GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speedo Fix.... really

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
Hey everyone,
I don't know if it has been posted but when I got to work today on my toolbox was a new tech bulletin about the speed issue we all seem to be having. It is Tech bulletin OR and it has the tech recode the dash insert that controls the speedo. I hope this helps everyone. By the way the reason our speedos are off is due to using the european tire sizes when calibrating the us models. Again, hope this helps everyone.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
if you get a chance when you do a car can you tell us how it worked, some think a dealer vag tool will make it work and a normal ross-tech will not for some reason.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
if you get a chance when you do a car can you tell us how it worked, some think a dealer vag tool will make it work and a normal ross-tech will not for some reason.

x2, and does putting bigger tires fix the problem? i know 18" rims w/ tires only make it like .1 or something bigger then a 16 or 17?

Gtiguy182

Clean MKV Owner
hey man if u fix the problem wanna fix my speedo to i live like 5mins from NH in Lowell, Ma right near Atamain VW

I also work at a dealer, except I'm a salesperson...
Anyway, I had mine in the shop yesterday for the fix. The tech said the bulletin doesn't apply to '06 models (not true from what I've found), but he said he'd look into it anyway. He did so, and told me that the tire settings were on European and not USA (or something like that). He set it right, and now instead of my Speedometer reading 9-10 mph over, it's now down to 1-4. I tested with my GPS system tied to Delorme Earthmate.

plac

GTI Master
you can go from 225/45/17 to 225/50/17 for something like a 3.5% improvement in speedo reading.

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
I did a passat today and according to our dyno it worked perfect (the dyno is for emission testing). To the guy in Lowell, I work at Amesbury VW. Come in and ask for Steve (service advisor, I told him people from this board would be coming in) and tell him you want Kevin to fix the speedo problem. I don't get any extra money from it but I will take great care of you car.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
K......so now I am confused. Does this work on the 06 or not. Also, is the dealer fix different from what we have all tried the ross tech VAG?

TheRisingTide

Ready to race!
i have an 07. How off are the speedos cause I got 2 tickets for speeding on Wednesday. Yeah I know two in the same fucking day. I was driving on the freeway, and had the cruise set to exactly 10 over, and both times got hit doing 16 over

plac

GTI Master
The speedo reads fast, not slow. So you would be going slower than your speedo said. But with 2 tix in one day, i sure wouldnt blame the cops..

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
K......so now I am confused. Does this work on the 06 or not. Also, is the dealer fix different from what we have all tried the ross tech VAG?

if you check http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Volkswagen/index-issue.html

and look at TSB-9006-01 and TSB-0006-10 they are for both '06 and '07 Speedometer issue.

Dealer doesn't use a VAG, they have a different diagnostic tool...so i ASSUME it is different. since people have reported no difference with VAG adjustment. Just take it in to the dealer give them the above TSB's and go test.

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
i have an 07. How off are the speedos cause I got 2 tickets for speeding on Wednesday. Yeah I know two in the same fucking day. I was driving on the freeway, and had the cruise set to exactly 10 over, and both times got hit doing 16 over

If this is the case, then you may have to seek legal recourse. Your speedometer should NEVER read slower then you are going, that is WHY SPECIFICALLY all Speedometers are set to read 5% faster then you really are, to avoid situations like yours!!!

I would def get a GPS or something and test it, if it is reading SLOWER then you are really going, then you can CONTACT VWoA and you will have a case, and those tickets maybe dropped.