GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spare Key

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
I've been searching for an extremely long time now and haven't found any very helpful information. I bought my 2006 GTI used and only got one key with it. A switch-blade style dealio. Three problems with this situation. Firstly, if I lose my key, I'm hosed. Secondly, in the winter, I would like to be able to start my car, lock it, and go back inside to let it warm up. The locking part comes in mainly when I'm going out to eat or something and I want to warm up my car and not have to keep an eye on it. Thirdly, when I go swimming I need to carry my key with me. Clearly I can't carry my switch-blade with me. I don't like stashing it under my bumper or something.

What I'm looking for is a part number for the valet key or viable replacement that doesn't have any electronics to get fouled up by water. Or just a RELIABLE place that I can get the key from. I do not want to go to the dealer and trade my organs for a new key.

The part number for my remote key is HLO 1K0 959 753 H if that helps.

kongzilla

I dont think there is anyway around going to the dealer, as the chip embedded in the key must still be matched to the immobilizer in the instrument cluster.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
I don't mind going to the dealer and paying them to pair it with my car, I just don't want to buy their hella overpriced keys. Last time I asked, they only offered me the switch-blade style key, not just a regular ol' key. Which was a billion dollars, give or take a kidney.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
Found an answer. I spent hours last night using different combos of spare key, replacement key, valet key, and all sorts of things in the forum search and then pouring through all the results with no luck. I just did a google search out of desperation (didn't expect to get anything trustworthy) and I found this not so old thread:

http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106806

At any rate, I guess I'll try out ikeyless. I hope it works because that thread never confirmed if it did or not. Whenever I get around to getting a new key, I'll post back here.

xola3que

euroturd
Take the switchblade into the pool. It's not a problem. I forgot my key in the pant pocket and put the whole damn thing in the washer heavy cycle. Came out still working like a charm.
LOL

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
Price gouging much? Jesus... Well, things are usually cheaper here in the dirty south. So hopefully I won't have to spend that much on five minutes of program work.

roz

Car(s)
07 Rabbit 5sp
you don't need to go to a dealer to reprogram if all you want to do is the 2 uses you describe.

1) for winter - buy any used key off ebay, just use the electronics side of the key that can be paired for free by you to the car. You can actually pull the blade side of the key off so you don't get confused. this won't start the car but the remote will work, so you put you key in the ignition, start the car, lock the door with your remote. (You actually could do this with your key now, just pull the two sides apart.)

2) for swimming, just go get a physical copy made of your blade. when swimming put your fancy fob in the car, lock the door with the simple blade key, swim, unlock the door with the blade. This key won't start the car because it lacks the immobilizer chip but you don't need to do that because you have a nice dry bob key.

If you really want a full spare order one off ebay, get it cut and then take both of your keys into the dealer and pay them to reprogram the ignition to accept both immobilizer chips.

Here is a link to an DIY that shows how the keys come apart and some of the issues:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2293184-DIY-Key-Fob-Immobilizer-Swap-(yes-it-can-be-done)

Last edited:

shinta

Banned
What I'm looking for is a part number for the valet key or viable replacement that doesn't have any electronics to get fouled up by water. Or just a RELIABLE place that I can get the key from. I do not want to go to the dealer and trade my organs for a new key.

The part number for my remote key is HLO 1K0 959 753 H if that helps.

you don't need to worry about water with the switch blade. i take it swiming with me over 50 times, never had a problem. most of the car remote are water proof (unless you go scooba diving)

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
you don't need to go to a dealer to reprogram if all you want to do is the 2 uses you describe.

1) for winter - buy any used key off ebay, just use the electronics side of the key that can be paired for free by you to the car. You can actually pull the blade side of the key off so you don't get confused. this won't start the car but the remote will work, so you put you key in the ignition, start the car, lock the door with your remote. (You actually could do this with your key now, just pull the two sides apart.)

2) for swimming, just go get a physical copy made of your blade. when swimming put your fancy fob in the car, lock the door with the simple blade key, swim, unlock the door with the blade. This key won't start the car because it lacks the immobilizer chip but you don't need to do that because you have a nice dry bob key.

If you really want a full spare order one off ebay, get it cut and then take both of your keys into the dealer and pay them to reprogram the ignition to accept both immobilizer chips.

Here is a link to an DIY that shows how the keys come apart and some of the issues:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2293184-DIY-Key-Fob-Immobilizer-Swap-(yes-it-can-be-done)

Thanks roz. I actually tried starting my car with the blade in the ignition and then lock my car with the buttons removed but for some reason I couldn't get it to work like I'd expect. Or maybe I just thought about doing it but never did... I don't know, it was a while ago. At any rate, I didn't think about having a key that doesn't start the car but unlocks it. That's a good idea. Thanks!

Regarding the key fob being water proof, I've heard of a lot of people accidently washing theirs and it stop working. I don't doubt yours works done after a swim, but I don't want to take a chance, especially considering its my only phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
...this won't start the car but the remote will work, so you put you key in the ignition, start the car, lock the door with your remote....
Are you sure about that?
On my car, whenve a valid key is in the igniiton and the ignition is turned on,
the remotes are disabled. Jsut double checked that.
So once you start the car, the remote is of no help for locking / unlocking doors :iono:
In other words, only a cut metal key in the door will lock / unlock
when the ignition has a valid key and it is turned on.

Thanks roz. I actually tried starting my car with the blade in the ignition and then lock my car with the buttons removed but for some reason I couldn't get it to work like I'd expect.
Seems your experience may have been the same as mine.

FYI
I bought a VW switchblade remote case that included an uncut key blank.
Purchased on eBay from a Hong Kong, China supplier for $17 shipped via airmail,
took about two weeks to arrive.
You can also buy just the uncut key section for even less.

That shell / key assembly does not include the internal electronics,
but for what you want you will not need them.
I purchased the shell to replace the worn button section on one of my keys.
The other half of that section was then used to replace the broken key ring bar on my daughter's mk4 key.
i.e. repaired two switchblade remotes from that one new assembly.
Then I decided to make use of the key blank.
Not all shops who cut keys can cut the VW blank, but some can.
Took the uncut blank key section to a local locksmith who was able to cut the key for $10.
That key still can not start the car, but it will unlock the door.
I keep it in a magnetic hide-a-key holder stuck out of site underneath the car
on the back side of the gas tank.
If you do not know specifically where it is mounted, you would never find it without first lifting the car,
yet I can still blindly access it while the car is on the ground ;)