GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Something a little different

apollosfury

designeddwk
the chrome on my original dsg shift knob was peeling pretty good, so after some looking around i figured out how to take it off and in the process found an alternative solution called the 'tip mod'.

how do take the dsg knob off
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142940

the tip mod is designed to make it so that you can use any shift knob on the dsg/automatic shift post. the pics will illustrate how it works...

bare post with shift engage loop

tip mod installed. set screw feeds through the loop allowing one to just pull up on the knob to engage/disengage

tip mod and knob installed

obviously there's no shift boot yet, but i'm in the process of making one since i can't seem to get the dsg knob and boot to separate.

i would've liked another dsg knob, but $300 is insane to me for such a part. The combined price of the knob and tip mod was $90. i picked up the knob for $20, the tip mod is $60. The last $10 comes from taking the tip mod to a machine shop to have a second set screw hole drilled and tapped. It is designed for a more standard automatic where the engage loop is turned 90 degrees from the dsg set up.

some others have just gotten a manual boot and surround, but for the sake of honesty i'm planning on keeping the dsg surround. the beauty is that if i ever tire of this knob, i can pick up a new one :thumbsup:

apollosfury

designeddwk
thanks everyone. shift boot is about a week out from being done

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
are you going to do a shift boot swap with a manual base plate?

or are you just going to keep the dsg plate in place?

I'm rocking the dsg knob with a manual shift boot swap.

apollosfury

designeddwk
are you going to do a shift boot swap with a manual base plate?

or are you just going to keep the dsg plate in place?

i plan on keeping the dsg base.

apollosfury

designeddwk
Update. Suede boot

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Prana

Since 88'
Looks good man. It would look even more inconspicuous if you swapped the dsg plate for a manual surround trim.