GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spotted Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
Spotted: Black Ford Focus XR5 Turbo

Cruising behind the Canberra centre yesterday. Looked pretty agro on the road. wheels looked very nice. Not a fan of the XR5 badging tho. I'd track down some ST badges from the UK and rebadge it if it were mine... I was wishing I had my MkV when I saw it...

Also spotted: Ferrari 360 Modena on the Monaro highway. going to opposite way to me unfortunately. Pretty rare around these parts... How sad. :frown:

Last edited:

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
i thought the x5r was only in the orange color?

see a silver mkv gti getting round my area with euro plates n kv i think.

SSS_Hoon

miketoti

Autocross Newbie
I test drove an XR5 about 2 weeks ago. It was okay, nothing special. The ride wasn't overly inspiring, the interior plastics weren't of the highest quality and steering wheel felt good, but was let down by the less inspiring plastic centre, encasing the blue oval bagdge. It felt slower than a DSG GTI and suffered from torque steer. I expected more from it's output specs and the "noise from the exhaust", well it needed to be louder inside the cabin but it did have a nice note! Overall a good car for the mula but not in the same class as the GTI in terms of finish, quality and total package.
The ford is a difficult choice for me. If i didn't have a GTI on order I'd definately consider one but I would only pay its base 36k, I honestly don't think its worth any more due to its lack of toys and im not a big fan of its exterior, aside from the wheels (which i got over in 5 mins), its just a zetec focus with some duff badges. The car I test drove was black with leather, tints and alarm - "Top of the range" I got told. Then he hit me with the price...44k! I chuckled and told him for an extra 5k, I can get my Golf with xenons, sunroof, dsg, dual climate, sensitive wipers/headlights, cruise control and multi-function steering wheel, all of which the xr5 lacks both in standard and optional form. The superior quality finish inside-out, better residual and 3 years free service is just a bonus!

sola|2a

vdubinmatownhaus
miketoti said:
I test drove an XR5 about 2 weeks ago. It was okay, nothing special. The ride wasn't overly inspiring, the interior plastics weren't of the highest quality and steering wheel felt good, but was let down by the less inspiring plastic centre, encasing the blue oval bagdge. It felt slower than a DSG GTI and suffered from torque steer. I expected more from it's output specs and the "noise from the exhaust", well it needed to be louder inside the cabin but it did have a nice note! Overall a good car for the mula but not in the same class as the GTI in terms of finish, quality and total package.
The ford is a difficult choice for me. If i didn't have a GTI on order I'd definately consider one but I would only pay its base 36k, I honestly don't think its worth any more due to its lack of toys and im not a big fan of its exterior, aside from the wheels (which i got over in 5 mins), its just a zetec focus with some duff badges. The car I test drove was black with leather, tints and alarm - "Top of the range" I got told. Then he hit me with the price...44k! I chuckled and told him for an extra 5k, I can get my Golf with xenons, sunroof, dsg, dual climate, sensitive wipers/headlights, cruise control and multi-function steering wheel, all of which the xr5 lacks both in standard and optional form. The superior quality finish inside-out, better residual and 3 years free service is just a bonus!

so what was the saleman's reaction to your comments? lol

looks like the GTI is getting a fair share of competition, but i believe the main threat would be the MPS3 and the new clio sport 192

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
So were there any MKV GTI's in this years Targa Tasmania?

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
I don't believe there was.

There's a MkV GTI in this years Dutton tho.

miketoti

Autocross Newbie
Quote: "so what was the saleman's reaction to your comments? lol"

Well needless to say, he hasn't contacted me since then, but prior to the test drive was in touch every second day. He didn't say much really, commented that the golf was spoilt with technology, asked what the DSG was and that was about it. The funny thing is, his Dealer owns the biggest VW franchise in Melbourne and a few of their staff rotate through branches, obviously not him!

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
i think the main competition for the mkv will be the astra VXR not the mps3 or whatever it is.

i too want to go and take a focus for a test drive.

might rock up in the gti and say thinking of changin and see if they lets us fang around in the st.

SSS_Hoon

ab156

Go Kart Champion
My brother-in-law picked up up his XR5T on Thurdsay (one day after I got my GTI).

We test drove the XR5 together a few weeks back and I was very close to signing up for one. It is a very nice car for the money (I was going to get fleet discount). Personally I was a bit dissapointed with a few little things that lead me to widen my options. As posted earlier it was just dumb luck I got the GTI (I needed a car NOW).

Spent a few hours driving them back to back yesterday. Fun way to spend an afternoon! The sound from the XR5 is so stout - sounds like a small block V8 under full(ish) throttle. Feels to me like you sit ON the XR5T and you sit IN the GTI - no amount of seat fiddling fixed it but that is probably just me. The XR5T is much softer and does not have the body control of the GTI. The DSG make the GTI feel much quicker. Once the cars have a few km on board we will do some longer, harder comparisons.

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
sweet they sound great.

i think when they are both run in you need to do a dyno day together then a 1/4 mile together to get the real results.

got pics?

SSS_Hoon

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
Looks awful with those XR5 Turbo badges...

Like I said, I'd try and track down ST badging on eBay or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.