's (or if you want do the koni's first), then brakes.

It all depends on what you're looking for, most VW owners make lowering the car for looks quite the priority and center of gravity isn't going to help the majority of drivers. and from what i've read going too low effects the original driving dynamics of the car from which it was designed. And i've also noticed a decent ride height allows the sway bar to do its job a little better. not as much travel when your lower.

Edit: and read your other thread makes sure the brakes are HPS+ not the regular HPS' and I say brakes last because during the occasional auto-x your stock brakes will be fine, you'll enjoy your suspension upgrades far more. Replace the brakes when the old ones wear out or before you do anything on the track

Last edited:

Heco94

Ready to race!
Hmm .. I can't afford shock's on my current salary ( I'm 16 ,and have a minimum wage job ,AND have to save a little for college and what not just in case fund). I'll go with the brakes and fluid first , the the springs and bar , then an Intake and after a year or two shocks when I get a better job ... Hope my springs don't kill my shock's until then "fingers crossed"

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
Join the military, this way u dont need to save for college and u can mod the dub :bellyroll:

Pm me for details..

DivineStrike

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 Black Magic GTI
^^^+1 ;)
and don't waste your money on something you don't need right now. Save the money from brakes and go with suspension upgrades first...RSB...in your situation it seems to be your best bang for the buck mod, and you won't regret getting the rear sway bar first. you are not going to be able to tell a difference upgrading your brakes right off the bat, your tires can only handle so much stopping force. upgrading brakes is more for when you constantly use your brakes in performance situations like tracking or maybe heavy auto-x, especially when using r-comps...it's to prevent brake fade, which you most likely will not see on the street or even in your first dozen auto-x's